BOA Finals - Indy - Nov 11

21 minutes ago, kdaddy said:

One of the drivers of that program is now coordinating things at the Academy.

Speaking of Blue Springs and the Academy, their colorguard uniforms reminded me of Drum Corpse Bride.

5 hours ago, Invictus said:

It's unfortunate that Claudia Taylor Johnson never went to finals.  I'm sure they would be close to the top. 

Jungleleluah

5 hours ago, George Dixon said:

absolutely - the outdated "it's just band" attitude some still cling to is really ridiculous

DCI is on a different level clearly due to experience, age and rehearsal time; but what these HS kids achieve is entirely impressive!

I figure the top BOA bands, if not penalized by rules against membership size and instrumentation, would score somewhere in the 70s. But once you accept that the sheer athleticism isn't there, it become very easy to enjoy high school marching bands for the artistry they do achieve.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Well, I watched (on Flo) about a quarter of the 100 bands in Prelims on Thursday and Friday (work days) and then all 37 bands who qualified for Semifinals starting at 6:30 this morning. None of the top five (separated from the next band by three points) were shows that I love, but they were certainly deserving of respect and worthy of their placements, and there were some lovable shows just a little lower down the scale, starting with the sixth place band, Dobyns-Bennett from Tennessee, in what I believe was their best finish ever. Ottorini Respighi and Howard Hanson!

• Like 1

6 hours ago, RetiredMusTeach said:

Wow!  Just finished watching Blue Springs, MO band.  My first time to see them.  Fantastic musically and visually - can't believe it was just high school kids, the level of musicality and excellence was so high. 

Well they have 3 Blue Devils staff members working with them so it's to be expected lol

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, N.E. Brigand said:

I figure the top BOA bands, if not penalized by rules against membership size and instrumentation, would score somewhere in the 70s. But once you accept that the sheer athleticism isn't there, it become very easy to enjoy high school marching bands for the artistry they do achieve.

I have no idea where these bands would place in DCI since I've never seen them live, but the kids are between 13-18, many school districts probably have policies that all kids must participate (I have heard a few schools have more than one band, but I would assume they are the exception), some kids may just be learning to march, not all have played their instruments as long as kids in DCI WC, etc. To expect the bands to be at the same level as DCI, especially WC finalists is unreasonable and your points are well taken. I think it's amazing they do as well as they do. I think with both DCI and school music programs, we're talking about kids, very talented and motivated kids, but kids nonetheless. Keep that in mind and your amazement will know no end.

8 hours ago, N.E. Brigand said:

Well, I watched (on Flo) about a quarter of the 100 bands in Prelims on Thursday and Friday (work days) and then all 37 bands who qualified for Semifinals starting at 6:30 this morning. None of the top five (separated from the next band by three points) were shows that I love, but they were certainly deserving of respect and worthy of their placements, and there were some lovable shows just a little lower down the scale, starting with the sixth place band, Dobyns-Bennett from Tennessee, in what I believe was their best finish ever. Ottorini Respighi and Howard Hanson!

Didn't Jeff Sacktig write their drill for many years? I know they've had a ton of Cavies as techs and that they also do USBands in adddition to BOA. A different sense of purpose from the ISSMA and UIL approaches. 

I hope Jay Webb, retiring from Avon, doesn't retire from DCI judging. His early season assessments (whether GE, music captions or percussion-ok, that can sometimes be musical, ha, ha.) are excellent for developing DCI shows from their June stances to late July/August excellence. Will Matt Harloff move up to replace him??

Edited by xandandl