Video edits 2017

44 minutes ago, Stu said:

It is code embedded in streamed audio/video that distorts or scambles attempted recordings of streamed content.

Smart! 

1 hour ago, Stu said:

It is code embedded in streamed audio/video that distorts or scambles attempted recordings of streamed content.

But as of today, this does not prevent all avenues, right? There are a lot of different ways to capture video streams. Hardware, software layers, etc. I am not aware of any existing video encryption that would prevent capture at every single layer. Would love to see some examples. 

15 hours ago, leed17 said:

Getting back to the sync rights issue - I have a question for those who might know.

Is there a most favored nation clause for sync rights?  I know for example, for arranging licenses for marching band when I arrange each season, if I arrange something that constitutes a medley of three songs, Tresona charges whatever the most expensive song rights are for ALL THREE songs...in other words, if I arrange a medley of songs that has Rainbow Connection, Somewhere Over the Rainbow, and Fly to Paradise, each song will cost the arranger whatever the most expensive tune is.  So even if Rainbow Connection and Somewhere Over the Rainbow by themselves would be 100 bucks each, because Fly to Paradise costs 500 bucks, all three then cost 500 bucks.  Someone can correct me if I am wrong in that, but I believe thats the case.  I encountered that a couple years ago when arranging and using Tresona for arranging licenses.

Does this occur for sync licenses as well?  If it does, I imagine that is what kills DCI financially.  They might be able to afford some of the tunes in the Blue Stars show this past season if they were stand alone tunes, but since they constitute a medley where they are mashed together, if the most favored nation clause takes effect each song would cost whatever the most expensive one is...if some of these Pop tunes that are used cost a lot, if they are used in a medley, it really kicks the price up for the other tunes used.  Thus the financial burden on DCI and the edits.  I still wish to know whether permission wasn't granted for all of the tunes edited out this season in various shows, or if it was just a financial decision by DCI that they could not afford those songs...

from what I have read, no

22 hours ago, leed17 said:

Getting back to the sync rights issue - I have a question for those who might know.

Is there a most favored nation clause for sync rights?  I know for example, for arranging licenses for marching band when I arrange each season, if I arrange something that constitutes a medley of three songs, Tresona charges whatever the most expensive song rights are for ALL THREE songs...in other words, if I arrange a medley of songs that has Rainbow Connection, Somewhere Over the Rainbow, and Fly to Paradise, each song will cost the arranger whatever the most expensive tune is.  So even if Rainbow Connection and Somewhere Over the Rainbow by themselves would be 100 bucks each, because Fly to Paradise costs 500 bucks, all three then cost 500 bucks.  Someone can correct me if I am wrong in that, but I believe thats the case.  I encountered that a couple years ago when arranging and using Tresona for arranging licenses.

Hmmm....that s odd. The band I work with got the rights for three tunes a a couple of  years ago, and we paid different amounts for each tune to Tresona.

1 hour ago, MikeD said:

Hmmm....that s odd. The band I work with got the rights for three tunes a a couple of  years ago, and we paid different amounts for each tune to Tresona.

Were the three tunes played on their own, or were they created into a medley?  If they were created into a medley, then Tresona charges using the Most Favored Nation clause.  If they were played as three separate pieces, then you would pay for each individually according to what Tresona charges.

2 hours ago, leed17 said:

Were the three tunes played on their own, or were they created into a medley?  If they were created into a medley, then Tresona charges using the Most Favored Nation clause.  If they were played as three separate pieces, then you would pay for each individually according to what Tresona charges.

Ah, that is the difference. We played them on their own. I wonder what the rationalization is for how they charge. Other than "because we can". .of course.

Any idea when these things are going to be shipped/released?  Struggling to figure out what the delay is in uploading the audio files to marchingmusicdownloads.com.

6 minutes ago, chaddyt said:

Any idea when these things are going to be shipped/released?  Struggling to figure out what the delay is in uploading the audio files to marchingmusicdownloads.com.

Just received my cd set today...

5 hours ago, leed17 said:

Just received my cd set today...

So they're just struggling with the digital downloads for some reason....