Video edits 2017

48 minutes ago, skevinp said:

Because rich people getting everything they want whenever they want it for free is a justification comparable to feeding a starving child.  

Nah, I'm giving Stu a bit of a hard time, but I'm sure he could cite A Man for All Seasons right back at me, if he wished. And he'd have a point!

14 hours ago, MikeN said:

Based on past edits, they'll be removed entirely.  DCI's gotten pretty good at closely editing the jumps so they're not blatantly obvious.

I would rather have the complete video with sound muted where necessary.  Removing both just compounds the problem - now there are key visual moments deleted from the videos.

In cases where DCI only lacks permission to synchronize video to music, they should provide the complete video and complete music separately.

2 hours ago, cixelsyd said:

I would rather have the complete video with sound muted where necessary.  Removing both just compounds the problem - now there are key visual moments deleted from the videos.

In cases where DCI only lacks permission to synchronize video to music, they should provide the complete video and complete music separately.

You have a point in that the audio sync to the visual within the video is what has the copyright legal problem not the visual design itself.

Edited by Stu

15 hours ago, N.E. Brigand said:

The only man who watches Les Miserables and roots for Javert to catch Jean Valjean.

(I appreciate the Graduate reference, though, and Jeff's Star Wars nod as well.)

Javert had internal personal demons and was sadistic; he did not correctly represent the law. So no, I did not root for Javert.

15 hours ago, N.E. Brigand said:

Nah, I'm giving Stu a bit of a hard time, but I'm sure he could cite A Man for All Seasons right back at me, if he wished. And he'd have a point!

I was going to reference the thief on the cross who was informed that his sins were forgiven in heaven yet still had to rightly face the temporal punishment for breaking the laws of man.

2 hours ago, cixelsyd said:

I'm positive there would be legal challenges to distributing both the audio and video, even separately. 

13 minutes ago, StunnedMonkey said:

I'm positive there would be legal challenges to distributing both the audio and video, even separately. 

With current digital technology easily available to the public, a person can do their own audio Mp3 and video MP4 sync. However, DCI should not be held accountable for the actions of a third party if that is what you are getting at.

So if the CDs don’t have the edits, DCI should upload the videos without any sound (or include the full unedited show on the DVD w/out sound as a bonus) with a countdown watermarked at the start of the show videos to ‘press play on the CD now’ so we can do an at home synch…then do the same for all the corps outside the top 12, maybe even sell a soundless DVD for non-top 12 with a CD as a bundle

Edited by cowtown

1 hour ago, cowtown said:

So if the CDs don’t have the edits, DCI should upload the videos without any sound (or include the full unedited show on the DVD w/out sound as a bonus) with a countdown watermarked at the start of the show videos to ‘press play on the CD now’ so we can do an at home synch…then do the same for all the corps outside the top 12, maybe even sell a soundless DVD for non-top 12 with a CD as a bundle

DCI would then be guilty of providing seperate video and audio products (with purposeful time-sync capibilities) in order for their consumers to break copyright law. That would make DCI culpable in a court of law.