Music City approved for World Class

Just saw this in my email and I knew there would be a thread already started.  I am so happy about this!!!  Congrats to Music City!  This is GOOD for the activity!

• Like 1

I enjoy Music City and after last summer's show believe they ar ready for World Class. I enjoy Music City's originality and ability to move in completely different directions each year, such as a country Western/Broadway show in 2012 to a Latin flair in 2013, a regal show where a king is crowned in 2016 and a tribal, anything but regal show in 2017. There has also been steady improvement each year. Good luck Music City.

• Like 1

I always chuckle at the 2012 O.C. Finals video, because I can see my car parked in the background.

More importantly: congratulations to Music City!

• Like 1

Music City just posted this on their Facebook page:

Music City is pleased to welcome Kent Baker as the organization’s new executive director. For the past 22 years, Baker has performed French horn with the USAF Band in Washington, DC. He has an extensive background in music education that includes serving as a high school band director, as a staff member with the Cavaliers and Cadets drum corps, and as a judge and clinician for DCI, Winter Guard International and for numerous marching band competitions.

As a composer, Baker has won numerous awards and had his works featured on NBC’s The Today Show, Fox & Friends, The Macy’s Thanksgiving Day Parade and Kennedy Center Honors. “I am excited to be part of such a dynamic and creative team,” Baker said. “The students and staff at Music City have a reputation for being not just a drum corps, but a family, one of which I’m proud to join.”

Feel free to contact Kent at director@musiccitydrumcorps.org to welcome and congratulate him. Here's to great things to come!

Music City to World Class opens a new geographic area to drum corps. Am sure some talented people from the region will gravitate to Music City now that they are in with the big guys.

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, bluehull said:

Music City to World Class opens a new geographic area to drum corps. Am sure some talented people from the region will gravitate to Music City now that they are in with the big guys.

And not just Tennessee, but also neighboring Kentucky, where there are a lot of great small bands with talented members that deserve a corps not far from home (especially since previous nearby corps like Star of Indiana and Capital Sound are long gone).

• Like 1

As I have said many times, there are now quite a few World Class alums running bands in the Nashville area. There is plenty of home grown talent to give Music City a great base to grow from. And it’s a great city to send your kid off to if you are in Indy, Atlanta, Memphis or Mississippi

• Like 1

2 hours ago, MikeRapp said:

As I have said many times, there are now quite a few World Class alums running bands in the Nashville area. There is plenty of home grown talent to give Music City a great base to grow from. And it’s a great city to send your kid off to if you are in Indy, Atlanta, Memphis or Mississippi

Or Columbus...

It will be interesting how Music City and Spirit of Atlanta will be competing for talent in the south now.