When did halftime get hijacked?

5 minutes ago, Stu said:

Just made up the title in French; it just represents the type of thematic shows which are designed for contests not halftimes at Football games. Halftime is, or supposed to be, a respet for the fans while the dance team dances and the band plays spirited up-beat songs for fans to sing along with; all for the purpose of entertaining the Football crowd with team and school spirit as the fans get in line for nachos, stretch their legs in the stands, or go to restroom. Again, it is a Football game played on a Football field with a Football halftime; not an arts venue of musical refinement.

When someone takes it upon themselves to decide who does or does not have access or rights to a community or identity.

"I love punk bands like Green Day!" 
"Ugh, they're not even punk. They totally sold out."

"Oh man, I love Harry Potter. I am such a geek!" 
"Hardly. Talk to me when you're into theoretical physics."
  • Like 3

4 minutes ago, Kamarag said:

When someone takes it upon themselves to decide who does or does not have access or rights to a community or identity.

"I love punk bands like Green Day!" 
"Ugh, they're not even punk. They totally sold out."

"Oh man, I love Harry Potter. I am such a geek!" 
"Hardly. Talk to me when you're into theoretical physics."

And Again, that does not change the fact that it is still a Football game played on a Football field with a Football halftime; not an arts venue of musical refinement.

I gotta say.... I'm with Stu on this one.  Know your audience.  Now if you'll excuse me I have to go take a shower. I feel dirty. 

Edited by HockeyDad

33 minutes ago, Stu said:

Just made up the title in French; it just represents the type of thematic shows which are designed for contests not halftimes at Football games. Halftime is, or supposed to be, a respet for the fans while the dance team dances and the band plays spirited up-beat songs for fans to sing along with; all for the purpose of entertaining the Football crowd with team and school spirit as the fans get in line for nachos, stretch their legs in the stands, or go to restroom. Again, it is a Football game played on a Football field with a Football halftime; not an arts venue of musical refinement.

Well the high school I went to did both. Played the spirited dance song during halftime for the dancers and played fun tunes almost non stop during the game. Even had a group who learned a show specifically for half-time entertainment. Can't see why a band can't get some practice for performing their show in front of a audience in exchange for all pf that. Perhaps it's worse off where you live Stu.

19 minutes ago, Brass Lover said:

Well the high school I went to did both. Played the spirited dance song during halftime for the dancers and played fun tunes almost non stop during the game. Even had a group who learned a show specifically for half-time entertainment. Can't see why a band can't get some practice for performing their show in front of a audience in exchange for all pf that. Perhaps it's worse off where you live Stu.

I work with, and have worked with, many highly competitive hs bands all across the nation as an independent contractor. The programs that are the most successful in competion, and also receive the most support/respect from their school administrations, athletic departments, and overall community, are the ones that sperate thier artistic-competitive goals from their halftime support entertainment responsibilities. One school band even receives a very healthy amount of donation capital each year from the alumni athletic associatiin for band competition expenses because they keep all the halftimes, except the last home game after the last band contest, fun and spirited and not a dress-rehearsal for the artistic competition. At that one halftime the band presents it's 'award winning' special performance and most everyone in the stands stays put for that performance then goes rather ballistic in their applause! It is all in the priorities and responsibilities.

Edited by Stu
  • Like 2

10 hours ago, ibexpercussion said:

Basically since our activity doesn't end in ball, we aren't granted a "seat at the table." When we go to the admin with concerns, or questions, about when different things may go on during halftime, etc., we are told  nothing, ahead of time, and afterwards that we need to be good supporters of the entire community. They recently tried to make homecoming during halftime, but when one of the class reunions (20 year I believe) that was going to be at the game found out, they called the admin(s) and complained. Then it got moved back to pre-game. The admin will cave to parental or community pressure, but will not even allows us to have a civil, and respectful discourse with all involved parties to be on the same page. Maybe if we start calling ourselves "Marching Band-ball" we'll get more respect.

in some places, no matter what you do, football is king, and alumni aka potential check writers are second.....if not first

8 hours ago, Kamarag said:

This might be the most douchey post I've ever read. Good lord are you making a *lot* of assumptions.

well...around here there are several schools that have a competition show and a football show that appeases the community and it works well