All time shows: Blue Knights

Favorites:

1993. Only their third year in Finals, but this was a very fun show with great music (music from Star Trek films and "Little Green Men").

1999. Classic BK. Enough said.

2012. An important stepping stone in BK history, it really pushed them into the truly modern programming we've expected from them recently.

2014/15. I can never decide which is better. Both are absolute works of art that get me very emotional.

Honorable mentions:

2011. Never thought classic band literature would sound so great on the field in a more modern year.

2017. I feel like I would have enjoyed this show even more without the narration that was added in later, but it did bring them back from an off year (see below).

Least favorites:

2001. I find this an embarrassing show, honestly. Nobody expects the dark, ethereal BK to go super light-hearted, especially after placing 6th the year before. It just isn't in their blood.

2006/07. These shows weren't bad at all, per se (I mean, they beat out Crown at Finals in the former year), I just find them kinda generic.

2016. After two straight magical years for BK, they went even more ethereal, and while it worked for some, I was among those who couldn't enjoy it from the first day forward.

• Like 1

1999- Great music, great drill, but probably would have enjoyed it more with white instead of gray. 2000 stepped it up a notch, but this had better music overall and not just randomness.

2015-My favorite show of that year, and not too preachy or "emo" yet really gets your heartstrings. 

2011-Classic repertoire; kind of miss this short detour from BK. All it needed was better drill.

2003-Really like the unique choice of the Bulgarian music. 

2006-Quintessential BK. It's like they knew they were dirty in 2002 so they decided to redo that show and put it to 2006 and 2007. This was dark, but had a savage performance feel to it.

Least fav:

2017-weird pacing of the show, park and play for the opener, strange lyrics, tag ending that seemed derivative of their previous trilogy endings. Didn't add anything to Hide and Seek arrangement that was already better from Spirit 10 years prior. 

2001-As others mentioned, but I do admit to liking the drum solo. 

2008-after Turbine, this was a miss for me.

I do have to admit 2003 was in my top 5 list until I realized I had 6 in there, so it didn't make the cut.  I loved loved loved Kaval Sviri as an opener, and as a historical footnote, I think their closer Prologue (originally from BK winter percussion) was only the second time a percussion ensemble piece got adapted for winds (SCV's Stained Glass in 2000 being the first, AFAIK).

Mike

• Like 2

18 hours ago, MikeN said:

I do have to admit 2003 was in my top 5 list until I realized I had 6 in there, so it didn't make the cut.  I loved loved loved Kaval Sviri as an opener, and as a historical footnote, I think their closer Prologue (originally from BK winter percussion) was only the second time a percussion ensemble piece got adapted for winds (SCV's Stained Glass in 2000 being the first, AFAIK).

Mike

I had a hard time getting it down to 5. There are shows  I love like 03,06,07,08, and 11 that didn't even get an HM from me.

21 hours ago, ouooga said:

This is literally the first complement I've ever seen about the last show I marched. I loved that show. Thank you so much.

Your welcome! The first live DCI show I ever saw. It was in Pittsburgh and I was with a friend that is Bluecoats alum...the Bluecoats weren't there.  Anyways I really should thank you for being a part of the show that made me a drum corps fan! I actually claimed BK as my singular favorite drum corps until 2012...and 2005 is the show that started it for me.  It's too bad I blew off an opportunity when I found out they were from Denver... maybe I would have tried to it otherwise.

20 hours ago, cowtown said:

2014, really dislike that show, the voice was such a turn off, treacle

Interesting to see how this is a love it or hate it show.  I am usually against narration but this is one of the few shows that it works for me...the voice over singing not so much but the rest of the show was so good it's not a deal breaker.

• Like 1

Tallying up this thread was a lot of work.  Considering this is only a 2 page thread there are 23 years mentioned in top 5s.  Everyone seems to enjoy something different from BK.

The winner for favorite by 1 vote is 2015... because. It is tied BKs highest placement  ever and I think this show is a lot easier to find video of than the 90s and 00s shows.

HMs for 1994, 1999, 2011, and 2014.

The least favorite show is 2001.

2014 actually got the most mentions on favorite lists but it also got a few least favorite mentions. 

Feel free to keep posting your thoughts!

Edited by ThePlanets

2014- "That One Second"

1994- "Trittico"

2010- "Europa!" (I loved the old school drum feature)