When did halftime get hijacked?

6 hours ago, BigW said:

Proud WCU grad and former student staff member. Many prominent people in the activity come from there.

Problem is, I'm always busy when they do the Alumni Band. Maybe some year I'll do it. At least I have some instruments now I can take on the field because I won;t march with my Euphonium.

This is her first year doing this. Same situation as with you, always doing something else that weekend in years past!!!

Edited by Fran Haring

6 minutes ago, Kamarag said:

Yea, that's just an ignorant statement, especially used so cavalierly as a blanket.

I don't know about you, but when I go to a wedding, I'm more focused on the wedding celebration and the couple getting married than I am the band actually.  Unless the band is really bad. 

1 hour ago, LabMaster said:

I don't know about you, but when I go to a wedding, I'm more focused on the wedding celebration and the couple getting married than I am the band actually.  Unless the band is really bad. 

And when most, overwhelming most, go to a football game they are more focused on the game and the football players than they are the band. That is why the analogy fits.

3 hours ago, GUARDLING said:

Just a general statement, does any of this matter?

Is this what you believe? What it is? Or what it should be?

Does any of this matter? To some yep, to others nope.  And what I do believe is that the hijacking of halftime actually occurred with the notion that it is for the artsy showcase of the musicology minded to present edifying contest high-brow fru-fru instead of focusing on shear entertainment for the crowd with what 'they' enjoy.  Yes, that is what I believe.

1 hour ago, Stu said:

Does any of this matter? To some yep, to others nope.  And what I do believe is that the hijacking of halftime actually occurred with the notion that it is for the artsy showcase of the musicology minded to present edifying contest high-brow fru-fru instead of focusing on shear entertainment for the crowd with what 'they' enjoy.  Yes, that is what I believe.

Well there ya go.there is no debate,exchange of thoughts or ideas, discussion about experiences on one side of this or the other, or even about facts when ideology or opinion,name calling of style which differs from another become part of discussion.Personally I believe its time to bow out of the conversation because it really is not a conversation at all...jmo

We had a GREAT band at my Son's wedding.  Since he and his wife were both musicians as were most of their friends, having a good band (with horns for Motown) for the reception was just was important as having excellent musicians for the wedding.  Both the wedding and the reception were big successes. 

6 hours ago, Cappybara said:

There is nothing commercial about high school football... jeez 

You haven't been to a h.s. football game in awhile have you or paid for the massive scoreboards with their current computer gizmos all courtesy of Coke and Pepsi among others.

Or have you been to a h.s. football game in Texas with stadium that could fit all the Puerto Rican refugees in one place? Commercial signs all over the place. Super dooper locker rooms and coaches rooms and weightlifting rooms next to the press lounge for the after game press conferences, the mega skyboxes and loge seating for the big donors (yes even in high school sports) and school superintendents.  Commercial underpinnings from printouts, programs, sneakers, and ponpoms are all over the place. Robinson, Woodson, and Braddock are but a sheltered existence compared to h.s football in the Carolinas, Georgia, Florida, Oklahoma, Texas, and parts of California.

no retort?  he must be watching Young Sheldon.

Edited by xandandl