Finals Format

1 hour ago, MikeD said:

Hmmmm... must be Charles ' brother... maybe he and his bro played separate tunes on the piano at the same time.   :whistle:

Father, actually. Charles Ives is, perhaps apocryphally, said to have been inspired by his father's stunt of having two bands, playing different music, march toward each other from opposite ends of the main street. Wikipedia describes it more prosaically, though.

Edited by N.E. Brigand
  • Like 1

17 hours ago, cixelsyd said:

In order to "copy BOA" as you suggest:

a.  Prelims would be split into two separate halves, on separate days, with separate judging panels.  Even though we all know scores from different panels are not truly comparable, advancement to semifinals would be determined by the top 30 scores across these two prelim panels.  But yes, we might not know who is winning at that point.

b.  Semifinals would run the same day as finals, starting as early in the morning as necessary to get in the requisite number of performances.

Of course, much of the mystery of BOA Grand Nationals is because so many of the bands there have not competed head-to-head earlier in the season.  To copy that would require eliminating tour, and sequestering corps in their home regions until championship week.

You can be a smart ### about it or actually read where I said random draw to not know the placements.  And if people gave up on after everything after one try the world would be a crappy place. All you old dinos can say is 88 but that was 30 seasons ago.  Thought the world was gonna end when they switched to B Flat, got rid of symmetrical drill,  Added narration, added electronics, added lights, and add props.  

51 minutes ago, BlueStainGlass said:

You can be a smart ### about it or actually read where I said random draw to not know the placements.  And if people gave up on after everything after one try the world would be a crappy place. All you old dinos can say is 88 but that was 30 seasons ago.  Thought the world was gonna end when they switched to B Flat, got rid of symmetrical drill,  Added narration, added electronics, added lights, and add props.  

What new 'anticipation' would this 6 on 6 Finals night random draw actually bring to DCI? (Especially when head to head scores and rankings are well known to most every fan for weeks in advance.) How would it be way more exciting than 2008 when Regiment was known to be third on Thursday, known to be second on Friday, and then the explosion of the crowd on Saturday when they were announced as Champion?

6 hours ago, BlueStainGlass said:

I was not being a smart ###. 

Honestly, did you not realize that BOA announces the top three in each class at the end of semifinals?  Everyone knows who is winning then, random draw or not.  Most of the suspense comes from the two features I enumerated - split prelims, and that these bands have not already competed head-to-head on a 35-show tour.

And since you bring it up, we proved not just in 1988, but in 2016, that DCI cannot keep a secret.  Results and recaps get leaked all the time.  The 1975 Muchachos are the only example I can think of where DCI actually withheld a result from us.

I read what you wrote, and I still did not think you really meant that a random draw for performance order would be the key factor to creating competitive suspense.

12 hours ago, BlueStainGlass said:

And if people gave up on after everything after one try the world would be a crappy place. All you old dinos can say is 88 but that was 30 seasons ago.  Thought the world was gonna end when they switched to B Flat, got rid of symmetrical drill,  Added narration, added electronics, added lights, and add props.  

As for 'one and done' is all that is needed from us dino's perspective to say never again: well the DCI broadcast also tried play by play commentary once during Finals in the early '80s; it worked out about as good as the '88 random draw!!!! So to place that into your position that we are old farts who merely hate change, how about you advocating for play by play commentary as well as random draw?

Edited by Stu

11 hours ago, BlueStainGlass said:

All you old dinos can say is 88 but that was 30 seasons ago.  Thought the world was gonna end when they switched to B Flat, got rid of symmetrical drill,  Added narration, added electronics, added lights, and add props.  

On DCP, angrily calling people dinos seems to be the last, though almost immediately invoked, refuge of advocates of bad ideas.

12 hours ago, BlueStainGlass said:

you forgot trombones.

5 hours ago, skevinp said:

advocates of bad ideas

That would be a cool name for a rock band!!!   LOL