Tresona's SPiN Network

Mostl fyi given that Tresona has been the subject of much discussion here the past few years--and I apologize if this has already been discussed--I noticed that my state's music education association has partnered with their streaming service, the SPiN Network. Very amusing to browse their description and read this:

"To date, the majority of student performances (band, orchestra, choir, chorus, jazz band, a cappella, etc.) are either not being filmed, are being professionally filmed and distributed without licenses, or are being filmed and shared by parents without licenses. Schools and state music education associations alike are frustrated by the prohibitive cost of obtaining synch licenses, and they are increasingly frightened by the fear of likely litigation in the absence of those licenses. Parents and performers are frustrated because they want to watch and share videos of their performances. Music rights holders are frustrated because none of the scenarios currently in place rightfully compensates the songwriters (which is required by U.S. Copyright Law)."

(Emphasis added.)

That would be litigation initiated by Tresona, no?

Am I wrong to be thinking "protection racket"?

That said, I would very much like the ability to see years and years of old marching band videos all curated in one place. I'm not saying that gangsters are all bad.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, N.E. Brigand said:

That said, I would very much like the ability to see years and years of old marching band videos all curated in one place.I'm not saying that gangsters are all bad.

Well... the block they live on is usually the safest one in the neighborhood. :tongue: 

• Like 1

This is really a re-brand and more formal push of their endgame. They were offering video and music distribution services on their old site http://www.tresonamultimedia.com.  They would love to not only be clearing licenses. Content is where the real dollars are at. So of course they will structure deals to be best hosted and served by Tresona rather than individual sanction services (ie, The Fan Network). 

The FAQ is an interesting read. 

https://thespinnetwork.com/faq

7 hours ago, N.E. Brigand said:

I'm not saying that gangsters are all bad.

1 hour ago, Fran Haring said:

Well... the block they live on is usually the safest one in the neighborhood. :tongue: 

And the banks they use, never get robbed.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Ghost said:

And the banks they use, never get robbed.

"I just want a little taste.  Wet my beak"

Or, as Monty Python put it:

"You've got a nice army base here colonel.  We wouldn't want anything to happen to it...."

• Like 2

3 hours ago, mingusmonk said:

This is really a re-brand and more formal push of their endgame. They were offering video and music distribution services on their old site http://www.tresonamultimedia.com.  They would love to not only be clearing licenses. Content is where the real dollars are at. So of course they will structure deals to be best hosted and served by Tresona rather than individual sanction services (i.e., The Fan Network).

The FAQ is an interesting read.

https://thespinnetwork.com/faq

It seems to me that this would be a monopoly that could only be broken by governmental action. (Which, since it's still fairly small potatoes, means never.)

Plus the $1000 fee the Band paid to have a 'channel.' 

What a racket.