DCI Design Staff's Other Work

55 minutes ago, palmettomello said:

Is Jay Bocook arranging for anyone in DCI since departing with The Cadets? I know he still writes for a number of high schools.

He's arranged for the Blue Knights since 2012 or so, I forget when but it wasn't too long ago.

3 hours ago, palmettomello said:

I always like to see what design team members, program coordinators, drill writers, etc. put together outside their DCI productions. From BOA, winter guards, indoor drumline, to other artistic endeavors. In addition to their previous work in drum corps, it gives me a little more of what to expect in the summer while waiting on the corp's show announcement. 

A well known example is Michael Shapiro at Tarpon Spring's marching band and winterguard and also designing for the Blue Stars. His style is easily identifiable with both groups and has put together some really enjoyable programs over the years.

Where else is everyone coming from and what groups are they working with currently or previously? I always thought it was interesting to follow a drill designer's work from BOA to DCI or from one corps to another. I know a lot of DCI design teams come from a mixture of areas from around the country. Honestly, I'm too lazy to look up staff bio's. What characterizes their work and makes it unique? 

Personal question coming from the east coast, where do the people from Texas BOA powerhouse bands go in the summer?

The list is endless,from top designers and techs to even those with only a few years experience.We are for sure a very inbred activity.

Edited by GUARDLING

This thread is awesome! I am all for these people being able to use their craft year round. Funny thing for me is that I do not always enjoy some of these people's DCI work, but then I see what shows they were involved with at the BOA level, I really love that stuff.  So it goes to show you that ALL of these names are talented and offer great stuff for we fans.

On 12/2/2017 at 4:02 PM, GUARDLING said:

The list is endless,from top designers and techs to even those with only a few years experience.We are for sure a very inbred activity.

True. All the top placing Bands of America ( BOA ) and Winter Guard International ( WGI ) units are chock full of the same people working as Judges,  Artistic Directors, Program Coordinators, Music Arrangers, Visual Designers, Guard Choreographers, Techs, etc in DCI Drum Corps as well. Likewise, all the top placing DCI Corps have essentially the same people working wonders in these similar capacities in the BOA and WGI  circuits as well. As you said, it is very much an inbred activity.

Edited by BRASSO
  • Like 2

Michael Raiford, who's done a lot of different work for various corps and bands going back to Suncoast Sound in the 1980s, I believe (and his costume work, at least, was featured in one of this year's BOA finalists), for 2018 is the Scenic Designer at the Bluecoats, but he's also been a designer for numerous professional theatrical productions.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/michaelraiford/sets

Tulsa Union: Wayne Downey arranges the winds, Jon Vanderkolff writes the drill, and Michael Raiford designs the unis and other color aspects. I think they use a couple DCI names for guard/body design, but I can't remember who.

Owasso: Richard Hinshaw writes the drill and Michael Rosales designs the guard.

Broken Arrow: Leon May writes the drill, and I assume Don Hill still arranges the winds (as he judged the BA invitational contest this year).