Best Musical Moments In DCI

On 11/25/2017 at 7:56 PM, jwillis35 said:

You might want to break down your research or collection by decade, style of song, and/or length. For instance:

Best Ballads of the 70s, 80s, 90s, 2000s (music only)

Best Openers.....................by decade (music only)

Best Closers......................by decade (music only)

Best 20 to 30 second clip (music only) -- example: Bluecoats "Boxer" hit in 2008

Best Fanfares (any decade)

I don't know. Just thinking out loud here. There are just too many great moments in DCI. It's difficult to break it down without some help.

I'm just weighing in to put my twist on Jon's fine idea, according to the way I remember drum corps.  Instead of decades, I would suggest "era's."

1972-76 One-valve G bugles.   Music dominated by Santa Clara, Scouts and Phantom.  The beginning of the Blue Devils dynasty.

1977 - 1982 - The end of the tic system, the beginning of the classic 2-valve G bugle horn lines.  The beginning of the Santa Clara and Blue Devil rivalry, music dominated by the power corps including the Scouts and Spirit of Atlanta.  This was also the time of great rivalries in the drum lines, Blue Devils, Spirit of Atlanta, Santa Clara, Phantom, Bridgemen.  Some fantastic percussion writing and drum solos.

1983 - 1989 The beginning of the build-up scoring system.  The first changing of the guard with Garfield Cadets changing the game.  Santa Clara had some fantastic music in this era.

1990-1999 - The End of the bugle era, including the 3-valve G bugles.  The great music of the Star of Indiana vs all the other top corps of the day, BD, Cadets, SVC, Phantom.

2000 - 2010 The beginning of the any-key horns.  The rise of the Cavaliers.

2011- present - The new champions arrive, Carolina Crown and Bluecoats.

Forgive me if I've forgotten a favorite corps, or have mis-characterized an era.  Feel free to refine my eras or add dominant corps I've forgotten.

Edited by wvu80