Full-field tarp?

4 hours ago, GUARDLING said:

Several years back I remember a new York field band doing the same

As did a well-known Florida band back in 2011.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Cadevilina Crown said:

As did a well-known Florida band back in 2011.

Was that particular tarp on springs?

• Haha 3

10 hours ago, N.E. Brigand said:

That was Center Grove.

Was that?  Used to compete against them in High School after they bumped up to ISSMA Class A when school enrollment grew.  They tried for years to catch Ben Davis (who was the unbeatable back then) with all sorts of props, tarps, mylar, etc. The year they finally caught them was the year they went stripped down straight up marching band. 

• Like 1

Never know, we might see one of these soon. Most of the time a corps rolls out a tarp I cringe. The only effective tarp I have seen was Blue Devils' use of the wave effect in 2016. There may be one or two more examples that I am forgetting about.  Mostly I find tarps lacking in anything, visual or GE. So I guess if you really want it to be effective you cover the whole field or a large portion of it. 

I've seen Crossmen use them over the years, Troopers last year, and I just find nothing appealing about them. 

To me, what Crown did with the banner that flew over the corps in the 2015 show, or their use of the see-through-silk that they used over the brass, is way more effective for visual and GE. 

• Like 1

I hope not.  Everyone doing the same thing = zero creativity.  I sure hope that credit isn't given for having a tarp either, but I should probably put down the pipe in that wishful thinking.

5 hours ago, jwillis35 said:

Never know, we might see one of these soon. Most of the time a corps rolls out a tarp I cringe. The only effective tarp I have seen was Blue Devils' use of the wave effect in 2016. There may be one or two more examples that I am forgetting about.  Mostly I find tarps lacking in anything, visual or GE. So I guess if you really want it to be effective you cover the whole field or a large portion of it. 

I've seen Crossmen use them over the years, Troopers last year, and I just find nothing appealing about them. 

To me, what Crown did with the banner that flew over the corps in the 2015 show, or their use of the see-through-silk that they used over the brass, is way more effective for visual and GE. 

and of course Crown did that after seeing Boston Crusaders use it well a few seasons previously. BAC's wonderful baritone soloist certainly helped the effect.

Edited by xandandl