All time shows: Oregon Crusaders

We are staying on the West Coast this week but going north of California and celebrating one of the newer corps to world class competition the Oregon Crusaders.

What are your top 1-5 all time OC shows?

(Optional) What are your 1-3 least favorites from them?

You can go into as much or little detail as you like but please please try to keep things positive.

For a quick recap in case you missed it and/or want to add your contributions:

Week 1- Cavies- 2006 the Machine is the favorite and 2012 15 min of fame is the least favorite.

Week 2- Jersey Surf- 2012 Bridgemania favorite

Week 3- Blue Knights-1994 Trittico for bras band favorite. least  2001Blue Toons

Week 4- Spirit of Atlanta- 1980 favorite

Week 5- Carolina Crown- Favorite: 2015 Inferno; Least Favorite: 2017 ...It is

Week 6- The Mandarins- 2017 inside the ink for favorite.

Week 7- Boston Crusaders- 2000 RED is the favorite.

Week 8- Pioneer- 1996 Celtic Twilight is the favorite.

Week 9- Santa Clara Vanguard- 1999 Inventions for a New Millennium favorite. 1995 Not the Nutcracker least favorite.

My favorites:

1. 2016- Hunted- I didn't get to see this one live but I saw more than a few nonprofessional recordings of it.  After reading the synopsis this was actually the show I found most interesting in 2016. Love the concept and love Knights of Cydonia my Muse.

2. 2012- Dreaming in color. It takes a lot to beat the big dogs in open class and this show did it. Great trumpet solo and a solid show. Loved watching it at finals. 

3. 2017- EnCompass- the design was an every drum corps show design and was a little dry BUT the hornline had beautiful,lush sound and, IMO, was one of the best that didn't make finals this past year. Their sound has come a long way.

Going to opt out of least favorites.

Edited by ThePlanets

My 3 favorites are 2012 (Dreaming in Color), 2014 (Nevermore), and 2017 (EnCompass).

I have yet to see an Oregon Crusaders show that I really don't like. I will say, though, that there were two years in which they made questionable decisions with regards to uniforms: 2013 ("My Heart, My Battle, My Soul") and 2016 ("Hunted"). But that's as close as they've gotten to having a truly bad show, which is a good thing.

8 hours ago, ThePlanets said:

We are staying on the West Coast this week but going north of California and celebrating one of the newer corps to world class competition the Oregon Crusaders.

What are your top 1-5 all time OC shows?

(Optional) What are your 1-3 least favorites from them?

You can go into as much or little detail as you like but please please try to keep things positive.

For a quick recap in case you missed it and/or want to add your contributions:

Week 1- Cavies- 2006 the Machine is the favorite and 2012 15 min of fame is the least favorite.

Week 2- Jersey Surf- 2012 Bridgemania favorite

Week 3- Blue Knights-1994 Trittico for bras band favorite. least  2001Blue Toons

Week 4- Spirit of Atlanta- 1980 favorite

Week 5- Carolina Crown- Favorite: 2015 Inferno; Least Favorite: 2017 ...It is

Week 6- The Mandarins- 2017 inside the ink for favorite.

Week 7- Boston Crusaders- 2000 RED is the favorite.

Week 8- Pioneer- 1996 Celtic Twilight is the favorite.

Week 9- Santa Clara Vanguard- 1999 Inventions for a New Millennium favorite. 1995 Not the Nutcracker least favorite.

I'm pondering if one can surmise some statements being made by the preference of these shows. At the end of all corps considered, will we all be able to see a trend and will such preferences be the same as what judges or current designers would favor?  I look to see how all this develops. Thanks for your effort, O Planets. You're in a galaxy all your own. :-)

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Cadevilina Crown said:

My 3 favorites are 2012 (Dreaming in Color), 2014 (Nevermore), and 2017 (EnCompass).

I have yet to see an Oregon Crusaders show that I really don't like. I will say, though, that there were two years in which they made questionable decisions with regards to uniforms: 2013 ("My Heart, My Battle, My Soul") and 2016 ("Hunted"). But that's as close as they've gotten to having a truly bad show, which is a good thing.

and using sousaphones if only as props, he, he.

2014 " Nevermore "..   I know that the Bluecoats get a lot of positive ink for their rendition of " Hymn of Acxiom ", ( and deservedly so in my opinion) but the Oregon Crusaders rendition of " Hymn of Acxiom " here in 2014 in their show is equally on par with theirs in its written arrangement for Drum Corps. )

2013... " " My Heart, My Battle. My Soul ".... its gotten no votes so far, but I liked it.

(least favorite.... 2017 " EnCompass ".. I wanted to like it, but found it....... challenging to do so, shall we say)

Edited by BRASSO

Looks like 2014 Nevermore gets the honor of favorite OC show!

I will be back tomorrow with a corps that has made the top 12    27 times but has only made the top 6    2 times.

On 12/6/2017 at 4:36 PM, xandandl said:

I'm pondering if one can surmise some statements being made by the preference of these shows. At the end of all corps considered, will we all be able to see a trend and will such preferences be the same as what judges or current designers would favor? 

Thanks! So far the only top scoring performance that has won on these is the Mandarins and I didn't get much input in that thread.

As for the top 12 corps:

Cavaliers 02 didn't make the top 5

BK 99 and 00 one got 3rd and the other didn't make the top 5

Crown 13 didn't make the top 5

Boston 2017 2nd place

SCV 1989 got 3rd