Should Open Class just be World Class?

When Genesis was in OC I went to a lot of OC shows.  Some were really well attended (Avon Lake comes to mind) and it was a real turn on for the kids.  Genesis even got to do the encore at a few OC shows which was also slot of fun.  Being first in a WC show playing to empty stands is a little anti-climatic for sure.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, phantombob said:

Get rid of Open Class---many of their competitions are sparsely attended---incorporate them into DCI's regular schedule of shows.  And encourage them to put out more crowd-entertaining shows, instead of trying to impress the judges with esoteric design. 

This would also give local shows a bigger line-up of corps--too many shows are now being scheduled with just 4 or 5 corps. 

Wait, most "local" shows, as you call them, are restricted to weeknights.  People work.  Shows can't start the actual corps competition until around 7pm.  (We offer food trucks and local entertainment as "pre-show").

I agree with your idea, but I think the answer is actually more shows with a wider dispersion of WC and OC performers.  This makes especially good sense if the overall level of OC show quality continues to improve as it has in very recent years.

I admit to being a drum corps snob and, mostly, ignoring the OC for years (decades?) but now some of their performances are spectacular, their size and sound presence has increased, and they're paying for show production that puts them darn-close to their WC brethren.

We used to struggle including OC corps in our WC show but, after what I've seen of OC corps in the last few years, I'm thinking we should rethink our current strategy to "pay up" for top-12 corps and, instead, support the OC by letting them perform, save DCI costs, and get some pretty great entertainment in return.

I'm actually more inclined to restrict OC admission to a minimum number of performers (the "One Bus" rule or even a "two bus" minimum" rule) and let them play with the WC boys instead of schlepping them off to their own circuit where they get little love, attention, or gate.

Edited by garfield
  • Like 1

I'd just like to add the thought that we've kind of returned to Div I, II and III anyway... 

SoundSport + Drumline Battle = Div III  (educational/building mentality)

Also, while I hate competitive inertia (BDB and SCVC on top all the time in Open; Buccaneers in DCA, etc.), changing an entire classification system just to alleviate a few corps' stranglehold on silver and gold seems a bit much.  Someone else just needs to become better than them.... easier said than done, I know...  *shrug*

• Like 1

8 hours ago, BigW said:

From looking at the open class sheets when they were put up by DCI a couple of years ago, they certainly looked to me like they didn't encourage esoteric design, which the World Class sheets clearly did. They encouraged thoughtful and solid design that was within the ability of a less experienced team to perform, or a team with less time to get it done.

I believe Open and World Class use exactly the same sheets now.

On 10/4/2017 at 11:25 AM, Lance said:

each corps has its own eccentricities when it comes to management, touring schedule, fundraising, goals, etc

i'm not sure they'd all want to get rid of open class

more to it than who wins

#### you using logic and facts

On 10/4/2017 at 12:41 PM, Stu said:

There are two ways I have looked at this: 1) BDB and SCVC should be placed in WC due to their financial stability and competitive prowess; ie they are way too good to be in OC; or 2) if an OC corps can hang competitively with BDB and SCVC while being financially stable, that is a litmus test in which the corps is ready for WC. At this juncture I lean toward number two.

but is the organization that stable with two full time touring world class corps? Remember there are other organizations under the umbrella

On 10/4/2017 at 4:49 PM, Stu said:

Interestingly... the WC voting body only gave the Div II III corps the options to either combine into one OC or lose DCI show support. Of course they chose one OC. Same thing applies to the now lack of OC show payouts; the WC voting body gave the OC the options of voting to eliminate their own payouts or risk losing DCI services.

there arent enough corps to support 2 divisions at this time.

7 hours ago, garfield said:

Wait, most "local" shows, as you call them, are restricted to weeknights.  People work.  Shows can't start the actual corps competition until around 7pm.  (We offer food trucks and local entertainment as "pre-show").

I agree with your idea, but I think the answer is actually more shows with a wider dispersion of WC and OC performers.  This makes especially good sense if the overall level of OC show quality continues to improve as it has in very recent years.

I admit to being a drum corps snob and, mostly, ignoring the OC for years (decades?) but now some of their performances are spectacular, their size and sound presence has increased, and they're paying for show production that puts them darn-close to their WC brethren.

We used to struggle including OC corps in our WC show but, after what I've seen of OC corps in the last few years, I'm thinking we should rethink our current strategy to "pay up" for top-12 corps and, instead, support the OC by letting them perform, save DCI costs, and get some pretty great entertainment in return.

I'm actually more inclined to restrict OC admission to a minimum number of performers (the "One Bus" rule or even a "two bus" minimum" rule) and let them play with the WC boys instead of schlepping them off to their own circuit where they get little love, attention, or gate.

2002 Open class....err D2/3 or whatever it was finals in Madison was one of the best top to bottom dollar for dollar drum corps shows i have ever attended.

Open class is more for education and getting seasoned.  To a smaller degree it is also for those members that just will not ever be ready for WC.BDB now has a WGI guard and i hope they gain a winter drumline as well.

I love open class.