Time for NO size limit in WC (or at least up it from 150)

4 hours ago, stevedci said:

Evidently Dunbar never met my extended Irish clan of cousins  nor the Italian family next door, ;0

I'm one of 9, my aunt and uncle next door had 10, my Mom was one of 12, and my father's parents were one of 9 and one of 14. If families today were again that large there would be plenty of drum corps.

6 minutes ago, xandandl said:

Evidently Dunbar never met my extended Irish clan of cousins  nor the Italian family next door, ;0

I'm one of 9, my aunt and uncle next door had 10, my Mom was one of 12, and my father's parents were one of 9 and one of 14. If families today were again that large there would be plenty of drum corps.

But could a family afford to participate?  You would need group rates for a touring corps.

1 hour ago, xandandl said:

Perhaps, but a local TV station reported about fewer kids playing football, believing it was due to concussions, but the theory was blown out of the water when it was pointed out that more kids are playing lacrosse and rugby and that basketball and hockey coaches prefer soccer as a fall sport because it requires more running and is better for conditioning. More athletic choices, fewer football players. For drum corps, we know cost is a factor, family size could be a factor as well, but I think a wider choice of activities plays a major role too.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Tim K said:

Perhaps, but a local TV station reported about fewer kids playing football, believing it was due to concussions, but the theory was blown out of the water when it was pointed out that more kids are playing lacrosse and rugby and that basketball and hockey coaches prefer soccer as a fall sport because it requires more running and is better for conditioning. More athletic choices, fewer football players. 

Concussions in football, and University research studies now showing extraordinary long range cognitive damage to the brains of former football players later in life who've had concussions, is clearly showing up in significant lower participation rates for Pop Warner Football now however. Expectations that even much lower levels of football will take place in the future at the high school levels can be found everywhere too. its not just the fact that " rugby" is preferred ( They have just as many concussions, its just not studied as much in this sport http://www.espn.com/espn/otl/story/_/page/popwarner/pop-warner-youth-football-participation-drops-nfl-concussion-crisis-seen-causal-factor

and more recently...http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/local/breaking/ct-football-youth-decline-met-20170904-story.html

Edited by BRASSO

2 hours ago, Tim K said:

...a wider choice of activities plays a major role too.

This! Structured activities for youth today compared to yesteryear is akin to media access. In the 1960's there were just three tv networks, a movie house or maybe two, and three hs sports; today there are hundreds of satellite stations, internet streaming content in the millions, Facebook, Twitter, computer video games, and a plethora of hs and other youth activities.

3 hours ago, BRASSO said:

Concussions in football, and University research studies now showing extraordinary long range cognitive damage to the brains of former football players later in life who've had concussions, is clearly showing up in significant lower participation rates for Pop Warner Football now however. Expectations that even much lower levels of football will take place in the future at the high school levels can be found everywhere too. its not just the fact that " rugby" is preferred ( They have just as many concussions, its just not studied as much in this sport http://www.espn.com/espn/otl/story/_/page/popwarner/pop-warner-youth-football-participation-drops-nfl-concussion-crisis-seen-causal-factor

and more recently...http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/local/breaking/ct-football-youth-decline-met-20170904-story.html

You're correct and the story I was referring to in the earlier post is not recent (probably about two years ago). In the Greater Boston area Pop Warner Football had been declining for years and soccer was often to blame, then lacrosse and rugby gaining popularity was seen as a factor, but I am sure that the recent local declines (one local group could barely field a team, one city with two programs recently combined and even with that had smaller numbers) is due to concerns about concussions.

• Like 1

All the credit in the world to the band kids who suit up in the cold weather, like the weather that is forecast for this weekend in the East. 

When I marched corps, I definitely preferred warm weather. The warmer, the better. Heck... that is still the case with me. LOL

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Brian Tuma said:

Let’s look at the other side of the coin. Does anybody think World Class should have a minimum number of marchers? If I remember correctly, Open Class has a minimum. 

Good question on whether Open Class has a minimum number of marchers required. I do know that both the Racine Scouts, and the Les Stentors, for 2 examples, had really,  small Corps that competed in Open Class Division a few years back.