Genesis 2018

WaxDCIFan & RileyDog, thank you both so much for the thorough responses!! I try to pay as much attention to the bottom few World Class corps & all Open Class corps as I do the top 12, and I really have loved everything Genesis has done the last four years, and above all, their solid growth trajectory, which is why I was a little concerned when I saw this year’s show. It sounds like the important people who have been driving the organization forward are still doing so, and that sustainability is the goal —- which is really all I care about for a brand new WC corps. Sounds like they’re taking all the important steps to have a great season despite a misfire with some crucial staff members early on, and I’ll applaud any organization for moving past those issues quickly & succinctly, as it seems they are. I do mean it when I say I look forward to the future development of Genesis in WC!

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
5 hours ago, Jesus Rodriguez said:

Judges at St. Louis didn’t think that smh

posted from the DrumScorps app

It seems every year Genesis gets some kind of score correction. St. Louis show involved a whole new middle section to the show. Let’s see what happens after San Antonio. 

• Like 1

and now the brass arranger .....

I have requested that my name be removed from the Genesis Website.

While I respect the efforts of the members, and was so happy to have met and worked with so many of them, much of the current production no longer reflects the creative process I was involved in during the winter.  That is neither praise nor condemnation.  

I merely prefer not to take credit for something that isn't mine.

I wish all the members of Genesis a safe and successful remainder of the season!  You are truly wonderful people and musicians - make the most of your remaining weeks!  

Sincerely, 

Chuck Naffier

• 3 weeks later...
5 minutes ago, BostonLUck said:

That was his tongue-in-cheek way of saying had Genesis stayed in the arena of competition they're more suited for (Open Class), that they would have finished in 4th place according to the World Class SemiFinals' results.

Frankly, I don't disagree here. I believe the move to WC was premature, and possibly damaging to the organization; whereas, had they remained in OC they would have had the opportunity to mature a bit more, creating an even more stable WC-ready program. 

But hindsight is 20/20, right? 

The move was definitely the right thing for the corps.  It gave them access to many things that were more difficult when they were OC.  They are already seeing changes in membership, sponsors, etc.  more resources next year when they start getting more gate fees, etc.

Genesis took some gambles on staffing this year and learned some lessons.  Super proud of them for making the needed adjustments and finishing strong.  They are building a sustainable program, which will be pay off with more competitive success as the years tick by.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, BostonLUck said:

That was his tongue-in-cheek way of saying had Genesis stayed in the arena of competition they're more suited for (Open Class), that they would have finished in 4th place according to the World Class SemiFinals' results.

Frankly, I don't disagree here. I believe the move to WC was premature, and possibly damaging to the organization; whereas, had they remained in OC they would have had the opportunity to mature a bit more, creating an even more stable WC-ready program. 

But hindsight is 20/20, right? 

Couldn’t disagree more. They have more than proved their capability to perform and compete on the WC stage. They tried an old school show (which many on this site advocate) and made semifinals with it. 

With growth comes struggle...but to diss them for the attempt is short sighted at best or just plain classless at worst. 

44 minutes ago, BostonLUck said:

Well, well... apparently I hit a nerve. So, let's see. You both seem to think the move to WC was a great idea. Let's list reasons why it may not have been:

1)  Corporate Sponsors & Student Membership:  Nobody is beating down the door to be in and/or sponsor the 24th place WORLD class corps. Sure. March where you can march, but the competitive edge to get that contract isn't happening here.

2) Genesis is STILL getting beat by the same ol' OC crowd that beat them when they were back in OC.

3) Make a huge leap into an all-new arena, without having ever conquered your last arena is short sighted at best or just plain... questionable.

4) 23rd in 2017, 24th in 2018 is not forward progress. Blaming the staff is an easy excuse, but what about last year? Was that 23rd finish a staff issue too?

Now, these are all just facts. You say growth comes with struggle? Sure it does. But to leap before you look is foolish, it's not brave. I was trying to be constructive, but being ganged up on by two "Fenix"s just made me critical. So here we are.

I very much want to see Genesis succeed, but as I've stated before, I think seasoning further in the OC world would have been wise. Again though -- hindsight.

1) Actually, the money difference between OC and WC is significant. There are more financial resources  available to WC. Student auditions are significantly up since joining WC. 

2) They are still getting beat by the same old crowd but paid more money. Why wouldn't you do that?

3) Did every WC win a lower division to before going to WC? I realize the structure has changed significantly over the decades but it is not questionable to move up when you can financially and structurally do so.

4) As far as forward progress, their brass section continues to trend higher. Other areas are trending higher. I think the lower placement speaks to the difficulty of competing in DCI. I'm sure you will disagree.

Not sure why you felt your were ganged up on, but I read nothing constructive in your comments. Therefore I responded. Staying in OC another year would have done nothing but rob a year of financial and structural growth that would be valuable in the future.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, BostonLUck said:

Well, well... apparently I hit a nerve. So, let's see. You both seem to think the move to WC was a great idea. Let's list reasons why it may not have been:

1)  Corporate Sponsors & Student Membership:  Nobody is beating down the door to be in and/or sponsor the 24th place WORLD class corps. Sure. March where you can march, but the competitive edge to get that contract isn't happening here.

And how would staying in open class help with that?

2) Genesis is STILL getting beat by the same ol' OC crowd that beat them when they were back in OC.

And how would staying in open class help with that?

3) Make a huge leap into an all-new arena, without having ever conquered your last arena is short sighted at best or just plain... questionable.

And how would staying in open - okay, you should get the idea by now.

By your logic, Blue Stars should not have advanced, having never won division II.  However, two thumbs up for Pioneer making the move.

4) 23rd in 2017, 24th in 2018 is not forward progress. Blaming the staff is an easy excuse, but what about last year? Was that 23rd finish a staff issue too?

Should every corps who slips competitively drop to open class?  Good luck persuading BD, Crown, PR, etc. about that.

• Like 1