Time for NO size limit in WC (or at least up it from 150)

Imagine if this proposal ( much larger Corps ) was adopted.. oh say... a decade ago. I could easily envision 3 of the current top 8 Corps in DCI... and maybe 5 of the top 16,  perhaps no longer with us. More than 1 prominent DCI Corps is struggling to keep afloat with 155 marchers in tow with their current budget/ resources that they have. With more marchers, comes more expensive instruments they'd have on the field, even bigger staffs to teach them, more mouths to feed on tour, more gas guzzling vehicles, etc and dozens of additional costs to be incurred if we had even larger Corps than what we have today.

Edited by BRASSO
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, BRASSO said:

Imagine if this proposal ( much larger Corps ) was adopted.. oh say... a decade ago. I could easily envision 3 of the current top 8 Corps in DCI... and maybe 5 of the top 16,  perhaps no longer with us. More than 1 prominent DCI Corps is struggling to keep afloat with 155 marchers in tow with their current budget/ resources that they have. With more marchers, comes more expensive instruments they'd have on the field, even bigger staffs to teach them, more mouths to feed on tour, more gas guzzling vehicles, etc and dozens of additional costs to be incurred if we had even larger Corps than what we have today.

Exactly - any rules change needs to look at all the consequences.  When the pit was allowed, within a few years everyone was getting concert marimbas et al, & all of a sudden needed another truck to haul them.  Same with electronics.  Someone suggested we should ignore logistical impacts, but I maintain that is the FIRST thing we should think about.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, IllianaLancerContra said:

I marched in a huge college band - there is a point where the field gets just too crowded.  Props certainly don't help either.

So, I say , go back to 128 members - the idea was that this would only require 3 busses (less carbon emissions, better for the planet, cheaper for the Corps).    This could also help increase membership of smaller Corps (Pioneer come so mind)

Flame shields up

I'd prefer this more than an increase. How many more people can you cram in the pit, anyway?

Ya a big no to more people.  The gulf already widened between the haves and the have nots..lets not make it worse.

Stop the nonsense---150 is enough and sustainable.  Upping the numbers would only lead to the top 6 separating themselves even further from the rest of the corps.  It is difficult enough now for the bottom half of DCI to recruit 150.   

8 hours ago, xandandl said:

Housing of corps is already difficult. 150 laid-out sleeping bags, mattresses, and cots is already pushing the limit where corps have been given permission to stay. Any increase in members will increase costs again (Not every school is a Texas mega-factory.)

George is just setting us up for his proposal that the DCI tour restrict itself to Texas from now on.

5 hours ago, Stu said:

Participation in the Olympics, the Little League World Series, DCI, et. al. are privaliges and luxuries, they are, never have been, and never should be, 'rights'.

And all such activities benefit when there are fewer barriers preventing talented individuals from participating.

9 hours ago, Slingerland said:

150 is based on current bus capacity for modern-day coaches (53 is common in the busses rented today).

Re: the original post, adding 50 more members would do little to improve the on-field production, and serve to increase the amount of drag for each corps when it comes to moving the members around, getting them fed, communications, etc, etc. Theoretically it would help put another 700-800 people in the stands for Finals night, but aside from that, I'm not sure I see a value for DCI in the increase.

exactly. the cost for the additional 50 bodies...and staff needed as well....from transportation, food, insurance, uniforms, equipment.....far outweigh the revenue that would be brought in.