Star of Indiana 1993 vs Santa Clara Vanguard 1989 - You pick the winner!

We are having some off season fun with a little fan-favorite bracket tournament! We are in the later rounds and have started creating informative videos to help make informed choices! Hope you all enjoy!

Where to vote: https://www.facebook.com/LotHype/posts/1935355386477831

Full Bracket: http://www.lothype.com/dci-fan-favorite-ultimate-off-season-show-bloodbath-delux/

Previous Match-up Video (Phantom Regiment 2008 vs The Cavaliers 2010): (https://www.facebook.com/LotHype/videos/1926326784047358/)

Edited by LordLulz

As great as Star 93 was, SCV 1989 was a bit cleaner. If we went by today's sheets, Star would win brass (not by a ton), maybe percussion, but their visual performance on Finals night was sloppy (as was Cadets). It rained that night in 1993 and the really hard drills suffered. By today's sheets I think SCV would win GE, Visual and be close in other areas. 

• Like 2

I wish I would have known about this sooner. I put in my vote for SCV. Just out of curiosity- how did you establish your seeding? It looks like cavies 06 was seeded terribly low and in made the final 8. I love stats and research so this poll is really cool to me.

Also put in my vote for Cavies 10 vs Phantom 08

Edited by ThePlanets

2 hours ago, jwillis35 said:

As great as Star 93 was, SCV 1989 was a bit cleaner. If we went by today's sheets, Star would win brass (not by a ton), maybe percussion, but their visual performance on Finals night was sloppy (as was Cadets). It rained that night in 1993 and the really hard drills suffered. By today's sheets I think SCV would win GE, Visual and be close in other areas. 

Phantom had really hard drill and didn't seem to suffer that night........

Edited by Invictus

16 hours ago, Invictus said:

Phantom had really hard drill and didn't seem to suffer that night........

No one had a drill even remotely as demanding as Star and Cadets in '93.

17 hours ago, queenanne_1536 said:

No one had a drill even remotely as demanding as Star and Cadets in '93.

I agree with this. Sadly Star and Cadets didn't give their best performances on Finals night but were still amazing.  However, if you were to judge the top 3 from 1993 on today's sheets I think Phantom Regiment would win.  The demand factor (which favored Star and Cadets) would be nullified by the clean factor with Phantom. Star's innovative approach certainly have it tops in GE Visual, but Regiment would win GE Music.  It would still be close, but I think Regiment by today's standards would win.  Back in the 90s, however, we were in the era of "whiplash" drill, or what is sometime referred to as "run n gun." The demand factor played a bigger role vs staging and cleanliness. 

On 12/2/2017 at 8:47 PM, ThePlanets said:

I wish I would have known about this sooner. I put in my vote for SCV. Just out of curiosity- how did you establish your seeding? It looks like cavies 06 was seeded terribly low and in made the final 8. I love stats and research so this poll is really cool to me.

Also put in my vote for Cavies 10 vs Phantom 08

Unfortunately it was choosen by fan voting, and yes, it is completely silly some of the placements (IMHO, haha) 

We had a quick facebook post where people commented then liked the comments of their favorite shows. Apparently a LOT of the younger generation saw that post. Honestly, we had no idea it would take off like it did so we didn't have a revote. We are planning on doing it annually during the off season and have a lot of plans on how to improve it though!

We have two more videos coming for round 3, round 4 is pictures again to give us time to prepare for the live finale that should air right around the christmas holiday:)

For the live finale we are doing synopisis's of all the top 16 plus some honarable mentions! Hope you guys like it! And sorry again for the weird seeding this year!

Edited by LordLulz
  • Like 1

Let's see. Had Star '93 marched two overaged members all season, would they have been forgiven and forever rationalized, unlike the Royer-less Muchachos and Bridgemen? Would they have won GE Visual on Finals night with two glaring holes and about 60% of last year's drill? Had Star's hornline been as bloated, overblown and obviously out of tune but yet still rated 0.1 behind Phantom's amazing display of sensitivity and technical perfection?

Wait...what was the question?

• Haha 1

SCV '89 was a re-tread of an earlier show, and broke no new ground. Star '93 provided a completely new way of thinking about program design.

No disrespect to those who marched '89 Vanguard, but why is this question even a thing?

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Tad_MMA said:

Let's see. Had Star '93 marched two overaged members all season, would they have been forgiven and forever rationalized, unlike the Royer-less Muchachos and Bridgemen? Would they have won GE Visual on Finals night with two glaring holes and about 60% of last year's drill? Had Star's hornline been as bloated, overblown and obviously out of tune but yet still rated 0.1 behind Phantom's amazing display of sensitivity and technical perfection?

Wait...what was the question?

7e4.jpg

• Like 1