2018 Show Announcent/Rumors?

3 minutes ago, mingusmonk said:

You say it doesn't affect placement (I agree) but then you make examples that seem to imply that later announcements = lower placements. :42_confused:

I see what you mean...perhaps I should have said...bluecoats was last to announce 2 seasons in a row...the first season they won...the second season they took 5th...hence the announcement is a no starter...in terms of their competitive placement...

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Liahona said:

IMO it does not affect competitive placement...and just offers nothing more than a FAN DISCONNECT...especially from the super fans...Bluecoats announced last and sans a few WC corps that didn't even announce at all...got 5th...it was a big secret at Cadet-land sans donors who paid $$$ to hear a few things early...that didn't seem to help them either...I could name others as well...

Yes, the lockdown mode seems way overdone, imo... These Corps are entitled to do this, but Jeez.. com'on.

1 hour ago, Liahona said:

I see what you mean...perhaps I should have said...bluecoats was last to announce 2 seasons in a row...the first season they won...the second season they took 5th...hence the announcement is a no starter...in terms of their competitive placement...

if i recall Tilt wasn't trotted out super early. it's a game. builds suspense.

and really if 5th is bad, heaven help us all

• Like 4

Bottom line, there seems to be no competitive advantage, nor disadvantage, to giving fans access to show themes/ music early, or waiting until you are one of the last.

So I guess it comes down to  suspense. Does going into isolation and info lockdown build suspense, or does it lead to more fan apathy ? I suppose the answer to this depends on each individual's reaction to the winter's hibernation, something relatively new for Corps in the off season now. Is this new level of secrecy mostly the result of the need to secure music copywrites approvals ? Some of it perhaps. But something tells me that its more at work here than just " the copywrites " needing to be secured. What music " copywrite " requirements prevent the Corps from showing at each camp 8-12 minute video clips of the Brass and the Percussion playing such things as fundamentals practice, Corps Songs practice, Corps encore songs practices, etc and the like ? None.  None as near as I can tell anyway. Keeping show music hidden and themes secret for a bit, can be certainly justified. But video clips of the Corps practicing the other stuff from each of their off season camps ? Hmnnn... I don't quite get whats up with THAT not being released on a much more frequent basis.

Edited by BRASSO

10 hours ago, kdaddy said:

That's what I'm thinking with St. Patrick - hand-to-hand combat to drive the snakes out of Ireland? :3_grin:

Yeah we could both be right. 

Copyright, people.  The word is copyright.  Every time I see "copywrite" I get a little closer to knowing how Michael Boo feels when he sees "Blue Coats".  

There certainly is such a thing as copywriting, as in writing copy.  Just as there are coats that are blue.  

And there are coats that are white, which is what would be worn by the men who eventually take me away if I hadn't spoken up.  

I'm feeling much better now.  Carry on.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, skevinp said:

Copyright, people.  The word is copyright.  Every time I see "copywrite" I get a little closer to knowing how Michael Boo feels when he sees "Blue Coats".  

There certainly is such a thing as copywriting, as in writing copy.  Just as there are coats that are blue.  

And there are coats that are white, which is what would be worn by the men who eventually take me away if I hadn't spoken up.  

Carrion? That's eating them up.

1 hour ago, skevinp said:

it's not all copyright, and if the rumor is true, some announced and never got the rights