are jazz charts disappearing from DCI ?

5 hours ago, MikeN said:

Jungle show.  They played Under the Sun (92 Crossmen Closer), Puma (92 Crossmen drum feature - yes, that one), about 30 seconds of Brazil, Medea (Crown's Western version), 20 seconds of Birdland and more Medea.  It felt like "one of these things is not like the others...")  :lle:

Mike

That is putting it mildly.  LOL

19 hours ago, MikeN said:

What was the most recent DCI finalist to do a true full mainstream-type jazz show?  Crossmen in 2001 / 2002?

Let's not forget Hot Jazz Madison Style in 2001.  

I find there to be a lot of jazz influence in Bluecoats and BD particularly 2017...and SOA up to 2013.

As much as I love progressive and thematic music nothing gets me as excited as a jazz show- and I would love to see more of it in DCI.  

One point to note is an argument that came up over the summer with the difficulty of the music of the top shows. The conclusion is really that jazz is a completely different style and a lot of the top players and music majors who are superior at playing technical music just don't get the feel for jazz...while some of the best jazz players might not be the best at classical type charts.  This could make recruitment difficult especially if you have an eclectic show design. 

What is the inclusion criteria to be considered a jazz chart anyway?

18 hours ago, MikeN said:

Jungle show.  They played Under the Sun (92 Crossmen Closer), Puma (92 Crossmen drum feature - yes, that one), about 30 seconds of Brazil, Medea (Crown's Western version), 20 seconds of Birdland and more Medea.  It felt like "one of these things is not like the others...")  :lle:

Mike

Wow.  I’m gonna have to catch this show on the Flo if only hear this mishmash. 

1 hour ago, mingusmonk said:

Obligatory Doug Thrower quote:

Drum Corps jazz is an oxymoron.

So the St. Louis Blues march would also be an oxymoron?  I think that "blues" is a subset of jazz.

7 hours ago, ThePlanets said:

One point to note is an argument that came up over the summer with the difficulty of the music of the top shows. The conclusion is really that jazz is a completely different style and a lot of the top players and music majors who are superior at playing technical music just don't get the feel for jazz...while some of the best jazz players might not be the best at classical type charts.  This could make recruitment difficult especially if you have an eclectic show design. 

Well, it's rare to have an Adam Rapa march with your corps, as well! He can do it ALL! ECJ '98 anyone?

• Like 1

Miles davis said " If you want to play jazz,  you have to know how to play the blues"Rare to find young folks who play the blues and arrangers who attempt, as someone said, to write arrangements that require a certain "feel" that the more classically trained students just don't have.imo

Edited by waliman4444
needed to finish thoughts on previous post

On 11/3/2017 at 6:41 AM, waliman4444 said:

Rare to find young folks who play the blues and arrangers who attempt, as someone said, to write arrangements that require a certain "feel" that the more classically trained students just don't have.imo

Not rare at all. VERY common to find high school and college aged players that are amazingly talented in this idiom. Too many examples to list-do a video search for yourself. I've had dozens of All-State jazz musicians in my program and can attest to their proficiency.

Everything Must Change is Jazz (BD 2017)

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, JAZZER said:

Not rare at all. VERY common to find high school and college aged players that are amazingly talented in this idiom. Too many examples to list-do a video search for yourself. I've had dozens of All-State jazz musicians in my program and can attest to their proficiency.

thank you for your observation..It's encouraging to read that jazz is being promoted at these levels..As I said in another post, regarding improvisation , the chops are there in DCI to play this music..perhaps visual priorities make it more difficult to explore (Non big band) jazz.