Should Open Class just be World Class?

5 hours ago, MikeN said:

The idea that they were forced to adjust the "mission and focus" of the group seems wrong.

That said, I'm guessing WGI doesn't exactly have the same touring requirements that DCI does, so I'm also guessing the financial impact of forcing a winter guard or drumline up a class doesn't carry quite the bottom-line impact that DCI would.

Mike

There is no tour in WGI. They got too good too fast, WGI was thinner in world than they wanted to be and boom.

theyve adjusted nicely 

1 hour ago, garfield said:

The math starts with this reality: 150 marching members paying $3,000 in member fees equals $450,000.  In today's world of million-dollar drum corp budgets, "...staying within their means..." might mean that much plus some modest fundraising efforts and corporate donations.  Likely around $50,000 or $100,000 more, totalling $550m or $600m.  Everything greater than that likely comes from some combination of "drives" (mechanical, programatic, etc) and non-correllated business income like bingo or NFL football drumlines.

The organic nature of the activity and the kids who pay for it is around $550m or $600m.  Why are we funding million-dollar shows?  For what purpose?

Open Class is a division that's based on proving mettle.  Some may choose to stay in that class but I don't think that's what was intended, and the step to WC gets bigger and bigger every year.

Even when n the open class tour, food fuel insurance and housing ain't cheap 

37 minutes ago, BRASSO said:

Then think again.

How does one define " success " in Drum Corps ?. It all depends, I suppose. if the definition of " success " is placements and scores at the top of the heap, then we know who the successful Corps are. If the definition of " sucesss " that is utilized is " introducing large numbers of youth over the years to good music, good brass, good percussion, and teaching them discipline, teamwork, perseverence, self confidence, courage, maturity, time management skills, and a whole host of skills that are honed from Drum Corps participation and competition, then the Spartans ( Open Class ) are a huge " success " story, as they have been enriching the lives of youth in this fashion for well over half a century now. As such, they have been highly "successful " in their chosen mission, and at a level they have freely chosen and fits in every way how they intend to operate their Drum Corps. They have successfully shaped the young formative lives of thousands of participants that have come thru their ranks since the end of WW 2. Far more in  numbers too of the marchers in Drum Corps that marched in Corps that lasted a few years, then folded. So the Spartans are a huge success story as an organization for example, with  my definition which might be a bit broader here than others which limit " success " to the scores and placements that a few judges put down on pieces of paper,. Don't get me wrong. I too judge organizational success in part by scores and placements as well. But the Spartans ( and a few other Open Class corps ) are likewise " successful " operations, as they stay within their budget, within their resources to be allocated and utilized, and have successfully molded in a positive way thousands upon thousands of youth over the last half a century. And marchers are still attracted to their offerings there just as much as they were at the end of ww2. Sounds like a highly " suceessful " track record and longevity for a youth organization by any measure to me.... well, at least with my broader definition for " success " that  I personally utilize anyway. And the Spartans have no interest in moving to World Class. And why should they ? Why mess with over a half a century track record of " success " that is working as intended by both them, and the original founders of DCI itself ? There isn't... and thus, no need too, imo.

Go find the pioneer thread on Reddit. If half of it's true, how is that world class

14 minutes ago, Jeff Ream said:

Go find the pioneer thread on Reddit. If half of it's true, how is that world class

Yes.. I saw that thread, and its a good question. I've said this for a few years now.. I'm really not sure why DCI allows Pioneer to remain in the World Class Division. I have nothing against Pioneer,. As a matter of fact, I like their tenacity, and in some years, their shows too. But I see no practical benefit to subject this Corps marchers most years to non competitiveness in a Division of competition that seems beyond this Corps  abilities to be competitive in. Most Corps have years  or two where they struggle competitively among their peer Corps. But Pioneer has years of non competitiveness in the World Class Division now. Pioneer's " peer Corps ", lets face it, are not World Class division Corps. Open Class Corps are. Thats the appropriate division for Pioneer to be in, imo. Nobody asked me, but thats where DCI should put Pioneer now... whether they like it or not. And it'd even be better for their marchers, imo if DCI did so.

Edited by BRASSO
  • Like 2

10 hours ago, garfield said:

Open Class is a division that's based on proving mettle.  Some may choose to stay in that class but I don't think that's what was intended, and the step to WC gets bigger and bigger every year.

Actually, open class is for a variety of situations.  Some corps simply choose to serve younger or less experienced members, and therefore do not aspire to move to world class.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, BRASSO said:

Yes.. I saw that thread, and its a good question. I've said this for a few years now.. I'm really not sure why DCI allows Pioneer to remain in the World Class Division. I have nothing against Pioneer,. As a matter of fact, I like their tenacity, and in some years, their shows too. But I see no practical benefit to subject this Corps marchers most years to non competitiveness in a Division of competition that seems beyond this Corps  abilities to be competitive in. Most Corps have years  or two where they struggle competitively among their peer Corps. But Pioneer has years of non competitiveness in the World Class Division now. Pioneer's " peer Corps ", lets face it, are not World Class division Corps. Open Class Corps are. Thats the appropriate division for Pioneer to be in, imo. Nobody asked me, but thats where DCI should put Pioneer now... whether they like it or not. And it'd even be better for their marchers, imo if DCI did so.

honestly, to me, the real issue is "ok you've proven financially you can be world class. Now we need to continue verifying it".

and that to me, since DCI places classification on financials is the flaw....what follow up is done except for a major case like when the Troopers had to take that year off? Plus if even half of what the now former USBands director said is true about the math in his resignation letter that made all the rounds....why isn't DCI auditing the Cadets? I'm sure there's others too

• Thanks 1