Sign the Petition

Just now, Terri Schehr said:

LOL!  A personal attack would have to be personal.   Lots of drama thought. 

Probably thinks this song is about him. Don’t you don’t you 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Stu said:

So, it is ok to give the sex offender, after serving time, a second shot at raping more students but not a third; that sounds like a really great philosophy to say to the second kid who gets raped due to the second chance the offender had to be around students.

This is a problem FAR bigger than Drum Corps - What do you do with unrepentant child abusers once they have completed their prison sentence?  And, as these perps are generally convicted in State courts, there are 50 different (+ some territories & DC) approaches.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jim Schehr said:

The decision to sign the petition or not is pretty simple. You’re either for or against sexual abuse and harassment of marching members. All the mansplaining and amateur legal jargon isn’t going to change opinions. 

I'm pretty sure no one here is "for" sexual abuse - that's such an irresponsible and unfair argument - similar to the all-too-common these days statement which implies > anti-open borders "you must be a racist"

I think it's a bad idea, real bad. And that doesn't make someone pro-sexual abuse. 

Edited by George Dixon

13 minutes ago, Terri Schehr said:

LOL!  A personal attack would have to be personal.   Lots of drama though. 

implying that if you're not pro-petition you must be "pro-sexual abuse" is pretty unfair and, frankly, offensive...

11 minutes ago, Terri Schehr said:

LOL!  A personal attack would have to be personal.   Lots of drama though. 

Yes.  I am aware of the technicality that apparently separates that sort of a statement from an actionable offense on DCP, and I have seen it hidden behind many times.  That was my point.  And yes, accusing people of being "for" sexual abuse will certainly create drama.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, IllianaLancerContra said:

This is a problem FAR bigger than Drum Corps - What do you do with unrepentant child abusers once they have completed their prison sentence?  And, as these perps are generally convicted in State courts, there are 50 different (+ some territories & DC) approaches.

Apparently, since they have served their time, some advocate giving them a second chance to be around students.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jim Schehr said:

The decision to sign the petition or not is pretty simple. You’re either for or against sexual abuse and harassment of marching members. All the mansplaining and amateur legal jargon isn’t going to change opinions. 

55 minutes ago, skevinp said:

Couching someone who doesn't sign a petition as being "for" sexual abuse is beyond ridiculous.  The only thing that separates this from practically the most horrendous personal attack I have ever read on DCP is that it lacks the courage to name the people it accuses.  

5 minutes ago, George Dixon said:

implying that if you're not pro-petition you must be "pro-sexual abuse" is pretty unfair and, frankly, offensive...

There is a saying that goes, “An omission of the truth, when the truth is known and relevant, is still a lie”.  That philosophy also applies to tolerance, or tacit approval, of an organization or person that omits or ignores an issue such as this.  And a person advocating that DCI, which is the corps, which does oversee the corps, which does create guidelines for the corps, to turn a blind eye to this issue by not creating a general policy requirement for all corps to become and remain member corps is a form of tolerance and/or tacit approval.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, Stu said:

Apparently, since they have served their time, some advocate giving them a second chance to be around students.

Again - they have served their time -i.e., paid their debt to society.  The fact that most now are put on a 'Child Sex Abuser' list as part of the sentence helps keep track of these individuals.  & the databases from one state are supposed to 'talk' to databases from another state.  But,  as they are generally restricted from living within a certain distance of schools etc, it makes sense for something that is a youth education activity should be very wary of allowing them near youth.

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure

• Thanks 2

1 hour ago, IllianaLancerContra said:

Again - they have served their time -i.e., paid their debt to society.  The fact that most now are put on a 'Child Sex Abuser' list as part of the sentence helps keep track of these individuals.  & the databases from one state are supposed to 'talk' to databases from another state.  But,  as they are generally restricted from living within a certain distance of schools etc, it makes sense for something that is a youth education activity should be very wary of allowing them near youth.

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure

Being released from incarceration does not nessecerely mean they have completed paying their debt to society. A  sentence which includes incarceration time (and) 'lifetime probation' or 'lifetime listing on a registry' or 'lifetime ban from teaching' means while they may be out of prison, the full debt to society is not paid until their death.

Edited by Stu
  • Thanks 1