Time for NO size limit in WC (or at least up it from 150)

In the 60's a huge horn line was 33- 36 horns St. Kevins.. Sac...Chicago Cavaliers, Royalaires..  

The population of the U.S. was 170 million people.. it is now 325 million.  400 marchers on a field would be counter productive, chaotic.  Drum corps has grown proportionately.  it had to !   Will there ever be almost 90 corps like there were in Montreal ?  No..  The larger corps have increased interest and attendance across the tour, and the quality has been commensurate.    A few more marchers will not destroy or save some of the struggling corps, however a better shake from DCI and some collaboration with the strong corps might help somewhat

37 minutes ago, N.E. Brigand said:

And all such activities benefit when there are fewer barriers preventing talented individuals from participating.

If a youth is talented enough to make it into the Olympics, the Little League World Series, or a DCI WC top corps, and the youth happens to be underprivileged, there are always people willing to relieve them of those barriers.  Therefore talented youth who can actually perform at that level are never turned away.

Edited by Stu

7 hours ago, IllianaLancerContra said:

Exactly - any rules change needs to look at all the consequences.  When the pit was allowed, within a few years everyone was getting concert marimbas et al, & all of a sudden needed another truck to haul them.  Same with electronics.  Someone suggested we should ignore logistical impacts, but I maintain that is the FIRST thing we should think about.

Add the prop proliferation to this. How many corps are running an extra truck all summer long just to haul them around. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, George Dixon said:

I'll flip that around and ask "is the model perfected"? I think not. I believe that the jump to 150 improved the overall quality and appeal of DCI - why stop there?

Because every time the bar is raised, more corps trip over it.  We went from 400 corps to 40 corps over the DCI era.  What we should be doing is looking at ways to reverse that trend.

And if we adopted your philosophy, expanding from local/regional to national/international tours improved the overall appeal and visibility of DCI.  Why stop there?  Expand the DCI tour to other continents.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, bluehull said:

!70 would be fine. at least ten more horns.  Lets not worry about the busses or personal corps logistics.  Its about the show, the presentation, the sound, that is appealing to the public that are paying to see a good product.  

Larger corps are not the regulators of smaller corps that struggle.  Hundreds of potential corps members do not march at all when they do not make a WC corps

When the rest of the world cleans up their act we will worry about the fourth bus.

You won't improve the show by adding more.  

Limits were placed on Drum Corps for a reason, to encourage and select only the best players / performers and push the creative envelope.  Relying on electronic insurments, amplification and static props results in less emphasis on the individual performers and will eventually make all corps look and sound the same (ordinary).  

• Like 2

16 hours ago, Invictus said:

The activity is far too expensive for those who even think of participating.  Reduce the cost and then watch to see if applicants are only willing to try for corps that are in the upper echelons. 

The current costs are outrageous.  Yeah, I'm older.  Yeah it changes nothing for how I feel as to what it takes to participate in a corps from a financial perspective. 

Marching is quickly becoming a luxury.  

It was a luxury when I marched as well, from 64-72.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, N.E. Brigand said:

And all such activities benefit when there are fewer barriers preventing talented individuals from participating.

To follow the analogy then to Little league World Series here and to numbers on the field... there is NO effort afloat to change the numbers on the field in the Little League World Series . It is currently 9

And it will probably remain at 9 until infants no longer need a diaper.

Edited by BRASSO
  • Like 1

I say keep it where it is.  It's hard to read the show as it is now, especially in smaller stadiums or lower seats and in just one viewing.  I honestly enjoyed the 128 limit, as it allowed the audience and the designers to focus on just one or two elements. 

• Like 1