Sign the Petition

4 hours ago, garfield said:

And therein is the madness of the crowds!

How many times do I have to say it?

DCI has no ability vested in it to police the sexual harassment policies of the individual corps!

The "Governing Body" you reference is a staff that organizes the tour and verifies finance viability before a corps is allowed to tour.  Is has no governance ability beyond that giving it by the member corps, and those corps have, until now, chosen to address the issue of sexual harassment on an individual corps basis.

Why is this so hard to understand?

Your personal beliefs, like your impression of my beliefs (once you know them), are not a consideration in whether or not this person should be hired by Cadets, or whether any person with such a past should be hired by any organization, so long as that organization is following the laws applicable to it and its operation.

You're attempting to skewer a person for actions for which he has already paid his penance under the law.

I'm sorry, you don't have that right.

actually Gar...they do. Just like they can demand a corps go off the road for financial issues, or not taking care of the kids properly. Remember DCi played a role in the troopers taking a year off. they play a role in looking at a corps books to determine who can be world class ( and should do periodic checks to be sure it's still valid). They stepped in with Capital Regiment. With Teal Sound. I'm probably missing some others.

So if DCi can step in there...when the kids well being is affected due to financial issues, they #### well can step in if there's issues with staff with Rule#1 issues.

And to try and spin that they can't is pure horse manure. DCI has already shown they can and will step in for some things when the kids well being is at stake. Well....for this topic, kids well being is at stake.Time and time and time and time again.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

13 minutes ago, MikeD said:

I was responding to one of Brasso's comments about who corps hire. 

And who they hire is the concern. Child sex offenders are not just about Heterosexuality. 

Edited by Jim Schehr
  • Thanks 1

Ok, so I'm supposed to be magnanimous and say "Yes, they can".  But then I'll follow up with "What is the law?"

the law isn't always right. I can call you a m***er f****ng ***hole, and the law supports my right to say it. Does it make it right to say that to you?

• Like 2

3 hours ago, garfield said:

You need to spend more time with drum corps staffs and executives.

I swear, as cynical as I can be, I continually hear, year after year, that the kids' experience is what drives the people who power this activity.

Why are you different?

if the kids experience is the utmost importance....and DCi has stepped in several times to help the kids...why not on this issue?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

23 hours ago, garfield said:

...and public pressure was brought to bear on the laws and they were changed and many people were happy with the change.

Golly,  I really thought our system of government was better understood by more of the population who lives under it.

Your viewpoint of the existing law is not the basis of adjudication under that law.  If you rally enough support to change the law, so be it!  Really, good for you!

But the law as it stands now is the law despite how it may conflict with your personal belief.

and this petition is brought to bear to put public pressure on DCI to do something....and many people would be happy with the change.

Edited by JohnZ
  • Thanks 2

12 hours ago, Stu said:

A simple official statement would go a long way in CYA for DCI.

Sorry for responding to this so many hours after the initial post but it has been nagging at me all day. Is CYA really a good motivation for DCI to make a statement on this issue? How about it is the right thing to do.  No convicted sexual predators or registered sexual offenders are allowed to instruct our youth. Can they have a second chance at redeeming their lives? Yes, of course ... but not with this youth activity. 

Edited by Jurassic Lancer
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 11/1/2017 at 6:38 AM, garfield said:

...Having DCI, the org, be some watch-dog for social policy is exactly not the type of central control that the member corps want to endow in DCI or its staff.

On 11/1/2017 at 7:16 PM, garfield said:

...If the corps is compliant with all laws of their states of domicile and performance, why would DCI step in?

...But the law as it stands now is the law despite how it may conflict with your personal belief.

6 hours ago, garfield said:

...Fine, they disagree with the law.  I stand with the law.

6 hours ago, garfield said:

...Many poster confuse the issue of the OP with personal beliefs, and with the law's interpretation of the actions of other humans.

Please place the following in context with the quoted posts above: There is currently a push to have a DCI show at the new stadium being built for the Raiders in Las Vegas.  Let’s say for the sake of this example that it is going to be a major DCI show like San Antonio, which means that all member corps will compete. And since it is Vegas, the corps might also decide to have a free-day for the performers.  What if many of the corps staff get together and realize that there is something completely legal down the road in the rural parts of NV.  So, as a treat, they take the 21 year-old members to one of 'the ranches', which again is legal in the State of Nevada.  They perform parts of their shows as entertainment and promotion, then they go into the rooms and, um. perform their private shows. Should DCI step in and say NO, not under our watch and banner, and hold the corps directors accountable?  Or, because it is legal, should DCI just turn away and not get involved with the social-policy decisions of the individual corps?

Edited by Stu

22 minutes ago, Jurassic Lancer said:

Sorry for responding to this so many hours after the initial post but it has been nagging at me all day. Is CYA really a good motivation for DCI to make a statement on this issue? How about it is the right thing to do.  No convicted sexual predators or registered sexual offenders are allowed to instruct our youth. Can they have a second chance at redeeming their lives? Yes, of course ... but not here. 

I agree it is the right thing to do.  But Gar is correct in that attorneys go after the money; and since this would be a civil suit situation for DCI I used the CYA reasoning.

2 hours ago, Stu said:

A contractor who lives in Nevada, has a Nevada State record but not a Federal record, then travels to a site in Illinois to work, and the company in Illinois is only required to run a Federal check and an Illinois check, that person will not have anything amiss in the reports either.

Not true. FBI clearances, which are required by most (if not all) states, will contain this info.

I agree the safety of the young adults and kids are priority. I also think if you are going to hit us with the heavy artillery don't be nameless and faceless.