Genesis 2018

Wow! Family performance last night was awesome! The music book for this show is very entertaining. I think/hope DCI will really dig it!!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Rileydog said:

Wow! Family performance last night was awesome! The music book for this show is very entertaining. I think/hope DCI will really dig it!!

This will be a foot tapper for sure!  

• 2 weeks later...
5 minutes ago, Semper Moe said:

The announced drill designer posted on Facebook that he had nothing to do with the show and they didn't use his work.

There  is no visual designer listed on their website.

Not good.

Is the rest of the staff on the website correct? 

• 2 weeks later...

Ok, help me out, Genesis fans & parents, of which I know there are a good number on these forums. After watching the show a few times, I can't help but wonder...has the visual staff or design team in general purposefully gone in a different, more scaled-back direction? I just can't get used to what a stark change this show is for the corps, mostly meaning the visual package. Am I missing more that's supposed to be there? I've loved Genesis since Phantom Revisited, and this show just seems so out of character for the corps --- oddly toned down & bare from a corps that has brought a ton of unique flavor to the 20 - 30 placement range.

I'd really, truly love to know if I'm missing anything, and I'm asking in all earnestness. Is the retrovertigo theme supposed to be a concrete thing, or just something abstract? There's no props, tarps, or even drill movements to visually suggest what they're trying to portray...and don't get me wrong, I'm FINE with just good ol' music & marching, as long as each are interesting, of which this mid-tempo drill design isn’t particularly. Are there visual cues that I'm missing? I notice the swirling pattern towards the end of the opener --- that implies a bit of vertigo-y somethingness, and I can get on board with that. Other than that, I'm truly struggling to pin down any moment that makes this show visually pop. And that's super unlike the Genesis I've come to know and love --- I'm used to this corps giving the audience members layered & exhilarating shows!! Any insight on what they’re getting at with this show and/or any reason for the shift in visual design?

Edited by Jake W.

Well, I’m just a parent (of two performers), occasional food truck volunteeer and food truck repair man, so my opinions mean little on the creative side of things.  And I don’t think you’ll find the Genesis creative staff looking to DCP or the food truck for feedback on the art form - that comes to them from the performers and the judges.

But with that said, I agree with much of what you say.  Genesis is still a pretty young organization, and this is really their first WC year (they were announced as a WC corps last year after the corps was contracted and the show designed).  A lot of growth has occurred in the past year - new membership and staff from all over the country, New sponsors, new equipment, etc.  and while I know the staff wants the corps to be competitive, I think they are more focused creating a sustainable program and focusing on quality of experience for the youth, for which I am thankful.

I know they had a falling out with their drill designer, who apparently was not forthright about his abilities.  So they have a visual group traveling with them Reade signing parts of the show (new closing sequence last week).  And there are some rewrites coming for parts of the showing coming in the next week or so (more Metallica I think).  But these are typical mid-tour adjustments based on feedback from the performers and judges.

Great observations though.  I look forward to seeing how their creative product develops.  But more than anything else, I look forward to seeing my young people grow in this activity.  They are making life-long relationships and memories.  I am only *slightly* jealous of them!

• Like 5

I think the Genesis staff took a risk (read attempt/chance) to push forward with some new relationships and some of those relationships did not pan out. What our students are learning is change is tough, it takes time to build, and sometimes you have to go back a few steps to move forward a mile. If people keep cheering and responding like they have the 5 shows I watched in person the last 2 weeks, Genesis is going to be great!!

• Like 1