When did halftime get hijacked?

Some random thoughts...

- There is a very large percentage of high school marching bands in this country who do not compete at all and therefore whatever they play for halftime is whatever they play for halftime. Playing "artsy fartsy fru-fru" shows (or whatever hyperbolic reference one can think of) is not really an issue IMO

- There is also a percentage of high schools in this country who don't even have marching bands, whether it's because the size of the school can't support it, or there is lack of interest, or the programs were eliminated due to budget cuts, etc. This whole halftime thing is obviously not an issue here either because there is no band

- Of the bands across the country who do compete, only a small percentage of them are "BOA bands," and by that I mean the ones who dedicate focusing their season around BOA regionals and/or Grand Nationals events. Even when you factor in the other bands who do compete in BOA but only to fill out their schedule and try and give their students a different kind of educational experience, and the non-BOA bands who emulate those top BOA bands when it comes to show design, it is absolutely impossible to state with any reasonable degree of accuracy how many of those shows being performed (which are different year to year, let's not forget) would fall under the "AFFF" type of shows mentioned above. Many of those shows are exciting and entertaining and filled with life and vitality and have appeal to folks watching the football games as well as competition audiences

- Let's also acknowledge that the opposite can also be true whereby there are many shows designed specifically for the football crowd which can be boring and stale and as unappealing as any AFFF show, whether it's due to poor design or lackluster performance or just complete apathy from the crowd, most of whom aren't paying attention or are off taking a leak or buying hot dogs

Point is, there are so many variables here, it's impossible to describe with authority that only one thing is happening at these halftimes across the country. And even if one focuses on the AFFF teams, it stands to reason that we're talking about a very distinct minority

- As to that minority, if fans at these football games are complaining to the principals and superintendents about it, and the band directors decide to ignore those complaints, then I can see why people would have a problem with that. If you take a job at one of these high schools, even if your competitive resume is strong, you still have a responsibility to put time and effort into the football side of the equation, complete with energetic rah-rah music for the stands during the game, touchdown or victory music, perhaps playing the school's alma mater before and after the game, and of course the national anthem. But if fans aren't complaining, and they are generally OK with what these bands are doing, and the principals are OK with what these bands are doing, and the superintendents are OK with what these bands are doing, then frankly who are we to complain when we're nowhere near being involved?

- In regards to the nitpicky often-times pedantic "letter of the law" stuff (which some people like to focus on by demanding that others cite their sources and quote chapter and verse), I'm going to go out on a limb here and say that I can't imagine there is anything stated in any high school football federation or league rulebook that bands are even required to perform at halftime in the first place. I'd be perfectly happy to admit if I'm wrong on that. But I further can't imagine that these rulebooks would then go on to dictate what types of shows the bands are required to perform, not to mention dictating what the band's purpose for even being there is supposed to be. That kind of thing (issues of roles and expectations) is established by each individual school, and I say again, if the fans and principals and superintendents are OK with it, then really...who the eff cares?!?!

Edited by seen-it-all
  • Like 4

40 minutes ago, seen-it-all said:

Some random thoughts...

- There is a very large percentage of high school marching bands in this country who do not compete at all and therefore whatever they play for halftime is whatever they play for halftime. Playing "artsy fartsy fru-fru" shows (or whatever hyperbolic reference one can think of) is not really an issue IMO

- There is also a percentage of high schools in this country who don't even have marching bands, whether it's because the size of the school can't support it, or there is lack of interest, or the programs were eliminated due to budget cuts, etc. This whole halftime thing is obviously not an issue here either because there is no band

- Of the bands across the country who do compete, only a small percentage of them are "BOA bands," and by that I mean the ones who dedicate focusing their season around BOA regionals and/or Grand Nationals events. Even when you factor in the other bands who do compete in BOA but only to fill out their schedule and try and give their students a different kind of educational experience, and the non-BOA bands who emulate those top BOA bands when it comes to show design, it is absolutely impossible to state with any reasonable degree of accuracy how many of those shows being performed (which are different year to year, let's not forget) would fall under the "AFFF" type of shows mentioned above. Many of those shows are exciting and entertaining and filled with life and vitality and have appeal to folks watching the football games as well as competition audiences

- Let's also acknowledge that the opposite can also be true whereby there are many shows designed specifically for the football crowd which can be boring and stale and as unappealing as any AFFF show, whether it's due to poor design or lackluster performance or just complete apathy from the crowd, most of whom aren't paying attention or are off taking a leak or buying hot dogs

Point is, there are so many variables here, it's impossible to describe with authority that only one thing is happening at these halftimes across the country. And even if one focuses on the AFFF teams, it stands to reason that we're talking about a very distinct minority

- As to that minority, if fans at these football games are complaining to the principals and superintendents about it, and the band directors decide to ignore those complaints, then I can see why people would have a problem with that. If you take a job at one of these high schools, even if your competitive resume is strong, you still have a responsibility to put time and effort into the football side of the equation, complete with energetic rah-rah music for the stands during the game, touchdown or victory music, perhaps playing the school's alma mater before and after the game, and of course the national anthem. But if fans aren't complaining, and they are generally OK with what these bands are doing, and the principals are OK with what these bands are doing, and the superintendents are OK with what these bands are doing, then frankly who are we to complain when we're nowhere near being involved?

