are jazz charts disappearing from DCI ?

1 hour ago, waliman4444 said:

with the exception of BD and Bluecoats, it feels as though jazz is disappearing 

Jazz, although a uniquely American contribution nourished by many cultural and ethnic roots, is an acquired taste for those not enamored by how sweet the trumpeter hits a skyscraper note or whether the front ensemble is going orgasmic with manic mallet maneuvers of supposedly improv jazz tempos. Ask any drill writer of the challenges jazz presents: one reason some corps got the rep of stand-n-play, others park-n-bark.

That being said, the multi-tempoed, mixed meter contributions of other musical genres have replaced jazz  per se in DCI, if one can even find a pure jazz piece in contemporary literature. What works in a coffee house venue or a studio setting for smoke filled late night imbibers or the at home single cam video of the winter wearied music major doesn't always generate the effect audiences (and some judges) prefer for NFL stadiums. Retro stuff comes across as just that, retro in a competitive world of 3D nano-second visual programs and the like. Besides drum corps doesn't allow the woodwinds..yup no saxes or clarinets...jazz purists and licensing estates insist the composer wanted. Ask the logistics crew how many pianos they want to carry to and from the field. 

Rhythmic music and melody music are other matters more preferred than just the jazz style of composition and play. Jmo. you are certainly entitled to yours.

Edited by xandandl
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, xandandl said:

Jazz, although a uniquely American contribution nourished by many cultural and ethnic roots, is an acquired taste for those not enamored by how sweet the trumpeter hits a skyscraper note or whether the front ensemble is going orgasmic with manic mallet maneuvers of supposedly improv jazz tempos. Ask any drill writer of the challenges jazz presents: one reason some corps got the rep of stand-n-play, others park-n-bark.

That being said, the multi-tempoed, mixed meter contributions of other musical genres have replaced jazz  per se in DCI, if one can even find a pure jazz piece in contemporary literature. What works in a coffee house venue or a studio setting for smoke filled late night imbibers or the at home single cam video of the winter wearied music major doesn't always generate the effect audiences (and some judges) prefer for NFL stadiums. Retro stuff comes across as just that, retro in a competitive world of 3D nano-second visual programs and the like. Besides drum corps doesn't allow the woodwinds..yup no saxes or clarinets...jazz purists insist the composer wanted. Ask the logistics crew how many pianos they want to carry to and from the field. Rhythmic music and melody music are other matters more preferred than just the jazz style of composition and play.

jmo. you are certainly entitled to yours.

thanks  for your always insightful observations..point well made!

8 minutes ago, MikeN said:

I would suggest Jazz is already gone from DCI. Bluecoats and BD are mostly borrowing from other genres, but not Jazz.

Mike

Disagree. Not sure what else you would call "Heat of the Day" for Bluecoats in 2016. Or the Goodwin charts BD did 2014-2016.

Also, XMen at least have jazz influences.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, ftwdrummer said:

Disagree. Not sure what else you would call "Heat of the Day" for Bluecoats in 2016. Or the Goodwin charts BD did 2014-2016.

I can agree with that. I should amend my statement to say BC and BD borrow from a number of genres, but *rarely* Jazz. In 216, they did use Heat of the Day, but Udacrep Akubad, Great Gig in the Sky and Todo Tiende aren’t jazz at all.

Mike

1 minute ago, MikeN said:

I can agree with that. I should amend my statement to say BC and BD borrow from a number of genres, but *rarely* Jazz. In 216, they did use Heat of the Day, but Udacrep Akubad, Great Gig in the Sky and Todo Tiende aren’t jazz at all.

Mike

Oh, for sure. It's becoming less prevalent than it once was. But it's not gone.

10 hours ago, ftwdrummer said:

My favorite Crossmen shows were Pat Metheny oriented..Now is that jazz?I think you find in most jazz collections some Pat Metheny and Quincy Jones(BD)

On 10/28/2017 at 10:13 PM, MikeN said:

Mike

i think the diversity in DCI's programming is incredible lately, and even the chop and bop stuff is slowly dying out.....mashups are the rage. In previous eras, jazz or classical with some light pop ruled the day. 

• Like 1