Decorum Between Groups at a show...

Show Decorum  

39 members have voted

1. 1. In between groups' performances at a drum corps show, which do you prefer from those around you?

• That they leave me and my group (if applicable) alone. Don't talk to me, I won't talk to you.
    • Engage in conversation about the previous group/show with those around you.

When at a drum corps show which of the following do you enjoy more...for me, I like to commiserate with those around me (and my group) and get their thoughts and ideas about the previous show. I like to hear what people outside my small little group think (as sometimes groups can be very homogeneous in their thinking about a group/show), and see if they have any "inside knowledge," tidbits, or facts about the group.  For example, my buddy and I go every year to several shows, and the 3 nights of Finals week (Prelims, Semis, Finals), and have actually made some friends with the people we sat by one year, and go over and talk to them each year about the shows/groups, and catch up.  It's not a deep personal relationship, but one we enjoy each year for 3 days/nights.

• Like 2

I'm with you on this. It's nice to chat with the folks near us, as long as we're not bothering them and they're not bothering us.

At DCI East this year, we sat next to two guys who had never seen drum corps before. They asked us a bunch of questions, and we were glad to answer them!!!

• Like 5

If I only go to one show a year, I only want to chat with the person/s I came with.  I want to take in as much of the show as I can without any outside opinions.  Now, if I am going to a show where I am sitting with the same neighbors for three days, then let's be friends.  Let's have a beer afterwards and discuss our thoughts on what we have seen and how we can make everything in DCI right. 

Out of respect to those around me, I keep my trap shut during the performances, and my cell phone in the off mode. Between performances, I might chat with strangers sitting next to me if they are inclined to ask questions, or just want to shoot the breeze between the performances on the field. .But usually, I'm at shows with family and/ or friends, so between performances, I'm more than  likely to be found talking to them most of all..

• Like 2

2 hours ago, ibexpercussion said:

When at a drum corps show which of the following do you enjoy more...for me, I like to commiserate with those around me (and my group) and get their thoughts and ideas about the previous show. I like to hear what people outside my small little group think (as sometimes groups can be very homogeneous in their thinking about a group/show), and see if they have any "inside knowledge," tidbits, or facts about the group.  For example, my buddy and I go every year to several shows, and the 3 nights of Finals week (Prelims, Semis, Finals), and have actually made some friends with the people we sat by one year, and go over and talk to them each year about the shows/groups, and catch up.  It's not a deep personal relationship, but one we enjoy each year for 3 days/nights.

Well my group of people broke up years ago now so being I am flying solo at almost every show I go to, I always enjoying engaging with folks sitting nearby. I gage their interest in chatting and if they don't mind we'll Chat. I enjoyed chatting with so many different folks over the years :)

• Like 2

i dont mind talking to others...you can often learn stuff. however if they are the super homers, who talk down anyone not wearing their colors, i'll ignore them

• Like 4

34 minutes ago, Jeff Ream said:

i dont mind talking to others...you can often learn stuff. however if they are the super homers, who talk down anyone not wearing their colors, i'll ignore them

Agreed.  Which do you dislike more, the SUPER HOMERS, or the KNOW-IT-ALLS, or THE I'M GOING TO LIE ABOUT HAVING MARCHED DRUM CORPS (when you talk to/question them, it is obvious that they never have)?  This past year on Finals night we had a know-it-all sitting behind us, and I finally turned around and told him to shut up.  He was even talking during the shows.  The worst part is, and I know this may make me seem like the "Get off my lawn guy," mixed with a bit of elitism, but he was young (17-19 years old), and when I asked, he had never marched drum corps.  Don;t get me wrong, I've met young people who know their stuff about drum corps, even the stuff before their time, and I don't mind if someone hasn't marched, but just don't talk like you have.

• Like 1

When my mother was alive and my youngest niece was growing up, I had a choice of Finals or a vacation with my family, and the vacation always won out which given I was at the Cape (Cape Cod), I was not exactly suffering, not to mention the memories, but during those years I only saw one or two shows a year. Since 2012, finding a common vacation time was a challenge which made it possible to include Allentown and Indy in my vacation plans so now I usually see between 8-10 shows. When I went to only one or two shows per year, I usually went with others and probably did not do a lot of talking to people around me between corps. Now that I go to more shows, I sometimes go on my own, which I do with Indy. In Indy I sit in a block and have gotten to know the people around me. At other shows if I am alone, I sometimes strike up a conversation, sometimes others do. I enjoy it. What drives me crazy is when you get a know it all boar who may know a few things about drum corps either of yesterday or today who pontificates as if he, and it's usually a he, knows more than anyone else who has ever lived. This person will interrupt conversations, say something rediculous like "I remember when George Hopkins was director of Blue Devils..." or "My favorite show of the past is Star in 1994. The crowd in Dallas went wild."  Or, a true example, when Blue Stars took the field in Allentown in 2016, a know it all behind me, who trashed Cadets in the Cadets block with Cadets parents and alums in the vicinity all night long, never a classy thing to do, started chanting "Bloo." 

In short, if you want to talk drum corps, you are respectful, and even if you don't like a show you remember that chances are the kid on the field is young enough to be your son or daughter and has more talent than you may have had, great. If you're old school, I can go back as far as 1975. If you're new, I can share what I know. If you know it all, why talk to me? You know it all anyway.

I don’t like to talk to people around me. Usually between corps I stretch, run to the washroom, grab a beer or whisper snarky comments in the ear of whomever I’m attending the show with. If someone feels compelled to talk to me, I say as little as possible, never offer much feedback and try to kill it politely. See, we all hate know it all boars which is what I would come off as if I were to indulge the chatter. Plus I sort of like letting people show me what they don’t know. I also never wear any drum corps gear to shows and would never cop to marching

2 hours ago, ibexpercussion said:

Agreed.  Which do you dislike more, the SUPER HOMERS, or the KNOW-IT-ALLS, or THE I'M GOING TO LIE ABOUT HAVING MARCHED DRUM CORPS (when you talk to/question them, it is obvious that they never have)?  This past year on Finals night we had a know-it-all sitting behind us, and I finally turned around and told him to shut up.  He was even talking during the shows.  The worst part is, and I know this may make me seem like the "Get off my lawn guy," mixed with a bit of elitism, but he was young (17-19 years old), and when I asked, he had never marched drum corps.  Don;t get me wrong, I've met young people who know their stuff about drum corps, even the stuff before their time, and I don't mind if someone hasn't marched, but just don't talk like you have.

i dislike super homers more. know it all i usually catch and correct them. it's fun seeing their face when corrected.....and if they try to argue, my phone can find the proper site with the needed info

:bluedevil:

• Haha 1