- In regards to the nitpicky often-times pedantic "letter of the law" stuff (which some people like to focus on by demanding that others cite their sources and quote chapter and verse), I'm going to go out on a limb here and say that I can't imagine there is anything stated in any high school football federation or league rulebook that bands are even required to perform at halftime in the first place. I'd be perfectly happy to admit if I'm wrong on that. But I further can't imagine that these rulebooks would then go on to dictate what types of shows the bands are required to perform, not to mention dictating what the band's purpose for even being there is supposed to be. That kind of thing (issues of roles and expectations) is established by each individual school, and I say again, if the fans and principals and superintendents are OK with it, then really...who the eff cares?!?!

Well said, well thought.

The only thing you failed to mention are those bands who believe "BOA" stands for "Breaking Our Activity"  (expensive props, outlandish costumes, depressed designers, etc.)

40 minutes ago, xandandl said:

Well said, well thought.

The only thing you failed to mention are those bands who believe "BOA" stands for "Breaking Our Activity"  (expensive props, outlandish costumes, depressed designers, etc.)

"Depressed designers" made me LOL

2 hours ago, xandandl said:

Well said, well thought.

I don't know of any band (BOA or otherwise) who believes that ALL bands should do as they do when it comes to their approach to competition in the circuit of their choosing, or in designing their shows/uniforms, or budgeting for their programs, etc. I can't think of a single band director who has the time or energy to worry about any other program other than their own when it comes to that stuff. When it comes to competition, however, no matter which circuit, there will always be individual bands who spend more, push the boundaries more, etc. and I say more power to them if they have the means and resources with which to do so. Besides, it's their activity, too!

• Like 1

I just want say, as a member of a high school marching band currently, that football games are definitely not just about the football team where I live (Texas). Honestly, Fall is more about marching season than football season, though my school has been getting better the past couple years, so my school is getting more pumped about football lately. 

Every Friday night, we go to the games. No matter if they're home or away games. We always play stand tunes and pep music in the stands and then about halfway through second quarter we leave the stands to get ready for halftime. Performing on the field during halftime with all those people, even when we're at away games, is such an amazing feeling. It prepares us for what it's like to perform in front of large crowds, which we wouldn't get to experience before our first contest if we only did our competition show during rehearsals. Plus, it's such an awesome feeling when you just performed your heart out and you look up in the stands at an away game and half the stadium is standing and cheering for you. It's even cooler at home games because almost everyone stands and cheers, and it's so cool because they're all doing that for us. If all we did for halftime was pep stuff, they wouldn't be cheering for us but for the football team. What would even be the point? We already do all that pep stuff when we're in the stands anyway.

This was mainly just me rambling and I can't believe I finally made my account to post in this stupid topic, but whatever.

Edited by StrikerEZ
  • Like 5

3 minutes ago, StrikerEZ said:

I just want say, as a member of a high school marching band currently, that football games are definitely not just about the football team where I live (Texas). Honestly, fall I should more about marching season than football season, though my school has been getting better the past couple years, so my school is getting more pumped about football lately. 

Every Friday night, we go to the games. No matter if they're home or away games. We always play stand tunes and pep music in the stands and then about halfway through second quarter we leave the stands to get ready for halftime. Performing on the field during halftime with all those people, even when we're at away games, is such an amazing feeling. It prepares us for what it's like to perform in front of large crowds, which we wouldn't get to experience before our first contest if we only did our competition show during rehearsals. Plus, it's such an awesome feeling when you just performed your heart out and you look up in the stands at an away game and half the stadium is standing and cheering for you. It's even cooler at home games because almost everyone stands and cheers, and it's so cool because they're all doing that for us. If all we did for halftime was pep stuff, they wouldn't be cheering for us but for the football team. What would even be the point? We already do all that pep stuff when we're in the stands anyway.

This was mainly just me rambling and I can't believe I finally made my account to post in this stupid topic, but whatever.

Thank you. Your viewpoint is as valid as anyone else who posts here because it comes from your experience.

On ‎9‎/‎22‎/‎2017 at 10:41 PM, Stu said:

Why does the halftime show have to be done to perfection? Run through about 10 or so pop charts with standard eight measure phrasing one afternoon at band camp with flip folders, teach battery say four cadence grooves that easily fit those charts. Take one morning of camp to teach a very simple drill that encompasses the eight measure phrasing for two charts, do a third chart as a stand still for dance team number, march off to fight song. Different music each home game with flip folders but same simple drill. Crowd goes nuts each week singing and dancing along to stuff which is different each week! Spend the rest of the time perfecting the contest show and earning those trophies, and perform that award winning show at the last home game as a special showcase. Admin is happy, athletic department is happy, football crowd is happy, alumni (who donate money) are happy, award winning band kids are happy, ...

That is what we do in the stands. Where it belongs, IMO. Most bands I have ever experienced do much the same in my area.  In the stands we play tunes for the cheerleaders who have choreographed dance routines to our tunes. We do special drum cadences, etc. Halftime we do our one field show. Nothing wring with that, IMO. The band is still learning the show, so its not like we have time to spend learning two of them. 

Edited by MikeD
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, StrikerEZ said:

2 hours ago, StrikerEZ said:

What you call rambling I call thoughtful and insightful and so well written. Your English teachers past and present must love reading your work!

• Like 1