New Housing Opportunity or a Death Knell to Drum Corps

11 hours ago, N.E. Brigand said:

Huh. I saw Belpre's marching band perform just a week ago at Marietta.

Belpre was über competitive in the local Ohio and WV circuit  back in the '80s/ early '90s and produced a few DCI players.  Went through a major downsizing/elimination in the mid 90s (due to lack of kids) and now rebuilding to what you see now.  I was there '87-91 and was very much patterned after Garfield the first two years (pointed toe roll step... high speed curvilinear drill). 

I never marched DCI, but the availability of small shows like the one at Warren High School or at Parkersburg (WV) High in the mid '80s was the catalyst for my interest in DCI.  Garfield, the Cavies, Dutch Boy all used our housing in Belpre.  Nothing like heading home for dinner and hearing Firebird ringing out through the neighborhood!!

• Like 1

On 10/7/2017 at 1:29 PM, RetiredMusTeach said:

I've spent most of the day toggling between today's 4 regional BOA marching band competitions on FloMarching.  I live in Tennessee so it was enlightening to check out a bunch of Texas bands.  WOW!  Big and deep and very mature performances by the handful that I watched.  Only similar performance I saw at the other 4 competitions was Avon HS.  I lived in TX as a child and music in the schools was typically as important as sports, even in small towns.  What is your daughter's school and what does she play?

I've been watching the BOA regionals on FloMarching as well.  Wow, those Texas bands are a step above the rest of the regions. There are some very mature designs from so many of the groups there.  Texas may have more quality bands than Indiana these days! 

One wonders how the decrease in high school football participation will influence marching music, especially in these marching band hotbeds.

Edited by jjeffeory
  • Like 1

17 hours ago, N.E. Brigand said:

Huh. I saw Belpre's marching band perform just a week ago at Marietta.

Ha! I have aunts and uncles who live in or near Belpre...  Marietta used to be a powerhouse group.

Edited by jjeffeory
  • Like 2

18 hours ago, jjeffeory said:

I've been watching the BOA regionals on FloMarching as well.  Wow, those Texas bands are a step above the rest of the regions. There are some very mature designs from so many of the groups there.  Texas may have more quality bands than Indiana these days! 

On wonders how the decrease in high school football participation will influence marching music, especially in these marching band hotbeds.

Yes, someone should start a thread to discuss this impact!  

:whistle:

• Haha 2

11 hours ago, garfield said:

Yes, someone should start a thread to discuss this impact!  

:whistle:

I already started the thread on marching band planet, you must have missed it!

( When I go off topic, I go really off topic!)

Corps and band have their roots in the military and classical music... not football.  No matter what happens to football, pageantry and the marching arts will thrive and continue growing in one way or another.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1