When did halftime get hijacked?

Just now, Stu said:

Ummmmmm.... The United States does relvove around NFL and NCAA football; not BOA, WGI, DCI, ...

We're talking about high schools at this point.

3 minutes ago, Lead said:

You took my quote out of context. I was referring to the student body supporting the Band at home football games. Very few ever travel to long distance events - be it football, basketball, band contest, cross country meets, etc.

How many of your student body attend your own contest at your school?

We don't host. Closest contest to our school is 1h 10m away.

2 minutes ago, Lead said:

We don't host. Closest contest to our school is 1h 10m away.

Host a contest; guarantee you the same numbers of student body that will not go a mere hour to support your band at that contest will also not go a few minutes to your stadium for your contest. They go to the football game and happen to see and support you there because they are at the football game. That is reality, and I for one accepted that many years ago as it just being that way.

14 minutes ago, Lead said:

No, it is FACT in my area, it is not an opinion. An opinion has no factual basis.

I respected some of you a lot more until tonight.

If you only respect others when they agree with you, that is not true respect. Just sayin'.

6 hours ago, 84BDsop said:

And then you have the coaches and schools who won't even let the band ON the field except for halftime, and even then grudgingly.

Sure...THAT'S support.

They exist too! 

11 hours ago, Sideways said:

Band I taught for years, in Michigan, has 8 more state championships than the football team.  No issues with respect there.

not always the case at some schools I know

10 hours ago, Stu said:

Nope, I am suggesting that halftime actually got hijacked when band directors decided it was a self-serving stage to perform their artistic contest material as dress run-throughs and educate the audience on the aspects of musical arts instead of focusing on entertaining and supporting the football crowd on Friday nights.

sometimes you can get the best of both worlds in the same show. i doubt you'd agree, but it's true

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Jeff Ream said:

sometimes you can get the best of both worlds in the same show. i doubt you'd agree, but it's true

I agree, surprise! But I also know it is becoming more and more rare for that to occur with many shows now being constructed to modern criteria adjudicated contests.