Thoughts on Guardians 2017 season?

Just wanted to know what the Drum Corps community thought of the Guardians 2017 program, "My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy". I had a blast this past summer and would like to see things from a different perspective and maybe be able to answer some questions while I'm at it.

Thoughts on the Guardians 2017…

I was really looking forward to seeing the Guardians. I thought they were great last year, and I was not disappointed this year. This was a really entertaining show. I got to see it 3 times, probably when you were at your best (O.C. Prelims, O.C. Finals, W.C. Prelims). The show was very original and unusual. I had a basic understanding of the show concept before I saw it from reading on the internet.  Everything was put together very well. From an enjoyment perspective, I liked the Guardians show as much as any other. This is kind of funny, because I don’t think I could’ve named a Kanye West song before this show. You should be very proud, this is a Corps that is going places. I hope you are all recovering rapidly after the hurricane.

From your profile it looks like you played mellophone?  Do you still use the green traditional uniforms for parades and such? I liked them, but I know many seem to be moving to costumes for the shows now, which is fine with me as well because it helps make the shows unique.

56 minutes ago, kkrepps said:

Thoughts on the Guardians 2017…

I was really looking forward to seeing the Guardians. I thought they were great last year, and I was not disappointed this year. This was a really entertaining show. I got to see it 3 times, probably when you were at your best (O.C. Prelims, O.C. Finals, W.C. Prelims). The show was very original and unusual. I had a basic understanding of the show concept before I saw it from reading on the internet.  Everything was put together very well. From an enjoyment perspective, I liked the Guardians show as much as any other. This is kind of funny, because I don’t think I could’ve named a Kanye West song before this show. You should be very proud, this is a Corps that is going places. I hope you are all recovering rapidly after the hurricane.

From your profile it looks like you played mellophone?  Do you still use the green traditional uniforms for parades and such? I liked them, but I know many seem to be moving to costumes for the shows now, which is fine with me as well because it helps make the shows unique.

Yes they still own the green uniforms and shakos but they are not in use and I doubt they will. Members got to keep their uniform so we'll have to wait and see how they look next year. I got to see your show too at multiple venues and just wanted to say congrats on a great summer! Any ideas on where you're going next year?

I'm hideously biased (my daughter marched euph until her knee went sideways, then conducted), but I thought it was a *really* catchy show.  I just this week went back and watched OC finals again (don't ask how), and what stood out was, especially considering how many fewer rehearsal days y'all had compared to your peers, just how risky the show really was.  Especially visually - there was a *ton* of field coverage and in general a lot more movement.  Very much a 'run 'n gun' style show where not too many others around you were doing it.  Musically, adding so many layers of electronics was a bit of culture shock to those who don't know Kanye well.  Everyone seemed to either love it or hate it.

Overall, they asked a lot of you guys (and gals), and I think that difficulty both kept the show from growing more *and* made it do as well as it did.

I hope you're able to go back this year!  I'm extra-excited to see what DMJr and the mad scientists will come up with this time.  (And yes, I saw the boxes of old green uniforms being put into storage.  I too do not think they'll ever see the light of day again.)

Mike

1 hour ago, MikeN said:

I'm hideously biased (my daughter marched euph until her knee went sideways, then conducted), but I thought it was a *really* catchy show.  I just this week went back and watched OC finals again (don't ask how), and what stood out was, especially considering how many fewer rehearsal days y'all had compared to your peers, just how risky the show really was.  Especially visually - there was a *ton* of field coverage and in general a lot more movement.  Very much a 'run 'n gun' style show where not too many others around you were doing it.  Musically, adding so many layers of electronics was a bit of culture shock to those who don't know Kanye well.  Everyone seemed to either love it or hate it.

Overall, they asked a lot of you guys (and gals), and I think that difficulty both kept the show from growing more *and* made it do as well as it did.

I hope you're able to go back this year!  I'm extra-excited to see what DMJr and the mad scientists will come up with this time.  (And yes, I saw the boxes of old green uniforms being put into storage.  I too do not think they'll ever see the light of day again.)

Mike

Yeah I really enjoyed performing the show and it was physically draining at some points but I wouldn't have the difficulty toned down in any way. Tell your daughter she did a great job this summer also.

I really enjoyed the show! I thought it was super original and my friends and I had a great time watching the Yeezy band together. It made my night hearing the closer

22 hours ago, DawsonBurnes said:

I really enjoyed the show! I thought it was super original and my friends and I had a great time watching the Yeezy band together. It made my night hearing the closer

Thanks man! It really means a lot to hear positive feedback like this. Yeah it definently something else being a part of the "Yeezy Band" lol. We really enjoyed yall's show too. Don't know where I'm going next year but I hope to see ya on tour!

• Like 1