When did halftime get hijacked?

17 minutes ago, Kamarag said:

I hope no one ever shows Stu any videos of a band like West Chester University...he'll have an aneurysm.

"WCU's Imcomparables":

INDEED!!!!!!   THE "Drum Corps Style" college band, or at least the most like one I've ever seen.  I understand their director wrote/arranged Hawthorne Caballeros shows the last couple of years,    :guinesssmilie:

Elphaba    :flower:

1 hour ago, xandandl said:

Doctor, 

You've been spending too much time in the Office. 

the rest of us had to look that up. :-p

You’ve never watched The Office?! Come on, that’s a classic 

2 hours ago, GUARDLING said:

And, although school spirit is important bands are not just there for the football team I believe if they are physically there to support for whatever length of time during the game that should be sufficient but to think that the band is merely an extension of the cheerleader Squad makes one believe like in the past that they are only in existence for the reasons that some have stated. In my opinion it's thinking like this that has caused band programs to have to deal with this for many decades and has made it difficult to gain respect among school programs, this goes for the members as well as the program. In my experience it's been the opposite, the football players and programs have welcomed the band because until the band programs come into the field with the support, there's virtually few people in the stands, so my programs have been lucky enough to experience not only the respect but the support of the athletic programs. Now I know this is not the norm ,I only wish it were.

A band playing at a football game is no more the focus of attention than a band playing at a wedding reception.

1 hour ago, Cappybara said:

Absolutely. I don’t think Stu understands the difference between college and high school football. 

You can make the commercialization argument for college bands, but it’s absolutely ridiculous to do so for high school bands 

10 hours ago, 84BDsop said:

You forget that Stu is the be all, end all on this subject, and the opinions or real-world experiences of others holds no weight.

Band Directors who just engage in halftime and contest shows during the fall are far from engaging in real-world experiences of real-life commercial music.

2 minutes ago, GUARDLING said:

Not true. Or I can comfortably say it is not true of many bands who choose to be something more.

Of course.... the band playing the wedding gig can also delude themselves into believing that they are the focus of that situation too if they choose to do so.

9 minutes ago, Stu said:

Of course.... the band playing the wedding gig can also delude themselves into believing that they are the focus of that situation too if they choose to do so.

Would support of the football team supporting the band constitutes support. Would football parents as well as band parents working concessions constitutes support?. With the mayor of the town come make a speech during halftime about the successes of the band program constitute support? Would fundraising drives Citywide in the tune of several hundred thousand dollars constitutes support? I can go on and on but I think I've made my point. Is it the norm no, does it exist absolutely.... I think the problem with some comments you make at times is that you look at the situations as if they are absolutes and they're not. Is what you're saying true ,of course it is. Is what others are saying true of course it is.

Edited by GUARDLING