DCI Design Staff's Other Work

I always like to see what design team members, program coordinators, drill writers, etc. put together outside their DCI productions. From BOA, winter guards, indoor drumline, to other artistic endeavors. In addition to their previous work in drum corps, it gives me a little more of what to expect in the summer while waiting on the corp's show announcement. 

A well known example is Michael Shapiro at Tarpon Spring's marching band and winterguard and also designing for the Blue Stars. His style is easily identifiable with both groups and has put together some really enjoyable programs over the years.

Where else is everyone coming from and what groups are they working with currently or previously? I always thought it was interesting to follow a drill designer's work from BOA to DCI or from one corps to another. I know a lot of DCI design teams come from a mixture of areas from around the country. Honestly, I'm too lazy to look up staff bio's. What characterizes their work and makes it unique? 

Personal question coming from the east coast, where do the people from Texas BOA powerhouse bands go in the summer?

Edited by palmettomello
  • Thanks 1

36 minutes ago, palmettomello said:

I always like to see what design team members, program coordinators, drill writers, etc. put together outside their DCI productions. From BOA, winter guards, indoor drumline, to other artistic endeavors. In addition to their previous work in drum corps, it gives me a little more of what to expect in the summer while waiting on the corp's show announcement. 

A well known example is Michael Shapiro at Tarpon Spring's marching band and winterguard and also designing for the Blue Stars. His style is easily identifiable with both groups and has put together some really enjoyable programs over the years.

Where else is everyone coming from and what groups are they working with currently or previously? I always thought it was interesting to follow a drill designer's work from BOA to DCI or from one corps to another. I know a lot of DCI design teams come from a mixture of areas from around the country. Honestly, I'm too lazy to look up staff bio's. What characterize's their work and makes it unique? 

Personal question coming from the east coast, where do the people from Texas BOA powerhouse bands go in the summer?

Off the top of my head, Ryan George (arranger for Leander) is at Boston, and Will Pitts (PR) arranges for Hebron (among others).

My Texas powerhouse rankings are about a decade out of date, but Van Matthews (LD Bell) is now with Madison.

@DrumManTx can probably fill more of these in--he's more tapped in to the current scene than I am.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, ftwdrummer said:

Off the top of my head, Ryan George (arranger for Leander) is at Boston, and Will Pitts (PR) arranges for Hebron (among others).

My Texas powerhouse rankings are about a decade out of date, but Van Matthews (LD Bell) is now with Madison.

@DrumManTx can probably fill more of these in--he's more tapped in to the current scene than I am.

I was in San Antonio this year so it's fresh on my mind too.  :)  Will update as I remember/acquire more information.  

Off the top of my head:

- Claudia Taylor Johnson (1st at BOA San Antonio)

• Don't think Carol Britton Chambers has ever really poked her head into DCI despite being such an incredibly successful and prevalent arranger in the BOA world.  
  • Daryl Pemberton wrote drill for Cadets in 2016 but they changed to Bobby Jones for 2017.  

- Hebron (2nd at BOA San Antonio)

• Hebron actually switched away from Will Pitts in 2016 to someone else, trying to remember who.  Think it might be Michael Martin.  
  • Kevin Nix does their drill, don't think he's doing anything in DCI at the moment.  

- Vandegrift (3rd at BOA San Antonio)

• JD Shaw and Andrew Markworth split up the music of course with SCV and Crossmen.
  • Jeff Sacktig writes the drill.  

- Flower Mound (6th at BOA San Antonio, 5th at Grand Nationals)

• Wayne Downey arranges here, check out 2015 and 2016 especially.  Amazing stuff.  2017 was great too just not quite there performance wise.  
  • Mitch Rogers does the drill design, with Oregon Crusaders and Cavaliers in the recent past.  

- Marcus (7th at BOA San Antonio, 4th at BOA Grand Nationals)

• Hmm.  Not 100% sure here but I think Michael Klesch does the arranging and drill is in house?  More sure of the former than the latter.  

- Cedar Park (8th at BOA San Antonio)

• I am pretty sure that Michael Klesch or JD Shaw does the music...
  • ...and Jamey Thompson does the visual design (COME BACK TO DCI PLEASE).  

- The Woodlands (11th at BOA San Antonio, 7th at BOA Grand Nationals)

• Wayne Downey arranges I believe, On the Waterfront in 2016 was amazing.  
  • Vanderkolff does the visual design, they're always one of the more aggressive and top tier in terms of visual content and demand in Texas.  

- Leander/Round Rock (14th/18th at BOA San Antonio)

• Same(ish?) teams.  Ryan George for sure on both, Colin McNutt for sure on the Leander side.  
  • Jeremy Hunt does the drill design, he was with PR in 2015 and then was gone after that.  
Edited by DrumManTx
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

6 minutes ago, DrumManTx said:
  • Don't think Carol Britton Chambers has ever really poked her head into DCI despite being such an incredibly successful and prevalent arranger in the BOA world.  

I think she may have been in on the Guidry team at XMen when they first moved to Texas (and became that weird XMen/Reagan hybrid for three years that we all try not to speak of).

• Sad 1

Just now, ftwdrummer said:

My thoughts exactly. Could be a great fit at a not-Crossmen corps (seriously, she's done some great work in San Antonio), but Crossmen weren't a great fit for that design team.

Oh absolutely.  That show that Johnson did this fall and the 2014 one are pretty remarkable, 2017 live was about the most fun and energergized I've felt by a music program.  Just all about chemistry and where they'd fit.  

• Like 2

Rosie Queen heads Carmel High School's guard program, winning numerous WGI Scholastic World titles and, IMO, fields the best colorguard in BOA. She has not been teaching in DCI for a few years last I heard, but I know in the past she was Caption Head at Crown and involved at Pride of Cincinnati for quite sometime. I recently saw that she was announced as a "Guard Advisor" for Bluecoats. This is a great pick up for them. 

Does Jeff Sacktig and Leon May work with any other groups? 

Is Jay Bocook arranging for anyone in DCI since departing with The Cadets? I know he still writes for a number of high schools. 

Sorry again, too lazy to search through corps pages, their personal websites, archived news updates, etc. 

55 minutes ago, palmettomello said:

Rosie Queen heads Carmel High School's guard program, winning numerous WGI Scholastic World titles and, IMO, fields the best colorguard in BOA. She has not been teaching in DCI for a few years last I heard, but I know in the past she was Caption Head at Crown and involved at Pride of Cincinnati for quite sometime. I recently saw that she was announced as a "Guard Advisor" for Bluecoats. This is a great pick up for them. 

Does Jeff Sacktig and Leon May work with any other groups? 

Is Jay Bocook arranging for anyone in DCI since departing with The Cadets? I know he still writes for a number of high schools. 

Sorry again, too lazy to search through corps pages, their personal websites, archived news updates, etc. 

Sacktig and May both work with other groups, as listed above.

Bocook has been brass arranger at BK since ~2012.