Devs Battery Arranger

Forgive me if this has been discussed and if it has been, please kindly direct me elsewhere. I got into a discussion with a friend and we couldn't agree on who writes BD's battery music. I always thought that Scott Johnson was the caption head and writes the snare and bass music while Dave Glyde writes the tenor music. Any Devs whether current or alumni that can clear this up? Thanks! 

Pretty sure Scott writes the entire battery.

12 minutes ago, Schnitzel said:

Pretty sure Scott writes the entire battery.

No.  Scott and Dave split responsibilities pretty equally and then ScoJo and the MM's will tweek it if need be.  Im not 100% sure, but this is what Ive told.

David Glyde is the music director/composer. He writes the entire book, percussion and brass. 

Then each section revises it. 

Scojo/Ben/JimW(but he’s no longer there) 

Wayne/John for brass 

BD is unique in that Glyde/Johnson do write the general overall book and structure, but the players are encouraged to, as ScoJo puts it, 'cheese it up'. Thus the structure of the musical design is Glyde/Johnson, but the cool internal licks are typically adjustments made by the players.

why not ask them?

I think Dave writes the brass and percussion book and the arrangers of battery pit and brass tweak it to work. All in all I do believe that it is an overall group effort in that Chandler comes up with a show idea then Dave writes a blueprint of music and Murphy comes up with a visual blueprint and each arranger tweaks it a bit and then they ask members some of their input. John Meehan does post on here from time to time and he is very forthcoming with answers.  I have been an alumni/fan/parent all my life and I really don't even know the true answer to this. All I can say is if you ever get the chance to go watch practice do it.

I think the best analogy for BD is that it is a big family and everyone contributes something.  What I am seeing with the C corps now blows my mind.  Those kids are amazing and it is my hope that the whole feeder program grows even more than it has in the past and I get to watch it.

It is not just BD that is the focus now but rather the activity as a whole. I think the better everyone becomes throughout the world is a win win for humanity. I just like watching it evolve.

7 hours ago, flammaster said:

why not ask them?

I think Dave writes the brass and percussion book and the arrangers of battery pit and brass tweak it to work. All in all I do believe that it is an overall group effort in that Chandler comes up with a show idea then Dave writes a blueprint of music and Murphy comes up with a visual blueprint and each arranger tweaks it a bit and then they ask members some of their input. John Meehan does post on here from time to time and he is very forthcoming with answers.  I have been an alumni/fan/parent all my life and I really don't even know the true answer to this. All I can say is if you ever get the chance to go watch practice do it.

I think the best analogy for BD is that it is a big family and everyone contributes something.  What I am seeing with the C corps now blows my mind.  Those kids are amazing and it is my hope that the whole feeder program grows even more than it has in the past and I get to watch it.

It is not just BD that is the focus now but rather the activity as a whole. I think the better everyone becomes throughout the world is a win win for humanity. I just like watching it evolve.

Well said. 

I've been a BD fan since the 1970s... had a chance for the first time to watch them rehearse, in 2016, and I was blown away. So disciplined, so focused, yet so relaxed.

I have never seen a corps utilize its time better. And the show design is definitely a collaborative effort. It's a testament to that organization that so many of the key staffers have been with BD for so long.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Fran Haring said:

So disciplined, so focused, yet so relaxed.  I have never seen a corps utilize its time better.  

For various reasons and not counting finals, they are able to compete in about 25 shows most years.  There's more rehearsal time, fewer overnight trips, and more rest time. 

On 9/23/2017 at 6:56 AM, Ghost said:

For various reasons and not counting finals, they are able to compete in about 25 shows most years.  There's more rehearsal time, fewer overnight trips, and more rest time. 

And also the travel time. Which is west coast to east coast.