Sign in to follow this  
oldcadetsop

What would happen if a corps said, f it i am going old school

Recommended Posts

Every year around this time a bunch of us FMM get together for some good bbq and beverages. WE talk about the times we marched together etc. LOL Usually a fun topic comes up as it did today.

 

What if a corps,  say Cadets decided to say, screw it, we are gonna do 1987 App spring as originally done. Devils say, ya know what, we are gonna do 1982 One More Time show. Madison says 1988, bring it to us. How would that score today????? No flash, just old school drum corps. If perfected would these shows score with current corps.  It would be interesting if a corps went this direction and just said screw it, I know it is never gonna happen, was just a fun topic that came up.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I personally think it will not score as well as today's shows, at least with today's judges. Frankly, I think they are used to lots of amplification and Bb horns, not G bugles and raw power. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It would be like riding a horse.

Nice, energetic, and strong for its time. But today in a world of nano-seconds and interstellar communications, it would just be nostalgia. Like riding a horse through the park on a Sunday afternoon, an interesting entertainment, nothing more.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

They wouldn't score well.  Its all about layers and contrast and a show working on multiple levels now.

These shows were way too straight forward for today.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, cadet93 said:

They wouldn't score well.  Its all about layers and contrast and a show working on multiple levels now.

These shows were way too straight forward for today.

I am just playing devils advocate, I know it would not work, but it would be interesting to see a corps say screw it, we are bucking the system. the reaction would be interesting is all we brought up while having a few to many guiness lol

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, oldcadetsop said:

I am just playing devils advocate, I know it would not work, but it would be interesting to see a corps say screw it, we are bucking the system. the reaction would be interesting is all we brought up while having a few to many guiness lol

btw mr 93, we watched ur 93 show tonite, always blows my mind. have a few friends that marched that year. one of my fav Cadets shows.

 

FHNSAB

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, oldcadetsop said:

I am just playing devils advocate, I know it would not work, but it would be interesting to see a corps say screw it, we are bucking the system. the reaction would be interesting is all we brought up while having a few to many guiness lol

Jersey Surf!!!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, oldcadetsop said:

What if a corps,  say Cadets decided to say, screw it, we are gonna do 1987 App spring as originally done. Devils say, ya know what, we are gonna do 1982 One More Time show. Madison says 1988, bring it to us. How would that score today????? No flash, just old school drum corps. If perfected would these shows score with current corps.  It would be interesting if a corps went this direction and just said screw it, I know it is never gonna happen, was just a fun topic that came up.

Why stop at the 80s? Why not do a show as in the 1950s style, with, say, no pit and no contras?

  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

(I'm not entirely joking, by the way. Who says a corps has to always use every possible element? Lots of corps don't use cymbal lines. A few do. Why not play around similarly with the composition of the rest of the ensemble? A year without snare drums, or trumpets, or mallets? Experiment!)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.