What goes around comes around

8 hours ago, BRASSO said:

The Bridgemen changed their Cadets styled uniforms for the '76 season. If " old schoolers " in '76 did not like their attire in '76, and were 45 years old or older at the time, if they are now posting on facebook, that they like the '76 Bridgemen, then God Bless them Fran that they are still around and posting on social media as they're now 90 years old or older.... 

In this case, by "old schoolers" I mean the current ones... folks my age or older, 50-60-70-somethings...heck, from what I've read out there, maybe even some younger ones who marched DCI or DCA in the 1980s into the 90s... who pine for the "real drum corps" they grew up with, 1960s-70s-80s, perhaps early 90s.... not the people who were old-timers, old-schoolers back then.

Those old-schoolers from back then... your're right, a lot are gone, but not all.  I belong to a drum corps alumni group here in Maryland... and at 59, I'm one of the youngest members.  LOL.  Some of the folks, when they talk about "drum corps back in the day"... they mean the 1930s through the 50s!!!!  :tongue:  I enjoy their stories from that time, when seemingly every neighborhood in the Baltimore area had a corps... many of them small parade-style "keep the kids out of trouble" units, but some here and there made a splash on the regional/national scene. 

Edited by Fran Haring

I would imagine some the current marchers and newer, younger fans of today will be lamenting the changes ( the addition of woodwinds, pyrotechnics, live animals, etc or whatever ) that'll be approved and added into the " Drum & Bugle Corps"  competition shows in the future. Like previous generations, most of them will just drift away then with all that too. But some of them, like us,  that have been thru it all, will roll with the changes,  and stay the course till we're pushing up daisies in an earth plot somewhere.

Edited by BRASSO
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, BRASSO said:

I would imagine some the current marchers and newer, younger fans of today will be lamenting the changes ( the addition of woodwinds, pyrotechnics, live animals, etc or whatever ) that'll be approved and added into the " Drum & Bugle Corps"  competition shows in the future. Like previous generations, most of them will just drift way then with all that. But some of them, like us,  that have been thru it all, will roll with the changes,  and stay the course till we're pushing up daisies in an earth plot somewhere.

Good points.

Now... where was that bus stop again???  :tongue:

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, Fran Haring said:

Yeah... didn't see it that week, but I heard about the stuff like the fire alarm, etc.  Not really needed, I agree.

especially since the timing was off

• Haha 1

Aside from BWBB, which was completely epic and brought the house down every night, I find 2002 Cadets mostly forgettable. I'm not sure why you'd pick this one out as something the corps should rehash, especially since 2002 itself was a rehash of the superior 1995 show.

Compared to the preceding decade (93-02), 2002 might be the weakest show of the bunch.

Compared to the subsequent decade (02-11), 2002 fares a little better but that's mostly because Sarah Jones' breast cancer and the music of Jethro Tull were total duds as show concepts. But certainly 05, 07, 09, 11 were much stronger shows. In many ways 2002 foreshadows a lot of the Cadets' subsequent design problems with the performance overshadowed by a bunch of unappealing cheese (the pledge, the fire sirens, etc.)

4 hours ago, MikeD said:

But, I do know a guy named George who loves turkey

:1_grinning:

Don't try that today in a NJ Greek diner or you'll end up with stuffed dolmades or as a a layer of the moussakis, which no, isn't made from mouse.

4 hours ago, MikeD said:

I went to the Fife and Drum museum in CT back in the 80's, when I was doing a lot of MB judging in that state.

CT --- a hotbed of F&D corps. Insert "is".  There are four just in my town alone. Their numbers mimic DBC of the 60's & 70's.

2 hours ago, xandandl said:

True. Connecticut used to be a hot bed of " Drum Corps" in the state of Connecticut.  Still is. But its a bit different today.  There are more marchers playing and competing with fifes in " Drum Corps" from Connecticut, then marchers playing and competing with brass instruments in " Drum Corps " from Connecticut. Ironically, it is the oldest style of " Drum Corps " that has not lost its lustre at all in some parts of the Country. There are as many Fife and Drum Corps, and as many competitions, and as many marchers and fans of this brand of " Drum Corps " in many parts of the Country than the DCI/DCA version of " Drum Corps ". That said, I  still much prefer the more modern " Drum Corps " with  their  brass instruments in competitions  over that of the more traditional Drum Corps that are utilizing the woodwinds in their competitions/ parades.

Edited by BRASSO

8 hours ago, Fran Haring said:

LOL... that might be the first time anyone's described me as "feisty"... or at least the first in decades!!!! 

Gotta admit, though... my inner "Jersey Guy" does come out from time to time. :tongue:

My mom grew up on Silver Street... a block over from the famed Venice Tavern. It was St. Andrew's country, downtown, near the Bayonne Bridge.  That area was where most of my mom's family lived, including one relative who was a numbers runner for the neighborhood... story for another day. :innocent: Many of the family stories from back then... very Damon Runyon-esque.  LOL.

My godmother,  her sister and their families lived uptown... 52nd Street, I think it was.... St. Vinnie's home turf!!!

My first year out of college (graduated in 75) I could not find a full-time music teaching job, so I worked a few  part-time teaching gigs. One was being hired as a one-day-per-week orchestra director at the all-girl Holy Family Academy High School on Ave A in Bayonne.

2 hours ago, BRASSO said:

True. Connecticut used to be a hot bed of " Drum Corps" in the state of Connecticut.  Still is. But its a bit different today.  There are more marchers playing and competing with fifes in " Drum Corps" from Connecticut, then marchers playing and competing with brass instruments in " Drum Corps " from Connecticut. Ironically, it is the oldest style of " Drum Corps " that has not lost its lustre at all in some parts of the Country. There are as many Fife and Drum Corps, and as many competitions, and as many marchers and fans of this brand of " Drum Corps " in many parts of the Country than the DCI/DCA version of " Drum Corps ". That said, I  still much prefer the more modern " Drum Corps " with  their  brass instruments in competitions  over that of the more traditional Drum Corps that are utilizing the woodwinds in their competitions/ parades.

From what I recall, there are at least a couple members of the Maryland Drum Corps Hall of Fame who were involved with fife and drum corps, and not drum and bugle corps, their entire marching careers. And at least one group... Monumental City... is still alive and well in the Baltimore area.

• Like 1