Video edits 2017

2 hours ago, combia1 said:

In the case where the corps' original audio has to be muted due to copyright or sync license issues, I think DCI should have an alternate audio track on the DVD that dubs in Yakkity Sax instead.

I was thinking they could dub in some Hop Talk

4 hours ago, Stu said:

This would not be a direct case of breaking copyright sync law, but of facilitation in order to help someone to break the law.

Correct.  That was indeed the premise of my question. 

Per a little research, there are indeed (judicially created) doctrines of contributory infringement and inducement that are somewhat comparable to patent law, including recognized defenses.

6 hours ago, Jeff Ream said:

my thought exactly. DCI could claim innocence on intent all they want, they'd lose

If they merely provided the video without doing anything specifically aimed at it being synchronized, though, I don't think that would be the case, because there are arguably substantial non-infringing uses to a video with no sound.  As somebody else mentioned, they might obtain such a video just to watch the drill.

Edited by skevinp

7 minutes ago, skevinp said:

What law is this statement based on?  I'm not so sure it is correct because there are arguably substantial non-infringing uses to a video with no sound.  As somebody else mentioned, they might obtain such a video just to watch the drill.

But the suggestion was not just the video without audio, but for the video to also have purposely imbedded time cues which would enable the consumer to sync the MP3 or CD to the video.

5 hours ago, Stu said:

Yakety Sax; recording copyright owned by Sony, print copyright owned by Hal Leonard. Try naming a song in public domain next time :sigh:

Interesting to try to come up with the song that sounds most like "Yakety Sax" but is in the public domain. "Flight of the Bumblebee" maybe?

14 hours ago, Stu said:

But the suggestion was not just the video without audio, but for the video to also have purposely imbedded time cues which would enable the consumer to sync the MP3 or CD to the video.

Ah, sorry, lost the trail.  They should not do anything that would likely only be used to synchronize the video with the audio, like providing instructions on how to do it, or embedding time cues if they would have no other use.  

I just meant to address the mere act of providing video without sound.  As there are reasonable substantial non-infringing uses of such a video are possible, the fact alone that they could  be synchronized with audio may not be sufficient to render them guilty of contributory copyright infringement.  

In any case, I can still see where they would not want to take that risk.  Litigation can be very expensive, even if you win.

Edited by skevinp

15 minutes ago, N.E. Brigand said:

Interesting to try to come up with the song that sounds most like "Yakety Sax" but is in the public domain. "Flight of the Bumblebee" maybe?

I think that 'The Lollipop Guild' and 'If I Only Had a Brain' from the Wizard of Oz are now in the public domain.

6 hours ago, Stu said:

I take it that falls into the category of 'things said to ya at a frat party'!!

no just a movie screen in 1977

3 hours ago, Stu said:

I think that 'The Lollipop Guild' and 'If I Only Had a Brain' from The Wizard of Oz are now in the public domain.

I suppose it's possible, if the rights to those 1939 songs weren't renewed back in the 1960s, but otherwise, I believe the term is 95 years, so they'd be under copyright until 2034.

The term was extended after lobbying by Disney, among others, because they didn't want Mickey Mouse going into the public domain in 1998. Six more years!