Video edits 2017

5 hours ago, Stu said:

When a company spends thousands, if not hundreds of thousands of dollars on creating security code, and a narcissist tech hack breaks the code, that is a felony which deserves jail time.

Maybe and maybe not.  Some of the protection schemes employed by companies are worst than piracy, as they compromise personal privacy.  Several companies have been sued over going too far the other way.  Sorry, you're not going to get any corporatists/fascist sympathy from me.  Companies could change their business models to align with consumer wishes and do away with most piracy if they actually listened to and implement what studies have shown works to reduce piracy.

Instead there are a bunch of old white dudes in suits who are hanging on to an aging business model that not longer works in the modern age.

....and this is coming from someone who may be getting closer to them than the younger generation.

The solution is to find something that works to reduce the problem, not a scorched earth policy that creates more problems than it solves.  Jail is not a magical thing that cures all ills. In fact, it only enriches those who are in the business of jail.

The goal is less criminals and jails, not old testament fire and brimstone...

11 hours ago, Stu said:

The 'reason' for piracy is that someone wants something that does not belong to them and want to get it without paying for it. That is the reason.

5 hours ago, jjeffeory said:

No,  there are many reasons that people pirate.  Here's a list I find that goes into considerably more depth than your black and white assessment:

10 Reasons why people do piracy

1. I don’t want to pay for it.

Production houses and software companies charging money for their creation is the most common reason why people do piracy, and it fuels the biggest torrent websites in the world. People just want the movies and tv shows for free. And they are quick enough to grab the opportunity facilitated by the torrent websites and other online platforms. This causes financial damage to the content creators.

2. I can’t afford it.

Not all the online pirates out there are doing it just because they don’t want to pay money for the content they want to consume. Some of them may not be in the position to purchase it.

A considerable example is of Adobe Photoshop, a name synonymous to photo editing, just like the iPod was for every music player in the past. Photoshop doesn’t come cheap, so, some people prefer obtaining it from elsewhere.

The defenders of copyright infringement would say, leave it if you can’t afford it. One has to agree with that, you can’t just download a premium software for free just because you can’t afford it. Would it be wise for a person to steal a Rolls Royce? He won’t be able to save that much money in his entire life.

People won’t do such thing in fear of going to jail. Even, piracy could lead people to prison, but the chances of getting a strict punishment are quite less.

A supportive argument can be made that some of the pirates might become Photoshop experts and eventually go on to purchase it in the future. But one can’t just take home an expensive guitar just because there is a possibility of him becoming a world-class guitarist in the future and fill his home with Les Pauls.

3. It’s not available in my region

This is a major rationale why many people head to torrent websites with an intention to pirate software or other things. Mostly in the case of movies and tv shows, various content creators restrict the availability in some regions, and the population remains deprived of it. Some people, who are willing to pay, just can’t accept it and make efforts to fight against the discrimination.

If a friend says, hey there is this awesome TV show I have been watching lately in which people are fighting for a throne, a person might have the craving to watch it. He or she would immediately turn on the television to check the showtime but comes to know that the show doesn’t air in her country. The person would search for it on the internet and may be turned down by the restricted region tag.

If the friend keeps telling how good the show is, the person might end up downloading the tv show illegally.

4. It gets delayed in my country

Some production studios and software companies delay the availability rather than blocking the access to it. Some people don’t have the patience to wait till the content actually arrives in their region. So, they end up pirating the TV show or movie on from torrent websites.

A workaround would be virtually teleporting to the region where the content is available. You might have heard about people using VPN connections to watch Netflix US. Sadly, Netflix started blocking users who were trying to fake their locations. But still, it’s far better than pirated their content.

5. I find it hard to purchase.

The motivation of such pirates lies in the distribution system of the content creators. For example, a particular tv show might be exclusive to cable networks, but a person is having a Netflix or Hulu plan. He might not go for a cable subscription just to watch a single show. He may end up finding it on torrent websites.

The ###### payment systems set up by online stores and streaming services like Apple iTunes and Netflix also adds to the misery of the people wanting to consume content legally. Most of these services require a credit card as a payment option and support for debit cards is quite limited.

