New Housing Opportunity or a Death Knell to Drum Corps

We just keep building them bigger here in Tejas. (Bonds here, bonds there, bonds everywhere...) It’ll be some time before the Friday night lights start dimming here. And on the band side of things, they just keep getting better and better. I’m blown away by my daughter’s band this year.(I’m in the parking lot waiting to pick her up now— the semi trailer equipment truck is pulling in just now...) 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, MikeD said:

We have two HS in our NJ district, West Windsor-Plainsboro North and South (the one I have been working with since 94). The North high school was forced to cancel varsity football this fall, due to a falloff in participation. There were not enough kids to field a team. 

But probably they are now offering a robotics team and competitive gaming squad?

16 hours ago, year1buick said:

We just keep building them bigger here in Tejas. (Bonds here, bonds there, bonds everywhere...) It’ll be some time before the Friday night lights start dimming here. And on the band side of things, they just keep getting better and better. I’m blown away by my daughter’s band this year.(I’m in the parking lot waiting to pick her up now— the semi trailer equipment truck is pulling in just now...) 

I've spent most of the day toggling between today's 4 regional BOA marching band competitions on FloMarching.  I live in Tennessee so it was enlightening to check out a bunch of Texas bands.  WOW!  Big and deep and very mature performances by the handful that I watched.  Only similar performance I saw at the other 4 competitions was Avon HS.  I lived in TX as a child and music in the schools was typically as important as sports, even in small towns.  What is your daughter's school and what does she play?

• Like 1

Just caught their show on the Flo.  They looked great.

• Like 1

Not sure if it'ss relevant to this thread but in northern Alberta former football fields are now soccer fields and you can't add lines. Indoor school gyms can be used for free if your group contacts the school board, however, indoor cheer leading competitions are far more prevalent than winter guard and a drum corps now has band instruments. The outdoor soccer fields were wonderful but the city banned herbicides years ago which caused a dandelion population. My opinion? Learn how to march on anything with space, a ball diamond, a soccer field, a plaza or DCI has to stay in expensive indoor venues...imo :smile:

9 hours ago, RetiredMusTeach said:

I've spent most of the day toggling between today's 4 regional BOA marching band competitions on FloMarching.  I live in Tennessee so it was enlightening to check out a bunch of Texas bands.  WOW!  Big and deep and very mature performances by the handful that I watched.  Only similar performance I saw at the other 4 competitions was Avon HS.

And Avon lost (by two-tenths) to Carmel at today's event in Dayton.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 10/6/2017 at 9:04 PM, Wog said:

Cavies stayed two days at Belpre Middle School in Belpre OH (my hometown).  For Belpre... the field they used was just that a field... (although  I believe in 1984 the Cadets used the sacred High School football field which peeved the football coach and he and the local band director got into it )

Huh. I saw Belpre's marching band perform just a week ago at Marietta.

• Like 1