are jazz charts disappearing from DCI ?

This thread topic on " Jazz " music in DCI made me think of Sebastian and Mia in the movie " LA LA LAND".. Those that have seen the movie will probably recall this sequence on " Jazz "., and Sebastian 's( Ryan Gosling ) belief that Jazz is "dying ", and its a music genre he loves so much and hopes to do his part to save it, and reintroduce it to newer audiences :

Edited by BRASSO

On 10/28/2017 at 10:35 AM, waliman4444 said:

with the exception of BD and Bluecoats, it feels as though jazz is disappearing 

Swing in DCI has not had much of a presence as of late, but Jazz which encompasses a wide variety of genera is alive and well. I just have an issue with the cut, paste, inject, no time for melodic development, visually driven hiccup arranging in most modern DCI shows.

Edited by Stu
  • Like 1

On ‎11‎/‎1‎/‎2017 at 12:40 PM, MikeN said:

(At our band regional, Claudia Taylor Johnson, one of the big TX schools, in their show this year started playing Birdland.  You could actually hear the crowd getting excited.  Then they veered straight into Medea's Dance of Vengeance.  You could actually hear the crowd stop being excited.)

Mike

And they won Most Outstanding Music at today's BOA Super Regional with possibly the most talented field I've ever seen in a marching band competition...and they were indeed my favorite.  Personally loved them going from Birdland into Medea.

• Like 1