Sign the Petition

35 minutes ago, Kamarag said:

Why do they even need to do that? All corps follow the laws of the state in which it is based. DCI releasing a statement would me utterly meaningless.

Ummmm... when a corps crosses State lines they have to follow the laws of the State they are 'in' not the state they are 'based from'.  And since the corps cross State lines, and the corps are DCI member corps participating in DCI sanctioned events, it would be prudent for DCI to make a general official statement requiring all corps to follow all laws applicable in the State they are traveling in.  Again that simple statement is a CYA for DCI to help blunt any cival litigation that might arise.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Stu said:

But.... While that may legally suffice, the last time I researched this, the PA check is only PA specific; it does not cover any State crimes commited in any of the other 49 States. And the FBI check only covers Federal beefs, it does not include State specific beefs. See the flaw here?

PA requires state and federal

• Like 1

2 hours ago, lifeisaround said:

I mean theres this 

http://articles.orlandosentinel.com/2010-04-02/news/os-moody-sexy-student-text-messages-20100401_1_text-messages-band-director-female-student

and this 

http://www.crossmen.org/joel-moody-bio

Im sure hes a great guy and does his job. People make mistakes and can move on from them !

to me...sorry. See ya

• Like 3

1 hour ago, garfield said:

Again, you're applying your version of the law and penalty.  Your version is not the law and you can't hold any other in contempt if they believe differently than you.

What you're really saying is that you're ticked off at Cadets for hiring this guy because you have a personal opinion about how this guy should be punished that is different than the law, and different than Cadets' viewpoint.

Again, I'm not taking a position contrary to yours regarding the incident.  But I am holding firm to exactly what the law says; doing anything else invites and inflames a crowd mentality against a person who, according to the law, has paid the penalty required.

I'm a father of a beautiful little girl who may want to march drum corps. When and if that time comes, I don't want her marching in a place that has hired someone who sent sext messages, set up a video camere, touched kids inappropriatley, etc. I don't care if it is a coprs I love or a corps i hate. I care about my daughters safety

• Like 8

25 minutes ago, Jeff Ream said:

PA requires state and federal

So they check PA records (which are PA crimes only), Federal records (which are Federal crimes only), but not the other 49 State criminal records. Thus they have no clue as to if State crimes have been committed in those 49 other States.That is my point.

Edited by Stu
  • Like 1

23 minutes ago, Stu said:

So they check PA records (which are PA crimes only), Federal records (which are Federal crimes only), but not the other 49 State criminal records. Thus they have no clue as to if State crimes have been committed in those 49 other States.That is my point.

sounds that way

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Stu said:

As far as I know it is that way in every State.

i didnt ask when i had mine updated as i'd never taught anywhere other than PA

14 minutes ago, Jeff Ream said:

i didnt ask when i had mine updated as i'd never taught anywhere other than PA

If you move to a different State and applied to teach somewhere I believe that the school district you would apply at in the new State would likely do a PA check. But if you stayed living in PA and applyed for a drum corps staff position in a different State I am not sure they would run a PA check.

Can someone summarize the argument against signing this petition? 

From what I gathered, it seems people don't want this issue brought up because it reflects poorly on DCI and particular corps. But the point of the petition is to avoid that in the future, isn't it? That is, the petition requests higher standards to ensure protection of the marching members.

Am I missing something here? What is the material objection to this petition?

Edited by danielwdunn
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 4