Should Open Class just be World Class?

In pipe band a while back, Simon Fraser University's B band got to be good enough to be moved up to the top division and challenge their A band.  The school protested to the governing body, explaining that they're a school - they're not sending out two A bands.  The governing body didn't care.  So the school dissolved the B band, created a new one in it's place in the second division, and made it clear they would do that every year if necessary.

("alllowing that unit to get competitive"... :blink:)

Mike

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Jeff Ream said:

well....this is WGI. Sometimes classifications are done to even out group sizes despite what is stated ( i say that because I know a local team moved to PSW that never should have been moved based on skills...and that same year a few A's moved to Open for the same reason, but didn't truly belong). If Pulse had refused to accept the promotion, and I'm sure they appealed, their option was to stay home. And kids paid a lot of money to join that group based on being able to go to Dayton. Refusing, and essentially shutting down, which is what they would have had to do would have killed the group and damaged the entire organization.

if you followed WGI more, you'd understand why reclassification doesn't always make sense.....until you see the number of registered entries at prelims even out across the classes

I do follow WGI; and even if there was an aspect of keeping classifications balanced in numbers we are talking about 2nd tier Open to top tier World. WGI would not move lower scoring Open units up but would choose the most competitive units to bump up to World. Pulse thus did it to themselves plain and simple.

Edited by Stu

2 hours ago, MikeN said:

Mike

LOL... I hear ya, Mike.  "OK... techs, don't worry about cleaning that segment up... and we're gonna cancel the next couple of rehearsals. Can't get too good, ya know!!!"  :8_laughing:

On 10/11/2017 at 3:33 PM, MikeN said:

In pipe band a while back, Simon Fraser University's B band got to be good enough to be moved up to the top division and challenge their A band.  The school protested to the governing body, explaining that they're a school - they're not sending out two A bands.  The governing body didn't care.  So the school dissolved the B band, created a new one in it's place in the second division, and made it clear they would do that every year if necessary.

Mike

it's happened scholastically in indoor as well

On 10/11/2017 at 5:13 PM, Stu said:

I do follow WGI; and even if there was an aspect of keeping classifications balanced in numbers we are talking about 2nd tier Open to top tier World. WGI would not move lower scoring Open units up but would choose the most competitive units to bump up to World. Pulse thus did it to themselves plain and simple.

ok. you feel free to have that argument with yourself.

clean and good doesnt make you the next class. Per the propaganda spewed forth, it's the skills you display that is supposed to get you moved. Not just cause you scored well in the lower class. As an administrator in a local circuit, i fight that fight annually.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Jeff Ream said:

clean and good doesnt make you the next class. Per the propaganda spewed forth, it's the skills you display that is supposed to get you moved. Not just cause you scored well in the lower class. As an administrator in a local circuit, i fight that fight annually.

Forgive me if I missed the answer to this.... but the groups that get moved up... does that happen during a season, or is it done for the next season?

On its face, it would seem to me that moving a group up during a season could be a potential disruption for any particular group, to say the least. 

Imagine DCI moving, say, SCV Cadets or Blue Devils B up to WC... or DCA moving, say, Cincinnati Tradition or Govenaires from Class A to Open a few weeks before the respective circuits' championships. 

4 hours ago, Jeff Ream said:

If you choose to play in their (WGI) sandbox, then whine about their decisions on where you should play and what toys you can use, ya know what that makes you? A whiner!

On 10/11/2017 at 2:33 PM, MikeN said:

Mike

And I agree with the governing body.

17 hours ago, Stu said:

If you choose to play in their (WGI) sandbox, then whine about their decisions on where you should play and what toys you can use, ya know what that makes you? A whiner!

:8_laughing:

Edited by Fran Haring
  • Haha 1