Sign the Petition

1 hour ago, skevinp said:

Brasso may have access to information others don't have, as he has said some things I haven't heard from anyone else.

Not unusual. I read the entire court records from start to finish.. If I'm going to comment on something said on here by posters I need to know the facts as found in these public records. For example, lots of misinformation surfaced this morning on this, ie that he was a " sexual felon ". Untrue... as disgusting as his offense is. Or that his crime was somehow insignificant and he " served his time and is thus entitled to a second chance". Well, not according to the Calif. Bureau of Teacher Certification for the State of Calif.  They do not currently believe in their professional judgement and oversight responsibilities to the public at large that he is legally" entitled to a second chance ".. insofar as working in the Calif. School systems is concerned, anyway. And several other things stated on here, that were either not accurate, or not entirely the full story on this guy, according to the full reading garnered from public records.... and later from his follow up comments to reporters where they quote him as essentially denying  the crime of which he was charged with., but subsequently found guilty by jurors with. He never appealed to a higher court his guilty verdict either ( in the public record.. he declined an appeal, thru his attorney ). He basically waited it out a few years, then had his attorney go back into court to expunge his guilty verdict, jail time, fines, etc criminal record for himself.... all perfectly legal, but gosh, it makes you want to take a private shower to get the grime off on how this all played out, and then ended with an expungement of the guilty verdict. No wonder lots of people don't want to serve on juries these days like they used too. Who can blame them.

Edited by BRASSO
  • Thanks 1

If DCI were to adopt a policy, it would have to be fairly broad, as different states have different laws when it comes to clearances and reporting. Frankly, all drum corps should require at a minimum the same clearances required of professional educators, subcontractors, and volunteers in the state in which the corps is based.

Mine does.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, BRASSO said:

Jeez.. go read the court testimony.  Your answer(s) to any of the questions you might have can be found there. But for those who are too lazy to look these things up yourself regarding the female victim's written sworn ( under oath ) testimony in court on this guy, the simple answer to this is..... " yes" .... with a camcorder.

As it has devolved into personal insults, I think that is my cue to exit this thread.  Good night to all.

• Like 1

Exactly! Interesting "mob" mentality. Reminds me of the Salem Witch trials. Coincidence? Judging by the alliances of several of the posters in this "thread" I think not.

Mr. Magoo could  spot the agenda here... 

Mike D wrote:

There was no 'plea'. The person was convicted of a misdemeanor. Not a sex offense, but rather attempting to video in an area where privacy is reasonably expected. So the punishment was fit to the verdict and the level of the charged offense.

Being a misdemeanor, it was eligible under California law to be expunged, and it was. 

The person now has NO record, and in fact passed multiple criminal checks before being hired.

I find this entire thread, the one on reddit, as well as the petition,  to be  a not-so-veiled attempt to attack Hopkins and YEA, using one of their staff as the weapon in the attack. Very sad.

7 hours ago, Stu said:

The 'expectation of privacy' in a practice room or class room, if that is where it occurred, is a key; it leads me to believe that it may have been an area designated for students to change in and out if uniform. On the other hand, if it was in a locker room area, expectation is automatic and obvious. That is why I am asking MikeD and Brasso to resolve their contradiction of location.

I read this in a published article:

"The 17-year-old was changing Oct. 7 in a storage room inside a band room that members routinely used as a dressing area, police said"

Not a shower or locker room. No idea why he was taping...if a storage room maybe there was stuff going missing he was trying to track down, and placed a camera where it did not belong. Was he attempting to video kids changing? No idea. It is irrelevant to the charged offense. The level of penalty he paid, and the fact that he has since been hired by Universities and drum corps makes me a lot more confident with him as an educator. Just MHO.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, BRASSO said:

Not unusual. I read the entire court records from start to finish.. If I'm going to comment on something said on here by posters I need to know the facts as found in these public records. For example, lots of misinformation surfaced this morning on this, ie that he was a " sexual felon ". Untrue... as disgusting as his offense is. Or that his crime was somehow insignificant and he " served his time and is thus entitled to a second chance". Well, not according to the Calif. Bureau of Teacher Certification for the State of Calif.  They do not currently believe in their professional judgement and oversight responsibilities to the public at large that he is legally" entitled to a second chance ".. insofar as working in the Calif. School systems is concerned, anyway. 

If by "currently" you mean 2006 I agree. 

8 hours ago, BRASSO said:

Well, to fill in the gaps here to what you said ( all true ), he plead " not guilty " initially, did not plea bargain. He made the States  prosecuting attorney have to go into court, impanel a jury for a jury  trial, and after hearing testimony, he was found guilty by the Jurors of secretly videotaping in a girls shower area without their consent, or knowledge.  

Everything I read on this topic says it was a storage room connected to the band room.  While this storage room was said to have been used as a changing room, that does not make it a "girls shower area".

6 hours ago, BRASSO said:

There was a victim. She was a female. She was underage. He videotaped her secretly via a camcorder in the school's shower area without her knowledge, nor permission. 

Where did you read "shower area"? I did not see that anyplace in what I read.

8 hours ago, BRASSO said:

.... I read the entire court records from start to finish...

.... He videotaped her secretly via a camcorder in the school's shower area ...

2 hours ago, MikeD said:

...I read this in a published article:

...The 17-year-old was changing Oct. 7 in a storage room inside a band room that members routinely used as a dressing area, police said...

Brasso claims the source as the Court Record. MikeD claims the source as a Published Article.  Which source is more accurate?.

Edited by Stu

1 minute ago, Stu said:

Brasso claims the source as the Court Record. MikeD claims the source as a Published Article.  I would fall on the side of accepting the Court Record as being the official source.

Did you find any reference to "girls shower area" in the court records?