2018 Show Announcent/Rumors?

On 11/11/2017 at 6:42 PM, George Dixon said:

Cadets are doing a show based on race relations with an all black and white color scheme - and a bit of red shows up for a bit, then some yellow at the end

It will be very controversial 

(this is a rumor)

See San Antonio's Ronald Reagan HS Band 2017 program "Us and Them" as a similar "test" concept - Cadets arranger there as well...

(again, this is a rumor)

That could make sense if they're doing Bernstein music, since Westside Story had a lot of racial tension themes (I think? It's been a while since I've seen it) 

But it's a very touchy subject so it's got the potential to be insanely controversial (in a more serious way than the usual Cadets design controversies) 

On 11/11/2017 at 6:42 PM, George Dixon said:

Cadets are doing a show based on race relations with an all black and white color scheme - and a bit of red shows up for a bit, then some yellow at the end

(this is a rumor)

See San Antonio's Ronald Reagan HS Band 2017 program "Us and Them" as a similar "test" concept - Cadets arranger there as well...

(again, this is a rumor)

if a rumor...well....don't cry when you get blowback

• Like 1

On 11/11/2017 at 5:42 PM, George Dixon said:

(this is a rumor)

(again, this is a rumor)

I would hope that their designers are smart enough to stay away from this subject. It is so controversial, and to be honest, even if it's incredibly well done, it will be difficult to sell. I could see judges and fans reacting negatively regardless of the angle they take, and how well it is done.

11 minutes ago, dcifan1999 said:

I would hope that their designers are smart enough to stay away from this subject. It is so controversial, and to be honest, even if it's incredibly well done, it will be difficult to sell. I could see judges and fans reacting negatively regardless of the angle they take, and how well it is done.

If that is true that sounds more like a WGI Guard show. I've seen WGI shows that tackle subjects like this that are controversial.

47 minutes ago, dcifan1999 said:

I agree with you. But then again, don't the GH Cadets have a tendency to pick "controversial show themes" (MASS, Christmas, Sarah Rogers, etc., etc.) that are hard to sell? 

"2018 Bluecoats will have a tarp covering the entire field
Tarp will not be a plain color - will be environmental and influenced by the show concept like indoor tarps (only cover an entire football field)
Will have props on top of the tarp
Will have show-specific "costumes" for every "cast member"
Even watching Jagged Line next August will look quite old-school by the time the 2018 season is done."

This was posted to the Drum Corps subreddit, I don't believe it, but it is a rumor

1 hour ago, xandandl said:

I agree with you. But then again, don't the GH Cadets have a tendency to pick "controversial show themes" (MASS, Christmas, Sarah Rogers, etc., etc.) that are hard to sell? 

the theme may be controversial. But.....how literal/over the top do you go to portray it? Sometimes, less is more.

1 hour ago, IntercalaryTurtle said:

"2018 Bluecoats will have a tarp covering the entire field
Tarp will not be a plain color - will be environmental and influenced by the show concept like indoor tarps (only cover an entire football field)
Will have props on top of the tarp
Will have show-specific "costumes" for every "cast member"
Even watching Jagged Line next August will look quite old-school by the time the 2018 season is done."

This was posted to the Drum Corps subreddit, I don't believe it, but it is a rumor

except DCI policy says you cant use it on natural turf

• Like 1

7 hours ago, dcifan1999 said:

I would hope that their designers are smart enough to stay away from this subject. 

I just hope their designers are smart enough not to do West Side Story again. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Yorkvillain said:

I just hope their designers are smart enough not to do West Side Story again. 

I'm not opposed if done well.

I've said all along the ending in 09 was their undoing. too many melodies thrown together too fast with drill that was truly insane, and possibly unsafe.

oh and no Z pull

• Like 1