Corps Pond -ering

On 12/6/2017 at 9:11 AM, elphaba01 said:

"First Contras & Mellophones":

First contras were the Garfield Cadets and St Raphael's Buccaneers in 1962.  Garfield was "First" with their debut at the Drum Corps News standstill contest at the Masque theatre in Newark NJ in the winter of 1962.  St Raphael's was a week or so behind with their "Debut" at the DCN show in Boston at the Boston Garden.

The USAF "DC" corps from Bolling AFB and the Hawthorne Caballeros both fielded the Gentzen contras by mid season.

The first melophones MAY have been the Springfield Marksmen, Troy Interstatesmen and the St Geotge Olympians.  I saw the horn being used by all three units at the 1964 World Open Prelims in Bridgeport CT.

Elphaba   :flower:

The first time I recall hearing Mellophones was at the 1964 VFW National prelims. A corps named Tri-Community _____ had them. At first I thought that they were French Horns on steroids. Prior to that, I was very familiar with the outstanding mellophone section of the Stan Kenton orchestra.

On 12/6/2017 at 7:13 AM, KeithHall said:

First to play Contras? Mellophones?

First theme show? Was it Garfield Cadets? Madison Scouts? Cavaliers?

The best 1st year corps ever....Star of Indiana?

Who would be your first call as music arranger? Brass boss? Percussion boss? Visual Boss? Guard Boss? Corps Director?

(if  you could pick the ALL STAR staff)

"First "Theme" Show":

None of the above.  Departing from junior corps and "DCI" for a moment the first "Theme" show that I can remember came from the old Archer-Epler Musketeers senior corps back in the mid 1950's with their Camelot production.  

They also did a "King and I" show, with the late Vince Degan shaved bald and dressed as the "King" stomping around barefooted on the field.

Great corps, great memories......:guinesssmilie:

Elphaba:flower:

Edited by elphaba01

On 12/7/2017 at 4:04 PM, old vanguard said:

The first time I recall hearing Mellophones was at the 1964 VFW National prelims. A corps named Tri-Community _____ had them. At first I thought that they were French Horns on steroids. Prior to that, I was very familiar with the outstanding mellophone section of the Stan Kenton orchestra.

Of course those Stan Kenton mellophones had  not even the spelling in common with the bugle mellophones, which, in those days, were but a big soprano bugle pitched in G.  The bugle FHs were also in G, but an octave lower than the mellophone and, to my ears, sounded much better, albeit, harder to play than the mellophones.  

Now, of course, mellophones are pitched in F and can be considered a "real" instrument, bridging nicely as an alto between the soprano trumpets and the 1st baritones.

On 12/1/2017 at 12:07 PM, old vanguard said:

Des Plaines Vanguard used them in 1968.

Possibly the Royal Airs

Amazing - almost all of Hy's corps adopted them in 68 - he helped me tremendously in charting out PAL's parts that year - especially Hall of the Mountain King - wonderful arrangement

John Thirion arranged for and instructed the Des Plaines Vanguard drum line in 1968 and 1969. He was an acoustic engineer by training. John also spent a lot of time working with the engineers at Ludwig Drum. He and Hy Dreitzer collaborated numerous times trying to work the tympanis and other tuned drums into his arrangements.

Interesting times for the Des Plaines Vanguard members and staff.

On 12/6/2017 at 6:13 AM, KeithHall said:

First to play Contras? Mellophones?

First theme show? Was it Garfield Cadets? Madison Scouts? Cavaliers?

The best 1st year corps ever....Star of Indiana?

Who would be your first call as music arranger? Brass boss? Percussion boss? Visual Boss? Guard Boss? Corps Director?

(if  you could pick the ALL STAR staff)

The best corps manager I ever had the pleasure of working with was Jim Unrath, of the Des Plaines Vanguard. A great organizer, cheerleader, facilitator, musician and all around exceptionally intelligent guy. Great sense of humor too.