Sign the Petition

27 minutes ago, Lance said:

I'm in public education, and am uncomfortable with not having background checks (FBI/State Patrol) done for all chaperones, even if it's for a weekend field trip. 

I don't have kids, but I'd have some tough decisions to make if my kid wanted to march a corps where that doesn't happen with all adults working with my kid. Different for 18+ year olds marching, of course. 

Just my thoughts. 

I appreciate your statement and position but, by only what's been posted here, he passed the background checks in PA which, apparently, are tough enough to warrant surprise.

2 hours ago, afd said:

So to you all men are child predators? I find your post offensive.

No don’t  be stupid that’s not what my wife said, but what you thought she said, however shockingly predictable considering. 

Point being made was DCP and drum corps is predominantly male (i.e. BOD, Director, CEO, staff and administrators) with very few women represented. It’s not uncommon for men to believe it’s okay for men to behave this way, and give this type of male behavior a pass. 

It’s not okay, it’s unacceptable and shouldn’t be tolerated unless you are of the like mind of those who do. 

Edited by Jim Schehr
  • Like 3

1 minute ago, garfield said:

I appreciate your statement and position but, by only what's been posted here, he passed the background checks in PA which, apparently, are tough enough to warrant surprise.

I made sure to include the fact that FBI and State Patrol checks are required in my state. 

Did the one in PA not include an FBI check?

Also, I'm not reading the whole thread, but there's a difference between evidence of criminal activity popping up on a background check, and a specific org's' policies for what is and is not "allowed" for working in their org. Maybe that's the real question that needs to be addressed. 

Our policies are pretty strict, but like I said, it's public ed that I work in. All schools in the state are required to use the same hiring policies for what pops on a background check. 

29 minutes ago, Jeff Ream said:

if you think this isn't a problem in the activity, you need help. It's been glaringly ignored for years. It seems I cant go a month seeing  DFTK post on facebook or an article in a news source about people in teaching positions of any kind getting busted for #### with kids....not all actual physical contact. 

I was once accused of it in my early 20's, and i had no contact with the person outside of rehearsal settings. it almost ruined me at an early age. Luckily, the kids parents realized their kid did it out of spite because they didnt get the instrument they wanted and backed me in my appeal to the school district. The rumor still persisted and followed me for 5-6 years despite being able to give certified and notarized documentation showing i was innocent of the accusation from the school. I wouldnt even attend shows at that school for years to keep my profile low.

See, this is how discussions devolve into finger-pointing personal attacks.  Please, Jeff, don't tarnish my opinion of your level headedness.  No where did I say that I have proof that it's not happening.

What I said is that the OPs method for addressing the issue is flawed because it makes oblique contentions that DCI, the corps, Dan Potter, and an at-large director (a single one) aren't doing enough (or anything, or the wrong things - the OP and the petition don't say) to address this very important issue.  Says who?  The petitioner?  Is there any evidence presented that DCI or the member corps DON'T have policies addressing the issue?  (That's a stupid contention - every single one of them does, I guarantee you!) 

But the petition demands that corps "submit" their policies (ostensibly for review by DCI, again no detailed expectations are presented), and that DCI, in some misunderstood assumption of how the organization works, should act as designer, implementer, police, arbiter, judge, and jury into each corps' practices on this subject.

What is the problem being addressed by the petition?  That there is an issue in drum corps of sexual assault, that DCI isn't doing enough to monitor the corps in its association for approved practices, or that an instance in PA is definitive proof that DCI isn't doing its job.

Again, I never said I don't believe it happens.  What I've said from the beginning is that the contention that DCI has some magic power vested in it to act is flawed, and that, as of now, the association has determined to address the issue in each corps individually.

I wonder if Stu's apt suggestion of a single-line "policy" statement would assuage the OP's (petitioner's) demands.

Edited by garfield

6 minutes ago, garfield said:

Background checks are specific. State only covers that particular State, and Federal only covers Federal not State. The last time I researched this, which was last year, there was no overall encompassing data base that checked all 50 States and Federal.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Lance said:

I made sure to include the fact that FBI and State Patrol checks are required in my state. 

Also, I'm not reading the whole thread, but there's a difference between evidence of criminal activity popping up on a background check, and a specific org's' policies for what is and is not "allowed" for working in their org. Maybe that's the real question that needs to be addressed. 

Our policies are pretty strict, but like I said, it's public ed that I work in. All schools in the state are required to use the same hiring policies for what pops on a background check. 

This is 100% of the issue, IMO.  The OP/petitioner doesn't like the fact that a corps hired a particular person and is appealing to DCI to demand something different be done.

Again, a clear example that the OP doesn't understand how this fraternal organization is put together, IMO.

16 minutes ago, Lance said:

Yes, PA also requires this, and in the case being thrown at The Cadets, I was told that  it was done per PA requirements, and the person passed.

On 11/1/2017 at 7:02 AM, Tim K said:

I am not suggesting that the petition should be signed, and but this does seem to be a concern of people involved in the activity. I think in light of lessons learned from the Boy Scouts, the Catholic Church and other religious organizations, the YMCA, the Boys and Girls Clubs, and countless other groups, DCI and its member corps should know the safety of youth has to be paramount. A shared policy of protection of minors and hiring practices stating you do not hire people who would not pass a CORI, have been found guilty of sexual misconduct, have lost teaching certifications due to sexual misconduct or are under investigation is common sense and should be current practices of all corps and having all DCI members agree to such a policy and sign it should not be a problem. 

Things have changed dramatically since the days that I marched. My guess is there are policies, security and background checks and training involved for all staff. This is an extremely serious issues that I have no doubt is addressed, especially in this day and age.

From DCI's website* (emphasis mine):

"What's the Relationship Between the Drum Corps and DCI?

Drum corps that participate in DCI-produced or -sanctioned events and drum corps that are members of Drum Corps International are independent entities. There are no legal or fiduciary ties between the corps and Drum Corps International other than those associated with membership or participation in an event.

Each drum corps is responsible for its own financial, managerial and operational well-being. That said, Drum Corps International has an interest in helping corps remain financially healthy and organizationally sound. Therefore, each year some resources are allocated to evaluate and support corps that may require assistance."

My argument against the petition is the amount of valuable time and effort required to address an issue that DCI shouldn't be addressing.  The notion that "what's the harm" applies is a naive assessment of the costs to address invalid claims while still attempting to not paint the organization as being supporting of the action.

*admittedly, this same site is still showing a video describing DCI that was produced in 2006.  You know, back when corps wore uniforms and marched on yard-lines instead of tarps.

Edited by garfield