Time for NO size limit in WC (or at least up it from 150)

2 hours ago, Fran Haring said:

All the credit in the world to the band kids who suit up in the cold weather, like the weather that is forecast for this weekend in the East. 

When I marched corps, I definitely preferred warm weather. The warmer, the better. Heck... that is still the case with me. LOL

Yeah...our last show is Saturday at MetLife. We already have parents providing hand and foot warmers to the kids, and have told them to dress WARM. It is going to be cold!

• Like 1

I think getting bigger is the wrong thing to do. There is a sense of ELITE classification that we feel and take pride in when watching the best DCI Corps. They are not supposed to be the largest "bands." They are supposed to be the height of creativity, performance, and visual prowess on a football field. Drum Corps International and its' member corps will lose their ELITE and PIONEERING status with larger groups that look like large college/HS marching bands. They will suffer from visual constraints, especially if props are to be used. 

There is the potential for such a move to harm smaller corps. Bigger isn't always better, and the obvious size difference with some corps (the top 12 or so) might require DCI to readjust its' division classifications. This might create a smaller World Class division, with all else being stuffed into Open Class, or perhaps the addition of a new class. 

Edited by jwillis35
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

15 hours ago, BRASSO said:

Good question on whether Open Class has a minimum number of marchers required. I do know that both the Racine Scouts, and the Les Stentors, for 2 examples, had really,  small Corps that competed in Open Class Division a few years back. 

30 minimum

• Like 1

On paper, raising the limit seems great, but the only way to grow the activity, and the amount of great corps and performers involved, the 150 minimum is necessary.  There is a reason we have seen the influx of great corps start to rise up and be serious competitive powerhouses (Legends, Music City, Spartans).  Those corps are probably known as they best in the area.  What do the local folks do when they find out there are better corps than the fantastic ones near them?  They probably travel to go see them.  The limit forces talent down into lower corps and in turn the activity becomes stronger.  The limit is essential.

Edited by BoaDci
  • Like 1

On 11/9/2017 at 5:13 AM, jwillis35 said:

I think getting bigger is the wrong thing to do. There is a sense of ELITE classification that we feel and take pride in when watching the best DCI Corps. They are not supposed to be the largest "bands." They are supposed to be the height of creativity, performance, and visual prowess on a football field. Drum Corps International and its' member corps will lose their ELITE and PIONEERING status with larger groups that look like large college/HS marching bands. They will suffer from visual constraints, especially if props are to be used. 

There is the potential for such a move to harm smaller corps. Bigger isn't always better, and the obvious size difference with some corps (the top 12 or so) might require DCI to readjust its' division classifications. This might create a smaller World Class division, with all else being stuffed into Open Class, or perhaps the addition of a new class. 

it's interesting. I agree AND I disagree based on different factors

When I watch BOA Nats (which I'm currently doing right now) I feel the WC corps should go larger. DCI at 150 is somewhat visually "constrained" - these BOA programs are really pushing the edge of what DCI puts on the field, and for the non-DCI savvy person - could be considered "more impressive"

Combine that 200 or so folks with DCI rehearsal schedules and talent level and you'd have some extremely impressive displays on the field touring our nation. 

I also really believe MORE total members would march. Which would mean MORE seats in the stands IMO

Now - on the flip side there is a slight "dilution" that takes place. Our lead folks and soloists become a slightly smaller part of the overall %

Then costs - do they drop per member but go up overall? What is better? I'm thinking the % of overall corps revenue from dues would go up?

Regarding division of classes - what I've always proposed:

WC = unlimited size, at all regionals and tours extensively nationally

NC = National Class (our current WC) = tours nationally, hits all "full" regionals and a National Class Champion is awarded at regionals plus on Friday night of finals. Top 4 or so advance to Saturdays WC finals at Indy and also compete for WC championship if they outscore the WC corps. This is approximately the 10th or so place corps downward. 150 size limit

RC = Regionally touring corps (current open class) with a 150 size limit and may or may not attend finals in Indy. Championships Monday/Tuesday 

So an additional "class" and an additional opportunity for a championship

Edited by George Dixon

15 minutes ago, George Dixon said:

When I watch BOA Nats (which I'm currently doing right now) I feel the WC corps should go larger. DCI at 150 is somewhat visually "constrained" - these BOA programs are really pushing the edge of what DCI puts on the field, and for the non-DCI savvy person - could be considered "more impressive"

Combine that 200 or so folks with DCI rehearsal schedules and talent level and you'd have some extremely impressive displays on the field touring our nation. 

I also really believe MORE total members would march. Which would mean MORE seats in the stands IMO

Now - on the flip side there is a slight "dilution" that takes place. Our lead folks and soloists become a slightly smaller part of the overall %

Then costs - do they drop per member but go up overall? What is better? I'm thinking the % of overall corps revenue from dues would go up?

NC = National Class (our current WC) = tours nationally, hits all "full" regionals and a National Class Champion is awarded at regionals plus on Friday night of finals. Top 4 or so advance to Saturdays WC finals at Indy and also compete for WC championship if they outscore the WC corps. This is approximately the 10th or so place corps downward. 150 size limit

RC = Regionally touring corps (current open class) with a 150 size limit and may or may not attend finals in Indy. Championships Monday/Tuesday 

And the sniff test says..... G7 now proposed as G9.

1 hour ago, George Dixon said:

the costs far outweigh what dues would bring. You're adding another bus, so ad in those fees, plus fuel fees. Then increase the cost of insurance. Then increase the cost of food. Then increase the cost of housing. Then increase the cost of equipment and staff. And uniforms. and more vehicles to haul staff, equipment and uniforms, which also increase food, fuel, and insurance. Oh then you need more bodies to run the back end of things, which increases all of the above.

compared to increases in dues brought in. No way it breaks close to even. Then you have to jack up what sponsors pay to run shows, which in turn jack up ticket prices. Despite whatever Wall Street posts at the end of the day, the average persons salary isnt increasing like expenses are.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Stu said:

And the sniff test says..... G7 now proposed as G9.

which is why he isnt in charge of anything