Sign the Petition

31 minutes ago, Kamarag said:

Not true. FBI clearances, which are required by most (if not all) states, will contain this info.

Is true. FBI criminal background checks only cover crimes where the Feds are involved, it does not cover State and local crimes listed in the various State and local data bases. While there is a National sex offender registry, that is a Fed issue. But State crimes like theft, battery, etc.. are not listed in the FBI data base.

Edited by Stu

24 minutes ago, Stu said:

Is true. FBI criminal background checks only cover crimes where the Feds are involved, it does not cover State and local crimes listed in the various State and local data bases. While there is a National sex offender registry, that is a Fed issue. But State crimes like theft, battery, etc.. are not listed in the FBI data base.

Nope. Just discussed this with my sister, who is an FBI Special Agent.

• Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, Kamarag said:

Nope. Just discussed this with my sister, who is an FBI Special Agent.

Then it has changed. The last time I checked the States could share State info with the Feds if they wanted to, but they were not compelled to share. So, the FBI can now tap into all 50 State data bases and a Fed check will now show all listed local and State crimes?

1 hour ago, Stu said:

Please place the following in context with the quoted posts above: There is currently a push to have a DCI show at the new stadium being built for the Raiders in Las Vegas.  Let’s say for the sake of this example that it is going to be a major DCI show like San Antonio, which means that all member corps will compete. And since it is Vegas, the corps might also decide to have a free-day for the performers.  What if many of the corps staff get together and realize that there is something completely legal down the road in the rural parts of NV.  So, as a treat, they take the 21 year-old members to one of 'the ranches', which again is legal in the State of Nevada.  They perform parts of their shows as entertainment and promotion, then they go into the rooms and, um. perform their private shows. Should DCI step in and say NO, not under our watch and banner, and hold the corps directors accountable?  Or, because it is legal, should DCI just turn away and not get involved with the social-policy decisions of the individual corps?

Your imaginary scenario is completely legal, but my guess if it played out in a slightly different way, we'd see an uproar. Replace the  drum corps with a college band which performs at a half time show at a bowl game. The instrutional staff takes the 21 year olds for the same night on the town. Two things would happen. One the college would fire the staff, or if they are volunteers, bar them from further participation. Why? Colleges have strict policies forbidding staff to fraternize with students. Huge boundary issues would be involved. Second the NCAA would step in and at a minimum, fine the school because it was connected to an athletic event. The NCAA is far from perfect, and when it comes to ethics, DCI could probably teach it a thing or two, but the NCAA came down on Penn State in the Jerry Sandusky case (as it should have) and it came down hard on coaches who used parties and prostitutes to recruit players.  Also the NCAA functions in college athletics in the same manner DCI functions for drum corps.

20 hours ago, Jeff Ream said:

and this petition is brought to bear to put public pressure on DCI to do something....and many people would be happy with the change.

My rationale is perfectly intact.  It's the emotions of people's viewpoints that has clouded the issue.

If the BoD believe that they need to centralize the surveillance of harassment policy, they will pass policies to make that so.

But think logically about what that actually means.  Have we even identified what's expected to be done?

The issue of the petition is credible, even if the petitioner's action is misguided. 

But what's really being accomplished is that a particular poster has succeeded in bringing up the saga of a single person, in a single corps, and gain a platform for his brand of retribution because he believes the court failed him.

I suppose there's nothing illegal about that.  But, as you asked me, does that mean that it should be done?

Edited by JohnZ

21 hours ago, BRASSO said:

They say men's brains and women's brain's work differently.  Perhaps its so. I don't really pretend to know one way or the other.. maybe I need to study this more.

But assuming for a moment that men's brain's work differently than women's brains, I'm now of the opinion from reading pages upon pages of this thread topic that we've heard a lot of the men's brains working overtime on this thread topic, but very little input from the women's brains comments. Its relative, as afterall, the victims in almost all of the offenses we are talking about here were females. ( not all, but almost all ). As such, it might be helpful for us men on here to take a breath and see if we have some female DCP posters on here that would like to chime in on their thoughts on this. Just a suggestion anyway. if the young women on here are too timid to speak up, or theres really not a lot of them around here on DCP or what not... we can, after a pause, begin once again to have the men's brains begin to dominate the discussion  here re. female victims of sex offenses of one degree or another being perpetrated on females, and whether or not things are fine as they are in DCI... or if the men's brains ( that run DCI ) can do a bit more by putting their mens brains together to see if they might consider doing some things a bit differently in the future to provide a higher level of confidence in a safer environment for all. Just a thought anyway..

Absolutely.  The women should speak up.  And they do more and more often.

Edited by JohnZ

5 hours ago, Tim K said:

Your imaginary scenario is completely legal, but my guess if it played out in a slightly different way, we'd see an uproar. Replace the  drum corps with a college band which performs at a half time show at a bowl game. The instrutional staff takes the 21 year olds for the same night on the town. Two things would happen. One the college would fire the staff, or if they are volunteers, bar them from further participation. Why? Colleges have strict policies forbidding staff to fraternize with students. Huge boundary issues would be involved. Second the NCAA would step in and at a minimum, fine the school because it was connected to an athletic event. The NCAA is far from perfect, and when it comes to ethics, DCI could probably teach it a thing or two, but the NCAA came down on Penn State in the Jerry Sandusky case (as it should have) and it came down hard on coaches who used parties and prostitutes to recruit players.  Also the NCAA functions in college athletics in the same manner DCI functions for drum corps.

Wow, um, wait.  Do you have evidence that shows THIS is actually the case?  Their by-laws are the same as DCI's?

If the member corps of DCI want to change the by-laws to vest supervision and penalty power in DCI on harassment issues, they surely can.

And, if they want to draft policies that say something like no corps shall hire any staff member who has ever been, what, accused, tried, convicted, punished, served time for sexual harassment?, then OK, I suppose they can do that. too.

I didn't start this petition as a passive aggressive jab at any one organization. I've been in and around the activity for a long time. I know plenty of stories from plenty of corps.

It's time for this behavior to stop.

In the interest of keep the thread and the petition going, and not starting pointless flame wars, please refrain from targeting any one individual. This is bigger than one person. Just sign the petition, and if you really believe in it, share the petition. Share it on Facebook, Twitter, tumblr, whatever.

https://www.change.org/p/dan-acheson-have-dci-protect-students-from-sex-offenders-and-sexual-misconduct-by-staff

The goal is not to "take DCI down" or bring any particular corps to justice. I don't want any organization hurt at all. The goal is for DCI and the corps which direct DCI to put strong protections in place, to protect an activity we all love. This is the responsible thing to do.

Also, I'm well aware that Dan Acheson does not set edicts for the corps to follow. I have named him (and others) for visibility. The people with the authority to make this decision are the corps directors who compromise the DCI board of directors. Likewise for Dan Potter and Tim Hinton. They don't have authority over it, they just have visibility. So that's why they are tagged, because I want people to bring the conversation to them. Because they are so visible.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

I'm usually not the petition-signing type, but I've seen/personally dealt with enough BS to know that the activity is one "60 Minutes" exposé away from getting fundamentally damaged.

I was in an organization that did a lot of things right, but still had too many "open secrets." It's encouraging to see some of the bigger organizations take charge, but based on some of the Reddit bombshells I've seen, more needs to be done.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1