6. I want to use it only once.

Say, a not-so-popular low budget movie gets released, and it doesn’t feature any big Hollywood A-listers. Some people might want to watch it but aren’t sure if it would be good or not. Some may want to watch it only once. So, they decide to download the pirated movie torrent for it.

Similarly, if someone wants to recover data from a storage device, they might download a premium data recovery software from pirate websites. So, one of the reasons why people do piracy is because they only want to use the content for a limited number of times.

7. The creators already have enough money

Some people justify their piracy hobbies by stating the fact that the production studio or the software company already has a huge bank balance and they won’t mind one person using their stuff for free.

Such people need to understand that the creators need the money to make more content in the future. If every person would tag themselves as that “one person using their stuff for free”, the companies would go bankrupt.

8. The creators have earned enough

For instance, a person is downloading a pirated movie years after its release. He would give the reason that the movie creators have earned enough from the movie. They have made the profits and now it’s fine to get for free.

Maybe they’ve managed to fill hundreds of millions or even billions of dollars in their pocket. It doesn’t give pirates the right to obtain their content illegally. However, the producers can offer it for free if they want. Although, in reality, they won’t do so because they’re greedy as well.

9. See, others are also doing it.

Some people have this go with the flow mentality. They know that they are pirating movies, tv shows, music albums, etc. and downloading them illegally but they justify their actions by saying that other people are also downloading illegal content.

10. I don’t know that I’m a pirate

Now, this is something that may sound like a WTF statement. How can a person not know that he or she is downloading the stuff illegally? But it’s true, individuals in technology and education deprived regions may not have enough knowledge about the copyright law and its infringement. They think that all the stuff available on the web is for free. They don’t know what’s legal and what’s illegal.

1. I don't want to pay for it.  (I want something that does not belong to me and want to get it without paying for it so I will steal it. That is the reason.)

2. I can't afford it (I want something that does not belong to me and want to steal it because I cannot pay for it. That is the reason.)

3. It's not available in my region. (I want something that does not belong to me and want to smuggle it in for my use. That is the reason.)

4. It gets delayed in my country (I want something that does not belong to me and want to get it before anyone else does by stealing it. That is the reason.)

5. I find it hard to purchase (I want something that does not belong to me and want to steal it because it is difficult to buy. That is the reason.)

6. I want to use it only once (I want something that does not belong to me and want to steal it to use use only once, so that excuses it. That is the reason.)

Need I go on?

Edited by Stu
  • Like 1

Intellectual property theft is just wrong-- period.  Just because it is intangible doesn't mean people should be able to take it whenever they want it.  

IP takes time, effort, skill, energy and will.  Just like producing goods.  

Fight to change the laws if you think they are wrong.

As for me, I'll cheer whenever someone gets busted stealing it.  

If the tables were turned the thieves would want payment. 

On a site whose participants understand the value of music and art, this shouldn't have to be said.  

Edited by Wadep66
add another thought
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

We interrupt this discussion on piracy and the ethics of piracy on the 2017 Audio/Video thread to bring you this message:

As of last night, the DVD and DVD Bundle say "Add to cart" instead of "Preorder" and have no mention of being a preorder and having a future ship date. Hopefully this means the DVDs will start shipping tomorrow!

Now back to your regularly scheduled DCP.

• Like 2

On 12/9/2017 at 11:07 AM, Ghost said:

Yes, but you'll have to wait for someone to respond first.

that doesn't stop him

:spitting:

• Haha 1

Got my Blu-Ray today and it is heartbreaking that the Wicked Game ballad got completely cut.  I haven't watched Blue Knights yet but that was another big cut.  The editing is excellent though, and if you'd never seen the show, you wouldn't know you missed anything.

2 hours ago, Fracker said:

Got my Blu-Ray today and it is heartbreaking that the Wicked Game ballad got completely cut.  I haven't watched Blue Knights yet but that was another big cut.  The editing is excellent though, and if you'd never seen the show, you wouldn't know you missed anything.

I bought the download from marchingmusicdownloads.com anyway for BAC...and also got the audio version....at least I can hear it on audio which I'll probably listen to more anyway...