When did halftime get hijacked?

17 minutes ago, Lead said:

I disagree, and argue that nowadays - most of the student body is happy to support their friends in other activities. High School kids these days are a lot different than they were even 10-12 years ago.

Really? Well let's see if they really are happy to support their fellow students in band. What percent of your student body attends a local band contest where you are representing them and your school?

29 minutes ago, Lead said:

So you're saying Band students and their hard work exist solely for the entertainment of the football crowd?

No, that is absurd. There are a plethora of aspects within the music department and music students which have no connection whatsoever to football. So hs band is not 'soley' for the entertainment if the football crowd. But their function on a Friday night at a football game on a football field at a football halftime is to support the football team not their own artistic musicsl endeavors; that musical artistic aspect is reserved for the Saturday music competition (which has nothing to do with football). As for the rest I have not time at this juncture to respond.

58 minutes ago, Lead said:

I disagree, and argue that nowadays - most of the student body is happy to support their friends in other activities. High School kids these days are a lot different than they were even 10-12 years ago.

I believe what you say is correct, but it's not a new phenomenon. I knew one of those old fashioned all purpose coaches who coached claimed to have coached three generations of football teams who required his players to attend a winter band concert and the annual cheerleading exhibition since the band and cheerleaders had to attend all the games (this would have been prior to cheerleading being considered a sport). High schools will always have a hierarchy, but if you work at breaking cliques and build community, you can get kids to attend all sorts of activities and support each other.

11 minutes ago, Tim K said:

I believe what you say is correct, but it's not a new phenomenon. I knew one of those old fashioned all purpose coaches who coached claimed to have coached three generations of football teams who required his players to attend a winter band concert and the annual cheerleading exhibition since the band and cheerleaders had to attend all the games (this would have been prior to cheerleading being considered a sport). High schools will always have a hierarchy, but if you work at breaking cliques and build community, you can get kids to attend all sorts of activities and support each other.

And then you have the coaches and schools who won't even let the band ON the field except for halftime, and even then grudgingly.

Sure...THAT'S support.

Slightly OT, but funny - my son said that during summer athletics conditioning camp a player said something about "band nerds."  The coach stopped everyone and said, "we don't call them band nerds, because - how many of you in here play in the band?"  Over half the room, son included, raised their hands.

Mike

• Like 1

I attended a band contest two weeks ago, on the first Saturday of the competitive marching season here in Ohio. Sitting next to me were parents of a member, not of one of the ten or so high school bands in competitions, but of the college band that was playing in exhibition at the end of the show. The university wasn't too far from the contest location, but the parents were from a part of the state where bands only perform at football games. "I've never bands that played like this," said the mother. But I sensed that she didn't mean that as a compliment. So I asked, "Do you find them to be a bit boring?" And they both said yes.

3 hours ago, Lead said:

Your opinion. Mine is that your example is the exception. 

8 hours ago, Stu said:

Nope, I am suggesting that halftime actually got hijacked when band directors decided it was a self-serving stage to perform their artistic contest material as dress run-throughs and educate the audience on the aspects of musical arts instead of focusing on entertaining and supporting the football crowd on Friday nights.

I can't imagine having time enough to perfect two shows in the small time available for marching band at any school I have worked with since 1971. We provide a lot of support for the team and cheerleaders playing pep tunes n the stands throughout the game. We do our one and only field show at half-time. Reading here there are a few who create two shows, and I know one HS near me that does it, but not any band I have taught. To each their own.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, MikeD said:

I can't imagine having time enough to perfect two shows in the small time available for marching band at any school I have worked with since 1971. We provide a lot of support for the team and cheerleaders playing pep tunes n the stands throughout the game. We do our one and only field show at half-time. Reading here there are a few who create two shows, and I know one HS near me that does it, but not any band I have taught. To each their own.

Doesn't Roxbury in NJ actually have two bands like Broken Arrow? One does competitions, one just for parades and exhibitions?  When my godkids were there and experienced the changed of band directors, for awhile there were kids who did b bands. The way I heard it the exhibition band did football games. It's an excellent h.s. where most band kids are also college bound so they work a job or two They are great spellers early (h.s. is in Succassuna.). Good high school for generating DCI mms.

Edited by xandandl

22 minutes ago, xandandl said:

Doesn't Roxbury in NJ actually have two bands like Broken Arrow? One does competitions, one just for parades and exhibitions?  When my godkids were there and experienced the changed of band directors, for awhile there were kids who did bands. The way I heard it the exhibition band did football games. It's an excellent h.s. where most band kids are also college bound so they work a job or two They are great spellers early (h.s. is in Succassuna.). Good high school for generating DCI mms.

Yes, they are the second I know that does that; I had forgotten about them. Their football band doesn't rehearse much, and does pop=based shows. They have had a great music program for decades. I lived close to Roxbury from 80-92, my first house in Netcong and second in Flanders.

Plus, they have some of the best ice cream anywhere at Cliffs on the traffic circle where Rts 10 and 46 come together.   :3_grin:

Edited by MikeD