When did halftime get hijacked?

13 minutes ago, MikeD said:

Yes, they are the second I know that does that; I had forgotten about them. Their football band doesn't rehearse much, and does pop=based shows. They have had a great music program for decades. I lived close to Roxbury from 80-92, my first house in Netcong and second in Flanders.

Plus, they have some of the best ice cream anywhere at Cliffs on the traffic circle where Rts 10 and 46 come together.   :3_grin:

Yes, my wallet and I have been to Cliffs many times as a good godfather, and even without the godkids, one who now is a band director elsewhere in NJ.

Flanders of course splits itself with Mt. Hope district whose program has grown very well over the decades and often hosts DCI corps on tour as they did this summer.

41 minutes ago, MikeD said:

I can't imagine having time enough to perfect two shows in the small time available for marching band at any school I have worked with since 1971. We provide a lot of support for the team and cheerleaders playing pep tunes n the stands throughout the game. We do our one and only field show at half-time. Reading here there are a few who create two shows, and I know one HS near me that does it, but not any band I have taught. To each their own.

Why does the halftime show have to be done to perfection? Run through about 10 or so pop charts with standard eight measure phrasing one afternoon at band camp with flip folders, teach battery say four cadence grooves that easily fit those charts. Take one morning of camp to teach a very simple drill that encompasses the eight measure phrasing for two charts, do a third chart as a stand still for dance team number, march off to fight song. Different music each home game with flip folders but same simple drill. Crowd goes nuts each week singing and dancing along to stuff which is different each week! Spend the rest of the time perfecting the contest show and earning those trophies, and perform that award winning show at the last home game as a special showcase. Admin is happy, athletic department is happy, football crowd is happy, alumni (who donate money) are happy, award winning band kids are happy, ...

6 hours ago, Stu said:

Really? Well let's see if they really are happy to support their fellow students in band. What percent of your student body attends a local band contest where you are representing them and your school?

Probably the same amount of the student body that attends a football game if it were an hour and a half away... very few, but a few.

6 hours ago, Stu said:

...their function on a Friday night at a football game on a football field at a football halftime is to support the football team not their own artistic musicsl endeavors...

Why? Why can't it be to showcase their REAL purpose - their continuance of their MUSIC education?

Can't it be different for different places?

And who are YOU to decide anyone's purpose? The world doesn't revolve around some 1970s Texas idea of football.

3 hours ago, HockeyDad said:

Your opinion. Mine is that your example is the exception. 

It's not an opinion. I'm active in the field, it's a fact.

You'd be intelligent not to argue the facts of someone who is knowledgeable and out there on Friday nights (and in the hallways every day).

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Lead said:

Probably the same amount of the student body that attends a football game if it were an hour and a half away... very few, but a few.

But you said, "...nowadays - most of the student body is happy to support their friends in other activities. High School kids these days are a lot different than they were even 10-12 years ago." That sounds like the exact same support, or lack thereof, student bodies have provided for band performances since before I was born.

1 minute ago, Lead said:

It's not an opinion. I'm active in the field, it's a fact.

You'd be intelligent not to argue the facts of someone who is knowledgeable and out there on Friday nights (and in the hallways every day).

Nope, it is your opinion based on your personal experiences. To be fact you would have to prove it is that way for most all programs.

Just now, Stu said:

But you said, "...nowadays - most of the student body is happy to support their friends in other activities. High School kids these days are a lot different than they were even 10-12 years ago." That sounds like the exact same support, or lack thereof, student bodies have provided for band performances since before I was born.

You took my quote out of context. I was referring to the student body supporting the Band at home football games. Very few ever travel to long distance events - be it football, basketball, band contest, cross country meets, etc.

1 minute ago, Stu said:

Nope, it is your opinion based on your personal experiences. To be fact you would have to prove it is that way for most all programs.

No, it is FACT in my area, it is not an opinion. An opinion has no factual basis.

I respected some of you a lot more until tonight.

Edited by Lead

6 minutes ago, Lead said:

Why? Why can't it be to showcase their REAL purpose - their continuance of their MUSIC education?

Can't it be different for different places?

And who are YOU to decide anyone's purpose? The world doesn't revolve around some 1970s Texas idea of football.

Ummmmmm.... The United States does relvove around NFL and NCAA football; not BOA, WGI, DCI, ...